01 canes vs 08 gators | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

01 canes vs 08 gators

They've actually lost a game to an unranked team too. While we had our moments (BC, VT), we never lost. They did.

That alone should take them out of consideration.

As to the 04 USC team that someone pointed out above...I think their 2003 team was better.

They've actually lost a game to an unranked team too. While we had our moments (BC, VT), we never lost. They did.

That alone should take them out of consideration.

As to the 04 USC team that someone pointed out above...I think their 2003 team was better.

This is just silly.

If we're talking about playing for the national title, I'll agree that the Ole Miss loss is relevant to the discussion.

If we're talking about what team is better, then it is almost meaningless. Close games sometimes just don't go your way. They lost by 1 point--there was a blocked extra-point!! Hell, the lineman might have sneezed!

Saying that the loss automatically makes them 'not as good as 2001 UM' is like saying that the 2007 Patriots are a worse team than the 2005 Steelers because they didn't win the Superbowl.

Keep in mind about how much better UM would have looked in 2001 had they had an actual coach.

I think the loss is relevant. The 2002 team would have been remembered as just as good as the 2001 team had they not lost, now they're just recognized as the team on the wrong side of a controversial call.

Miami also played a tougher schedule in 2001 than Florida played this year. Beat 5 top 20 teams, completely demolished 3 top 15 teams and killed the #4 Huskers. Back to back wins over the then 14-15 teams 59-0 and 65-7.

OOC we played a tough UW team, @ Penn State, vs. Nebraska in Pasadena and home vs. Troy.

Remind me again who UF has played OOC besides an ordinary UM team? Hawaii without their superstars and a 3rd string QB? A bad FSU team?

2001 was better and it's not even close.

Out of the Seniors and Juniors:
Ingram
Harvin
James
Spikes
Tebow
Carl Moore
Louis Murphy
Jermaine Cunningham
Jason Watkins

All are SURE NFL draft picks (most 1st/2nd round). This doesn't mention the bunch of players that might just make the cut (SRs & Jrs): Epps, Moore, Stamper and others...

That's 9 for sure.
At least 12 (probably more) that will likely get drafted at some point, just in the Senior and Junior classes.

By the time this teams makes it though I think they'll be close to those numbers of the 2001 canes. I don't think they'll quite surpass them (it'll be close) but I'm just saying you can't cite draft/nfl statistics to say that UM team was better because the jury is still out on that one.

I'm not even counting the amazing young talent on the team: Moody, Will Hill, the Pouncey twins...

All these future NFL hall of famers and 1st round draft picks are gonna get the hell beat out of them Saturday night...i think Alabama's '92 team is the best college team of my lifetime,with an epic beat down of the"U" to cap the season off!!:lol:

Miami also played a tougher schedule in 2001 than Florida played this year. Beat 5 top 20 teams, completely demolished 3 top 15 teams and killed the #4 Huskers. Back to back wins over the then 14-15 teams 59-0 and 65-7.

OOC we played a tough UW team, @ Penn State, vs. Nebraska in Pasadena and home vs. Troy.

Remind me again who UF has played OOC besides an ordinary UM team? Hawaii without their superstars and a 3rd string QB? A bad FSU team?

2001 was better and it's not even close.

Your points won't be made by simply adding adjectives in front of teams names.

"Tough" UW team: 4-loss team....

"bad" FSU team: 4-loss team..

How/Why is Troy better than Hawaii?

Nebraska?

NEBRASKA?!
THAT WAS THE FREAKING BOWL GAME!! How will Texas or OU do for OOC ?
MY whole point on most of this is that the season isn't over, the Gator player's haven't gone through a draft, so you can't know for sure.

What about if Florida hangs 50 points on 'Bama and then 40 on Texas/OU and completely stops there offense, you're telling me that won't at least make you think a little harder?

I love the Hurricanes (and the Gators), I broke my TV remote during the '02 Ohio State game, but lets be fair, you can't compare apples to seedlings, I think the Canes are better, but not by much, and the Gators could still change my mind depending on how they finish up--that's my whole point.

I don't think the draft has anything to do with who is better on a college football field. Great teams do not lose at home to unranked opponents. 1 point or 10 points it should never happen. That separates the good from the great. Troy may not be better than Hawaii but they're certainly better than The Citadel lol. And yes, we certainly played the tougher schedule in 2001. We had some close calls but the great teams find ways to win every game and we did that. Honestly, I think Florida is the best team in the country and you have no idea how bad it hurts to admit that. But I don't think they're the 2001 Hurricanes. I don't even think it's close and I'm fully capable of putting down the Kool-Aid and setting my orange and green glasses aside.

Your points won't be made by simply adding adjectives in front of teams names.

"Tough" UW team: 4-loss team....

"bad" FSU team: 4-loss team..

How/Why is Troy better than Hawaii?

Nebraska?

NEBRASKA?!
THAT WAS THE FREAKING BOWL GAME!! How will Texas or OU do for OOC ?
MY whole point on most of this is that the season isn't over, the Gator player's haven't gone through a draft, so you can't know for sure.

What about if Florida hangs 50 points on 'Bama and then 40 on Texas/OU and completely stops there offense, you're telling me that won't at least make you think a little harder?

I love the Hurricanes (and the Gators), I broke my TV remote during the '02 Ohio State game, but lets be fair, you can't compare apples to seedlings, I think the Canes are better, but not by much, and the Gators could still change my mind depending on how they finish up--that's my whole point.

