12 point underdogs to the Pats! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

12 point underdogs to the Pats!

Miami did have a 7:47 drive in the fourth quarter. Sure, the offense couldn't get moving IN ONE GAME.

You must have a short term memory.

Seeing MIA's WC and run formations get shut down was eye opening. ESP w/o Jenkins manning the middle.

miami didn't have a problem running out of their base formation against the saints. they just stopped running.

and yes, i realize the dolphins offense wasn't very productive against the jets. that doesn't mean they will never be productive for the rest of the season. In fact, i'd think the opposite. since miami has done good to great in the other 6 games...

miami didn't have a problem running out of their base formation against the saints. they just stopped running.

and yes, i realize the dolphins offense wasn't very productive against the jets. that doesn't mean they will never be productive for the rest of the season. In fact, i'd think the opposite. since miami has done good to great in the other 6 games...

IMO, with Cobbs being out we are all seeing the effects of losing him in the WC formation and the offense as a whole.

IMO, with Cobbs being out we are all seeing the effects of losing him in the WC formation and the offense as a whole.
i can see in the WC formation. Not sure about the rest of the offense.

I've noticed you are a glass half empty kind of guy. lol

It should be high, the Pats are playing great right now coming off there bye and us always finding a way to lose to the good football teams not playing in New York....If we can find a way to win this game the division is up for grabs.....

i can see in the WC formation. Not sure about the rest of the offense.

I've noticed you are a glass half empty kind of guy. lol

Na, just don't go around investing in things that aren't there.

IMO, the wildcat was stopped because we couldnt use it enough. If we are not moving the chains with our base offense that takes away chances in the wildcat. We will be able to move the ball on NE and the wildcat will get its yards......stopping brady will be the real test.......

Na, just don't go around investing in things that aren't there.
that doesn't make a lot of sense. You take stats from one game, and say you are worried about x or y or z. But you don't take what they have done the whole season and consider that at all. but, ok.

I live right outside of Boston, so I hear about the Patriots ALL THE TIME. First of all, here's a link to Belichick's comments from a conference call earlier today, he has a lot of complementary things to say about the Dolphins:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/11/belichick_qa_24.html

I'm sure there will be more detailed previews in the next few days, but in a nutshell, here is what to expect. On offense, Brady is rounding back into form, which coincidentally occurred when Wes Welker came back from injury. The Patriots are pretty thin at WR after Brady and Moss since they cut Joey Galloway and Julian Edelman (basically a clone of Welker that was drafted this year) is out with a broken arm. Thus, you'll see Ben Watson, the tight end, a good bit in the passing game especially since Miami stinks in covering tight ends. The Pats are also a little thin at RB since Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor are both hurt, but Lawrence Maroney has picked up the slack in the past couple of games. I would still expect the Pats to go heavy on the pass like they did in the second game against the Dolphins last year, especially since the Dolphins are much better against the run than the pass.

On defense, there's no question that the Pats have been weaker on the D-line since they traded Richard Seymour to the Raiders. The defense suffered a little bit early in the season when Jerod Mayo was out, but he's back now and he's the anchor of the middle of their defense. I think that they can be run on, but you know that Belichick will have put in a lot of time on the Wildcat since they are coming off of a bye week. Their secondary was a weak spot last year, but is doing better this year by bringing in some new corners. However, the big improvement has been Brandon Merriweather at safety, who is now a playmaker back there and gives them more options in terms of defensive schemes. The linebackers outside of Mayo are in flux: Adalius Thomas was a healthy scratch in 1 game, and 40-year-old Junior Seau played in a game less than a week after coming out of retirement to sign with the Pats. Plus, the Pats will show some 3-4 alignments, but have also mixed some 4-3 alignments in there.

Outside of the last game of the year against the Steelers, this is probably the hardest game left on the schedule for the Dolphins. This will be an extremely tough test, especially for the defense. One of the big keys will be withstanding the storm of the Patriots in the first quarter, as I expect them to come out and try to get up early to force the Dolphins to come from behind. The best thing for the Dolphins would be to have a long drive and establish the run early in the game, then setting up the play-action pass later in the game. Of course, another Ted Ginn runback would be great too!

I'm looking forward to more talk about the game, the only thing that sucks is that I have to work during the game!

I live just outside of Foxboro myself. They were pretty much laughing at us and the jets today on WEEI Boston but nonetheless there is a game to play next Sunday. I agree with the above poster, the Pats will pass often and if that doesn't work they'll pass some more. They are very arrogant about their passing game and will live and die with it regardless of the success it's having (See Jets game this year and 2007 SB). We need to find a way to cover Welker and the cast of players they will have running into patterns in the middle. Watson, Welker and Faulk scare me the most as we seem to get beaten badly by the guys who work the middle of the field. The Pats shouldn't be able to run on us but with the constant threat of pass may have some success.

The 150 Million dollar offensive line has not been good for a game and a half. They need to rebound as we need to play cramball with New England to have a chance. Sorry Dolphins fans crucify he all you want but to me it's laughable to send 1 WR out in a pattern and have it be Gregf Camarillo or Devone Bess. That is going to scare nobody, hello all but one guy in the box. We need to have Ginn involved.

You realize the Pats only allow 14 points average per game #3
in the NFL...I WISH OUR DEFENSE WAS NOTHING SPECIAL LIKE THERE'S

We'll see if those stats hold up after the next 5 games. We had a very tough early schedule and it lets up after this week. The Pats next 5-6 games have some rough ones.
The Pats haven't faced offenses like the Colts or Saints yet and they got to play the Falcons outside the Georgia dome.
They also got to play some pathetic teams like the Bucs and Titans too. That goes a long way to making your defense look good.

I don't care if we get stomped on by New England. All I wanted was a victory today.

GTF outta here with that. If we were to somehow win this game, we'd be one game behind New England with a 4-0 division record. So yeah... GTF outta here with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to accept that this will probably be a baptism by fire for Vontae, Smith, and Clemons. However, it's do reason to think this game is a blowout.

The Pats rush defense is so-so this year, and they aren't getting to the QB as much as they'd like (strangle enough, we are top 10 in sacks this year). I think they've been playing more 4-3 this year as well.

Also, I hate to say this because the Pats ARE a VERY good team, but the Pats last 2 games were against arguably the worst 2 teams in the league in Tampa and the Titans. Let me make it clear, I'm NOT saying they've played a cupcake schedule, but those 2 games were just as much embarrassing games from their opponents as they were impressive games from the Pats.

They WILL get numbers on us, but the only "good" team they've really beat up on this year was Atlanta and the Falcons have a lot of the same troubles we have on defense but worse. Yes I realize ATL beat us, but the fact remains that their D is below is in most major areas.

Plus, it's a division game. Only year we didn't play them tough was under Cameron.

ok

I love all the optimism, but can any of you honestly with a straight face say we are going to stop them from scoring at will on our defense? Don't tell me how we stopped teams for a quarter, or a half of football. Every team we have played seems to retool during halftime and score all over us during the second half. We will not win unless our defense plays well the second half. We haven't played a good second half on defense all year, plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom