06' College QB Class | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

06' College QB Class

Jaj said:
I love how people doubt these prospects and start lauding guys like Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith, and David Carr.

What's their similarities?

THEY ALL CAME ALMOST OUT OF NOWHERE....

Rivers was a 3/4th rounder before the season started, Alex Smith a 3rd rounder, and David Carr probably a late 2nd.

Jacobs would probably be a 1st rounder today, so don't doubt him. Prospects improve immensely from the beginning of their last season to draft day.

Phillip Rivers hasn't even shown that much this pre-season for the Chargers. He's not as incredible as some think. I laughed when the Chargers took him over Roethlisberger, who has quite a bit better physical skills.

Exactly....you can throw guys like Carson Palmer, and Joey Harrington in there as well. It never fails....there are always 1-3 guys who shine a bit brighter than most for the last year in college footbal and are drafted relatively high. Also see Chad Pennington. There will be another guys a or two to show their stuff and make their way up there...how about Jason Campbell? This guy was suppose to be a piece of garbage until last season....a first rounder he became. So although alot of thie is premature i can never get enough about speculating who our next QB will be. Lord knows we need it.

Jaj said:
I love how people doubt these prospects and start lauding guys like Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith, and David Carr.

What's their similarities?

THEY ALL CAME ALMOST OUT OF NOWHERE....

Rivers was a 3/4th rounder before the season started, Alex Smith a 3rd rounder, and David Carr probably a late 2nd.

Jacobs would probably be a 1st rounder today, so don't doubt him. Prospects improve immensely from the beginning of their last season to draft day.

Phillip Rivers hasn't even shown that much this pre-season for the Chargers. He's not as incredible as some think. I laughed when the Chargers took him over Roethlisberger, who has quite a bit better physical skills.
i agree about rivers. i remember laughing heartily when the giants took him over roethlisberger. but rivers wasn't a 3rd rounder going into that season. he was a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder up until the last week or so before the draft for whatever reason. david carr was looked at like byron leftwich was looked at his senior season; small school guy who had pressure on him to do well enough to be a first rounder. but alex smith came pretty much out of nowhere, and i have no idea why he went so high

merlin00069 said:
Exactly....you can throw guys like Carson Palmer, and Joey Harrington in there as well. It never fails....there are always 1-3 guys who shine a bit brighter than most for the last year in college footbal and are drafted relatively high. Also see Chad Pennington. There will be another guys a or two to show their stuff and make their way up there...how about Jason Campbell? This guy was suppose to be a piece of garbage until last season....a first rounder he became. So although alot of thie is premature i can never get enough about speculating who our next QB will be. Lord knows we need it.
i've debated with a friend of mine on who is the worst first round QB drafted: kyle boller or jason campbell. pick between boller with his 48% career completion rate or campbell with his average season season lead by two top 5 draft picks carrying the ball behind him. both have NO reason to be in the NFL EVER

kastofsna120 said:
i've debated with a friend of mine on who is the worst first round QB drafted: kyle boller or jason campbell. pick between boller with his 48% career completion rate or campbell with his average season season lead by two top 5 draft picks carrying the ball behind him. both have NO reason to be in the NFL EVER

Well not that they dont belong in the NFL....only time will tell that. But did they deserve to be drafted in the first round? Nope. Boller boosted his stock with that 60 toss he did from one knee, and Campbell had argueably one of the best backfields in college football history.

merlin00069 said:
Palmer and Campbell didnt really come out of nowhere. Anyone who watched them closely knew that they had ability but also was aware that each had been thru 3 OC's in their first 3 seasons. When they finally got some continuity in their offenses, their skills started to shine like they should have

Tyler Palko and Brady Quinn both come out in 07 but they may come out after their junior years which would be 06.

Boik14 said:
Palmer and Campbell didnt really come out of nowhere. Anyone who watched them closely knew that they had ability but also was aware that each had been thru 3 OC's in their first 3 seasons. When they finally got some continuity in their offenses, their skills started to shine like they should have

Youre right...and youre wrong. No college QB actually comes out of nowhere. There are always people keeps tabs on every one of them. However i probabaly should have phrased it a little better and said that they had their best seaosn their last year ..therefore raising there stocks. Palmer was actually a #1 recruit coming out of high school but fizzled for 3 injury plagued years at USC. That is until Carroll got there. Campbell was also highly recruited for his "dual threat ability" but lacked any kind of QBing skill for years. I guess the best example i can use for this would be...lets say Akili Smith. The guy had one great season..his last at Oregon and some actually thought he would be the first pick taken in 99. We all know that was Couchs year and he had a 1000x more impressive resume and won out and was the #1 pick. (that worked out pretty good for the both of them huh?) So the fault is mine for not using the correct terminology. No QB comes out of nowhere, but some shine their last years and raise their stock to ridiculous heights.

