‘2 Down Kiko Alonso’: A Canary In The Coal Mine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘2 Down Kiko Alonso’: A Canary In The Coal Mine

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
download-1.jpg

Just like with Burke, many say Kiko sucks and is useless. I’m not one of them. Overpriced…YES! Sucks, no. Kiko has strengths, but his stark weaknesses force him to be a system / situational player. It’s not his fault that he was poorly evaluated and received a large contract. And to be fair, he plays with 100% commitment and effort. He’s done everything in his power to earn his raise.

Kiko is a downhill player who needed to be kept clean on run downs. When there’s a hole, and he’s kept clean by the D-Line, he makes plays. There are plenty of successful LB’s with this skillset–the most successful of course can cover. And on passing downs, he needs to play Zone Coverage with an over technique covering a smaller zone. He works best in confined places in both the run and pass. In open space, Alonso gets exposed, except when in sideline pursuit. Worst case scenario, he’s a solid 2 down LB.

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-2-down-kiko-alonso-a-canary-in-the-coal-mine/

Just because it's not a running down doesn't mean he won't be targeted...Not the best analogy either, to put it lightly.

If I see him tackle with his back one more time I will lose it. Guy plays like he has no arms.

To be fair when all we have is a Hull, a AWOL Timmons and not much else made Alonzo look pretty good. Year before it was a hurt MSI and Jones etc so again Kiko shined. Maybe just maybe we have have a few linebackers that will take the Shine off the Kiko and put it back on the team instead.

To be fair when all we have is a Hull, a AWOL Timmons and not much else made Alonzo look pretty good. Year before it was a hurt MSI and Jones etc so again Kiko shined. Maybe just maybe we have have a few linebackers that will take the Shine off the Kiko and put it back on the team instead.

Kiko never shined.

Needs to be kept clean on run downs and is exposed against the pass unless he's only responsible for a small zone. ****ing useless in other words. He should be benched but then the FO will look stupid because of the contract he has ... and they can't have that. Not right on the heels of the super ultra next level genius move of releasing Suh.

That trade gets worse by the day. Man did I blast that one. And get blasted for it. Good times.

Needs to be kept clean on run downs and is exposed against the pass unless he's only responsible for a small zone. ****ing useless in other words. He should be benched but then the FO will look stupid because of the contract he has ... and they can't have that. Not right on the heels of the super ultra next level genius move of releasing Suh.

That trade gets worse by the day. Man did I blast that one. And get blasted for it. Good times.

Lol, Alonso has been their best LB since that trade and healthy. A big knock was staying healthy. He will be better going forward with 2 other capable LBs around him. That and Fins didn’t lose anything by trading back. They still got the top LT.

Last edited:
Say what you want about him, but he sure made the 2016 Chargers game I attended with my wife and 9 mo old that much more special!
That play he made there was the game and it was great. Last year he stunk up the field from sideline to sideline.

Kiko made some splash plays in 2016, but he was often a liability. The SD Pick 6, some fumble recoveries and timely TFLs made it easier to overlook his weakness in coverage, taking on blocks and missed or dragged tackles.

Unfortunately the liabilities continued, and worsened in 2017 without many splash plays to compensate for them.

If Raekwon McMillan does well at Mike linebacker (as is expected), don't be surprised if Kiko significantly improves and the LBers as a unit have a lot more success. The upgrade in the secondary with Minkah Fitz is also a plus for Kiko in that more of his teammates will be where they are meant to be and he doesn't get caught out of position scrambling to cover other mistakes.
We now have a lot more talent scattered across the Defense, but the key will be Raekwon and his leadership. He was terrific in college at Ohio State. The question is how quickly he comes back from his surgery (the feedback is excellent so far) and adapts to the NFL.
Some FH posters bitch about Kiko being too small (he's actually 6'3" and 240 lbs) and scared of contact but this is total BS - he can be very good with better players around him (btw he is an alpha dog and he is not scared of contact).
Bold prediction - Kiko is set for a good season.

Last edited:
Kiko needs to be outplayed by guys on this roster! It’s not his fault that everyone else on the roster is weaker then him!

We need a player to break through and make him expendable.

Until that happens we will be what we are exploitable in crucial moments

Back
Top Bottom