Wasn't just a bowl game though, it was a National Title game. Had we not taken the gas off the pedal, we'd have scored 60 points easy. But the bowl game was a bad example I suppose.

Considering I think Troy was a D1-AA team at the time, Hawaii probably gets the edge, but they never play well on the mainland, never have.

Florida State in 2001 was a better team than Florida State present-day. Washington was ranked top 15 at the time we blew them out, Syracuse was ranked 14 or 15, and Florida State hadn't lost at home in forever.

Why does Florida get a pass on losing to Ole Miss at home?

Tennessee is terrible this year, Hawaii isn't that great, Miami has been un-Miami-like, Arkansas has a new coach in Petrino and has played terrible at times, LSU/UGa/South Carolina are overrated.

I could go on and on.

Another example of all of this is that 2005 USC team that was absolutely loaded. Remember ESPN had that special seeing how they matched up against all of the great teams of the past, and then they lost in the Rose Bowl.

Who really thinks about them now? They're just a footnote in history, the team that was on the wrong side of Vince Young's phenomenal night.

Last edited by a moderator:
2001 Miami Hurricanes Schedule

Miami @ Penn State :: 33 - 7
Rutgers @ Miami :: 61 - 0
Miami @ Pittsburgh :: 43 - 21
Troy @ Miami :: 38 - 7
Miami @ #14 Florida State :: 49 - 27
West Virginia @ Miami :: 45 - 3
Temple @ Miami :: 38 - 0
Miami @ Boston College :: 18 - 7
#14 Syracuse @ Miami :: 59 - 0
#12 Washington @ Miami :: 65 - 7
Miami @ #14 Virginia Tech :: 26 - 24
Miami v. #4 Nebraska :: 37 - 14

What impresses me the most is the three HUGE road wins against tough rivals; At Florida State, at Boston College, and at Virginia Tech. Two of those three being ranked opponents. That team beat five ranked opponents although you could argue that some of those weren't worthy of their ranking. You could certainly make the case that LSU was not the third best team in the country when Florida beat them this season lol.

LSU has been terrible this year.

Don't forget we trounced UW and SU on back to back games when they were both ranked teams.

Wasn't just a bowl game though, it was a National Title game. Had we not taken the gas off the pedal, we'd have scored 60 points easy. But the bowl game was a bad example I suppose.

Considering I think Troy was a D1-AA team at the time, Hawaii probably gets the edge, but they never play well on the mainland, never have.

Florida State in 2001 was a better team than Florida State present-day. Washington was ranked top 15 at the time we blew them out, Syracuse was ranked 14 or 15, and Florida State hadn't lost at home in forever.

Why does Florida get a pass on losing to Ole Miss at home?

Tennessee is terrible this year, Hawaii isn't that great, Miami has been un-Miami-like, Arkansas has a new coach in Petrino and has played terrible at times, LSU/UGa/South Carolina are overrated.

I could go on and on.

Another example of all of this is that 2005 USC team that was absolutely loaded. Remember ESPN had that special seeing how they matched up against all of the great teams of the past, and then they lost in the Rose Bowl.

Who really thinks about them now? They're just a footnote in history, the team that was on the wrong side of Vince Young's phenomenal night.

You guys don't read, do you?

Florida doesn't get a pass for playing a horrible game against Ole Miss, just like Miami doesn't for playing poorly (or not as well) against VT and BC. Where they get a pass is in that the loss does not mean automatically that they aren't as good. It was a blocked extra point, great teams win close games, but man, sometimes things just don't go your way. You're telling me if VA Tech scored a late FG and knocked out UM, that one play knocks this team out of consideration as the best ever? I don't buy it.

You guys don't read, do you?

Florida doesn't get a pass for playing a horrible game against Ole Miss, just like Miami doesn't for playing poorly (or not as well) against VT and BC. Where they get a pass is in that the loss does not mean automatically that they aren't as good. It was a blocked extra point, great teams win close games, but man, sometimes things just don't go your way. You're telling me if VA Tech scored a late FG and knocked out UM, that one play knocks this team out of consideration as the best ever? I don't buy it.

Yeah, but as badly as they played, UM still didn't lose. Games on the road. Florida lost at home. To Ole Miss. Now if Miami had lost one of those games, you may have a point, but they managed to win both of them. Unfortunately, you can't say the same about UF.

3-loss Syracuse..
4-loss Washington..
4-loss VA Tech..
4-loss FSU..

Just because you guys add words like "strong" and "good" at the beginning of the teams' names doesn't make it realistic. Schedule and strength of schedule-wise the 08 Gators and 01 Canes cannot be far off either way.

Miami played them when they were hot and ranked, just like UF and LSU.. yet you're quick to point out how LSU is weak now but not how VA Tech dropped its games after playing UM.

The VT game was at the end of the year. I'm not even sure if they won their bowl game since I don't follow them.

Yeah, but as badly as they played, UM still didn't lose. Games on the road. Florida lost at home. To Ole Miss. Now if Miami had lost one of those games, you may have a point, but they managed to win both of them. Unfortunately, you can't say the same about UF.

No. But if UF takes the title they will have defeated

#1 ('Bama)
#1 (OU/Texas)

AND

at one point ranked:
Vandy (made it to #13)
Mississippi (Yes, even the team that beat them is Currently #22 in AP poll)

You can't just dismissed them

Back
Top Bottom