Dolphinlife said:
Tyler Palko and Brady Quinn both come out in 07 but they may come out after their junior years which would be 06.
there can't be too many teams that want tyler palko. there are bad QB mechanics, there are really bad QB mechanics.....and then there's tyler palko. he SERIOUSLY needs to work on that before taking a glance at the draft

merlin00069 said:
Youre right...and youre wrong. No college QB actually comes out of nowhere. There are always people keeps tabs on every one of them. However i probabaly should have phrased it a little better and said that they had their best seaosn their last year ..therefore raising there stocks. Palmer was actually a #1 recruit coming out of high school but fizzled for 3 injury plagued years at USC. That is until Carroll got there. Campbell was also highly recruited for his "dual threat ability" but lacked any kind of QBing skill for years. I guess the best example i can use for this would be...lets say Akili Smith. The guy had one great season..his last at Oregon and some actually thought he would be the first pick taken in 99. We all know that was Couchs year and he had a 1000x more impressive resume and won out and was the #1 pick. (that worked out pretty good for the both of them huh?) So the fault is mine for not using the correct terminology. No QB comes out of nowhere, but some shine their last years and raise their stock to ridiculous heights.
In the cases of Campbell
and Palmer it all related to the revolving door at offensive coordinator. That alone is the sole reason they struggled though palmer did also battle injuries and expectations. Each went through 3 OC's in their 1st 3 season and in year 2 of their last OC's system they each blossomed.

kastofsna120 said:
i agree about rivers. i remember laughing heartily when the giants took him over roethlisberger. but rivers wasn't a 3rd rounder going into that season. he was a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder up until the last week or so before the draft for whatever reason. david carr was looked at like byron leftwich was looked at his senior season; small school guy who had pressure on him to do well enough to be a first rounder. but alex smith came pretty much out of nowhere, and i have no idea why he went so high

No I remember really well. Rivers was considered a mid 3rd round prospect, but the last couple weeks of the season he did well and his coach gave him rave reviews and on national T.V. he tore it up so he got into the early 2nd round range. After the Senior Bowl he became late first and his value kept rising up until many thought he had a chance at the Steelers pick. However, the 4th pick?

Jaj said:
No I remember really well. Rivers was considered a mid 3rd round prospect, but the last couple weeks of the season he did well and his coach gave him rave reviews and on national T.V. he tore it up so he got into the early 2nd round range. After the Senior Bowl he became late first and his value kept rising up until many thought he had a chance at the Steelers pick. However, the 4th pick?
He was thoughtof as a 3rd rounder (Rivers) but I think that was due more to the fact that NC State lacked the type of program, that, year in and year out, commanded media attention to his play and stats. If you ever watched Rivers closely in college (and im sure you did) he had everything a coach could want except for a cannon arm which too often gets overhyped. Great arms are nice but being called a coach on the field is far far more important. Rivers rose up when guys like Marino and Donahue felt his arm strength was more than enough to get the job done at the pro level.

Boik14 said:
He was thoughtof as a 3rd rounder (Rivers) but I think that was due more to the fact that NC State lacked the type of program, that, year in and year out, commanded media attention to his play and stats. If you ever watched Rivers closely in college (and im sure you did) he had everything a coach could want except for a cannon arm which too often gets overhyped. Great arms are nice but being called a coach on the field is far far more important. Rivers rose up when guys like Marino and Donahue felt his arm strength was more than enough to get the job done at the pro level.

Rivers was thought of to be a 3rd round pick before the season but after throwing for a bunch of 300 plus yards games and the damn lobbying by Amato Rivers stock rose like crazy. The Senior Bowl is what made him afirst round pick though..i think the absolute need for a QB was apparent by 3 of them going in the top 11 last year. Ill just never understand why Big Ben didnt go before...i mean i remember people thinking he might go #1 overall. the guy was a combine bada$$ along with having a great year in the MAC. Rivers did the right thing in playing good, and was at the right place at the right time(meaning need for a QB). Besides didnt Scottenheimer coach him in the Senior Bowl....i think i read that somewhere along with the fact that he loved him while he was there.

merlin00069 said:
Rivers was thought of to be a 3rd round pick before the season but after throwing for a bunch of 300 plus yards games and the damn lobbying by Amato Rivers stock rose like crazy. The Senior Bowl is what made him afirst round pick though..i think the absolute need for a QB was apparent by 3 of them going in the top 11 last year. Ill just never understand why Big Ben didnt go before...i mean i remember people thinking he might go #1 overall. the guy was a combine bada$$ along with having a great year in the MAC. Rivers did the right thing in playing good, and was at the right place at the right time(meaning need for a QB). Besides didnt Scottenheimer coach him in the Senior Bowl....i think i read that somewhere along with the fact that he loved him while he was there.
I agreed on rivers. I guess my post wasnt clear though i didnt talk about the Sr bowl which no question put him over the tope. But I feel that relates to the lack of national exposure which I talked of in that last post.

The need was there last for Qb but I tend to think that all 3 of those guys will end up justifying their selections with Rivers being the best of the bunch followed by Manning and Ben.

Ben fell to 11th cause of the level of competition and the obvious fact that SD wanted him more than Ben. Ben also was exposed late last year and in the playoffs for exactly what was feared. He was cuddled the 1st few games by a scheme which protected him and was extremely simplified similar to what NE did for Brady his 1st year.

Cleo Lemon > Philip Rivers.

2 years older, but is kicking Philips *** all over the place.
Lemon is probably making Rivers very expendable.

As far as college QBs... if looking for a non first round QB, Pinnegar looks to be a solid pro choice.

Back
Top Bottom