01 canes vs 08 gators | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

01 canes vs 08 gators

finsheatcanes

Rookie
Reaction score
who would win the 01 canes or the 08 gators they seem like two of the best teams of the 2000s crushing teams soo if they played each other which one do you you think would win?

The 2001 Miami Hurricanes and it wouldn't be close. That may very well be the greatest college football team ever.

The 2001 Miami Hurricanes and it wouldn't be close. That may very well be the greatest college football team ever.

Best team I've ever seen....though the 86 team was fantastic aside from the Fiasco Bowl loss.

01 was absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball...loaded.

No doubt about it. Outside of the 2001 Hurricanes team, I think the only team that could really give them a run for their money would be Tom Osborne's 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers team. I believe that team averaged 51 points a game which is just ridiculous. Tommy Frazier and that option couldn't be stopped.

Eric Crouch and the option, however, different story.

No doubt about it. Outside of the 2001 Hurricanes team, I think the only team that could really give them a run for their money would be Tom Osborne's 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers team. I believe that team averaged 51 points a game which is just ridiculous. Tommy Frazier and that option couldn't be stopped.

Eric Crouch and the option, however, different story.

Frazier from Manatee High in Bradenton.

That team was pretty awesome. I still think the 2001 Miami team was better though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-2001-miami-hurricanes-were-the-best-ever

Great article regarding this argument! No doubt about it, this was the best team ever assembled.....Clinton Portis, Najeh Davenport, Frank Gore, and Willis McGahee all in the same backfield is just insane!!

23 total players drafted
16 first round draft picks
18 combined Pro Bowls
9 combined All-Pros

With these criteria, it is fairly simple to show that Miami in 2001 was far and away the best team to ever grace the football field. In fact, I almost believe they could have beaten the worst NFL team.

The 2001 Hurricanes defense would just destroy Tim Tebow. That was perhaps one of the greatest college football teams ever produced.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-2001-miami-hurricanes-were-the-best-ever

Great article regarding this argument! No doubt about it, this was the best team ever assembled.....Clinton Portis, Najeh Davenport, Frank Gore, and Willis McGahee all in the same backfield is just insane!!

23 total players drafted
16 first round draft picks
18 combined Pro Bowls
9 combined All-Pros

With these criteria, it is fairly simple to show that Miami in 2001 was far and away the best team to ever grace the football field. In fact, I almost believe they could have beaten the worst NFL team.

Don't forget Winslow/Shockey at the TE.
Buchanon/Rumph/Rolle/Taylor in the secondary

Unreal.

If anything i'd like to see the 01 Canes go up against maybe the 04 Trojans or something. But i still think the Canes take it with ease.

I don't think there was ever a team that would match up well with them.

They were loaded at every position. I think they would have beaten the Bengals that year.

'01 Canes

42.6 PPG and 9.75 PA

'08 Gators

46.3 PPG and 12.3

Head to Head

Urban Meyer > Larry Coker

Tebow > Dorsey

Florida RB's > UM RB's

Florida WR's > UM WR's

Florida OL > UM OL

Florida D < UM D

Extremely easy to sit here and say anything but who knows really?

'01 Canes

42.6 PPG and 9.75 PA

'08 Gators

46.3 PPG and 12.3

Head to Head

Urban Meyer > Larry Coker

Tebow > Dorsey

Florida RB's > UM RB's

Florida WR's > UM WR's

Florida OL > UM OL

Florida D < UM D

Extremely easy to sit here and say anything but who knows really?

The coaching edge certainly goes to Urban Meyer. The edge at quarterback goes to Tebow but the gap isn't as large as most think. Dorsey was a GREAT college quarterback. As far as running backs go, I think the edge definitely goes to Miami with Clinton Portis and Frank Gore. Wide receivers I can see going either way because I think Andre Johnson was a more true receiver than Percy Harvin who is not a route runner but more of a dynamic game changer. Offensive line could go either way but Miami had two first-team all-Americans. It's not even close on the defensive side of the ball. Florida may have only allowed roughly 13 points a game this season but Miami only allowed 10 roughly and played 5 teams in the top 15.

Back
Top Bottom