01 canes vs 08 gators | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

01 canes vs 08 gators

The coaching edge certainly goes to Urban Meyer. The edge at quarterback goes to Tebow but the gap isn't as large as most think. Dorsey was a GREAT college quarterback. As far as running backs go, I think the edge definitely goes to Miami with Clinton Portis and Frank Gore. Wide receivers I can see going either way because I think Andre Johnson was a more true receiver than Percy Harvin who is not a route runner but more of a dynamic game changer. Offensive line could go either way but Miami had two first-team all-Americans. It's not even close on the defensive side of the ball. Florida may have only allowed roughly 13 points a game this season but Miami only allowed 10 roughly and played 5 teams in the top 15.

I agree with most of that except for the running backs. Florida has 3 guys averaging 7.4, 8.0, and 9.6 a carry.

Good post.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-2001-miami-hurricanes-were-the-best-ever

Great article regarding this argument! No doubt about it, this was the best team ever assembled.....Clinton Portis, Najeh Davenport, Frank Gore, and Willis McGahee all in the same backfield is just insane!!

23 total players drafted
16 first round draft picks
18 combined Pro Bowls
9 combined All-Pros

With these criteria, it is fairly simple to show that Miami in 2001 was far and away the best team to ever grace the football field. In fact, I almost believe they could have beaten the worst NFL team.

Without a doubt, not only were the 01 Canes better than any gator team, they were the best team ever in college football.

I think our O-line gave up only 2-3 sacks all year in 2001.

Definitely the best team ever in CFB.

2001 wide recievers were definitly better.They had Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne starting then Andre Johnson in the slot.Florida can't match that.Then how would people choose Rainey and Demps for Florida at RB over Portis and McGahee.I mean damn that is scary.

Rainey and Demps don't possess anywhere near the physicality that Portis had. The only thing Florida's backs really have on Miami is the speed. Jeffrey Demps might be the fastest player in the land.

Out of the Seniors and Juniors:
Ingram
Harvin
James
Spikes
Tebow
Carl Moore
Louis Murphy
Jermaine Cunningham
Jason Watkins

All are SURE NFL draft picks (most 1st/2nd round). This doesn't mention the bunch of players that might just make the cut (SRs & Jrs): Epps, Moore, Stamper and others...

That's 9 for sure.
At least 12 (probably more) that will likely get drafted at some point, just in the Senior and Junior classes.

By the time this teams makes it though I think they'll be close to those numbers of the 2001 canes. I don't think they'll quite surpass them (it'll be close) but I'm just saying you can't cite draft/nfl statistics to say that UM team was better because the jury is still out on that one.

I'm not even counting the amazing young talent on the team: Moody, Will Hill, the Pouncey twins...

Out of the Seniors and Juniors:
Ingram
Harvin
James
Spikes
Tebow
Carl Moore
Louis Murphy
Jermaine Cunningham
Jason Watkins

All are SURE NFL draft picks (most 1st/2nd round). This doesn't mention the bunch of players that might just make the cut (SRs & Jrs): Epps, Moore, Stamper and others...

That's 9 for sure.
At least 12 (probably more) that will likely get drafted at some point, just in the Senior and Junior classes.

By the time this teams makes it though I think they'll be close to those numbers of the 2001 canes. I don't think they'll quite surpass them (it'll be close) but I'm just saying you can't cite draft/nfl statistics to say that UM team was better because the jury is still out on that one.

I'm not even counting the amazing young talent on the team: Moody, Will Hill, the Pouncey twins...

The jury is still out on what one? The Canes? Did you see these stats from that team:

23 total players drafted
18 combined Pro Bowls
9 combined All-Pros

I don't think the jury is still out on the 2001 Canes.

The Gators do not have 6 first round draft picks next year.

I always thought the 2000 team was better, that damn Huskies game where we almost came back from like 30 points . . . Dorsey's first game I believe.

2000 team:

QB - Ken Dorsey
RB - James Jackson
RB - Clinton Portis
RB - Willis McGahee
FB - Najah Davenport
WR - Santana Moss
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Andre Johnson
TE - Jeremy Shockey
LT - Bryant Mckinnie
RT - Vernon Carey

DT - Damoine Lewis
DT - William Joseph
DT - Vince Wilfork
LB - DJ Williams
LB - Jonathan Vilma
LB - Dan Morgan
CB - Phillip Buchannon
CB - Mike Rumph
S - Ed Reed

Just an insane lineup on both sides of the ball . . . what is more impressive? The RB's, the WR's or the LB's . . . all 3 were STACKED. U can argue that those WR's . . . those are 3 of the top 15 in the game . . . Wayne and Johnson top 10.

The 2001 team did add Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, Frank Gore, Kellen Winslow, Roscoe Parrish and Jerome McDougle

They lost Moss, Wayne, Jackson, Lewis and Morgan . . . both teams were incredible tho.

The jury is still out on what one? The Canes? Did you see these stats from that team:

23 total players drafted
18 combined Pro Bowls
9 combined All-Pros

I don't think the jury is still out on the 2001 Canes.

The Gators do not have 6 first round draft picks next year.

Until every gator on that team graduates and moves on, you won't know how many will get drafted.

Sure, they probably won't get 6 first rounders, but 4-5 is possible.

Like I said, I doubt they will match the 2001 UM class, but I think when all is said and done they will be closer than you want to admit. So until we can compare both NFL draft classes from the 2001 Canes and the 2008 Gators, the JURY IS STILL OUT if you're using NFL draft as your measuring stick. You can't argue with that.

EDIT == Note that Miami ALSO didn't have 6 1st rounders in 2002 (year after '01), that didn't happen until '04. And if the right kids stay 1 more year and then the gators have some key ones leave their first year of eligibality, they can definately get to 6.

I always thought the 2000 team was better, that damn Huskies game where we almost came back from like 30 points . . . Dorsey's first game I believe.

2000 team:

QB - Ken Dorsey
RB - James Jackson
RB - Clinton Portis
RB - Willis McGahee
FB - Najah Davenport
WR - Santana Moss
WR - Reggie Wayne
WR - Andre Johnson
TE - Jeremy Shockey
LT - Bryant Mckinnie
RT - Vernon Carey

DT - Damoine Lewis
DT - William Joseph
DT - Vince Wilfork
LB - DJ Williams
LB - Jonathan Vilma
LB - Dan Morgan
CB - Phillip Buchannon
CB - Mike Rumph
S - Ed Reed

Just an insane lineup on both sides of the ball . . . what is more impressive? The RB's, the WR's or the LB's . . . all 3 were STACKED. U can argue that those WR's . . . those are 3 of the top 15 in the game . . . Wayne and Johnson top 10.

The 2001 team did add Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, Frank Gore, Kellen Winslow, Roscoe Parrish and Jerome McDougle

They lost Moss, Wayne, Jackson, Lewis and Morgan . . . both teams were incredible tho.

I don't think Wilfork was there until 2001. But both teams were great. Had they run Portis just a little more, they probably would have won @ UW. THe game the next season in the Orange Bowl was a thing of beauty.

I don't think the question of whether the 2008 Florida Gators is better than the 2001 Miami Hurricanes should even be a topic of discussion.

The 2008 Florida Gators aren't even better than the 1996 Florida Gators.

Tim Tebow and his lame duck passes would be picked off two or three times by our secondary and our defense would be able to contain the edges. Everyone seen what Miami did to Eric Crouch and that Nebraska Option.

Back
Top Bottom