2 Million apart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2 Million apart

FINFAN15

Starter
Reaction score
From What I'm hearing on ESPN we are probably about 2 million apart on Guaranteed money saints will offer 10 mil Dolphins 8 mil.Now 2 million does not sound like alot if Bree's comes hear an as any kind of success he makes up that 2 mil just in endorsements.Why would someone want to play in New Orleans

1 Playing on turf with an recovering shoulder injury(if the super dome is ready)

2 Wide receiver cast is horrible Stallworth never lived up to expectation Joe horn getting up there in age

3 New head coach Sean Payton has no head coaching experience in college or pro ball

4 How will Deuce be coming back from Major injury

5 Fan base known for wearing brown paper bags to avoid embarrassment

What needs to happen is Brees needs to see us start going after someone else.

Doesn't Louisiana have state taxes while Fla does not? doesn't that make the difference less than $2M?

glh205 said:
Doesn't Louisiana have state taxes while Fla does not? doesn't that make the difference less than $2M?

That is correct. Brees should definitely take that into account. Good observation!

glh205 said:

ALL Miami players pay state income taxes in all states(One's that have income tax) that they play in.(So that would mean up to 8 games he will have to pay anyway.)

There are also residency laws about state income tax. I'm no tax lawyer, but if Drew Brees signs with Miami, and gets a signing bonus, that bonus would be taxed per California's state taxation regime. He needs to estabilsh domicile in Florida before he can take advantage of Florida tax breaks.

Its not about who pays you, its where you live.

mvtrucking said:
ALL Miami players pay state income taxes in all states(One's that have income tax) that they play in.(So that would mean up to 8 games he will have to pay anyway.)

no you dont. If you travel for your employer like I do, they dont charge you state income taxes for other states while you are there LOL.

You are only charged from your home state that you reside and work within.

Brees will be saving money if he signed for the same amount here as elsewhere.

But that doesnt matter for money that is in the signing bonus, which is what he is looking for here.

We should call minesota to just ask about a trade even though we have no real intention of making that deal. Maybe Brees will get scared and sign real quick.

mvtrucking said:

wait a minute..are you serious? YOUR employer the Miami Dolphins is still based in FLorida. It doesn't matter where you do the work. You're still working for and receiving your paychecks from FLORIDA.

As a Saints fan I feel obligated to reply -

1. True, it is impossible to argue against natural grass.

2. Horrible? Hardly, Joe Horn is still playing at high level. Donte Stallworth has improved, taken over the #2 spot, and is still solid deep threat. The Saints #3 is speedy Az Hakim. The only spot where the Phins receivers are clearly better than the Saints is TE. McMichael is better than the Saints TEs but young Zach Hilton opened some eyes last season when he tookover the starting job.

3. Me might not be Nick Saban but Payton does have a solid reputation in developing QBs. Heck got decent production from guys like Kerry Collins and Quincy Carter. He's from Parcells' system and is getting advice from his old boss (like sing a veteran QB instead drafting a rookie)

4. According to team doctors Deuce is ahead of schedule in rehab. He's also lost a little weight and his coinditioning is described as "perfect". The Saints are also going to sign a veteran backup (rumors from credible sources say Michael Bennett)

5. Saints fans haven't worn bags on their since the 1980 season when the team went 1-15. That was 26 years ago only 4 years before the last time the Phins went to the Superbowl....

One more the thing...on the no state income tax thing. The cost of living is much lower in and around New Orleans. Brees could live like a king in Louisana on the $2 million diference alone. Land and housing cost will be much, much lower (please save the witty, feminine hygene product Katrina comments for people who care). So don't count on that to make up the difference.....

off topic... Can someone post a link to your local espn radio station... think someone posted it yesturday, i think it was 790 or something. Thanks in advanced

Finsfan79 said:
no you dont. If you travel for your employer like I do, they dont charge you state income taxes for other states while you are there LOL.

You are only charged from your home state that you reside and work within.

Brees will be saving money if he signed for the same amount here as elsewhere.

But that doesnt matter for money that is in the signing bonus, which is what he is looking for here.

Many cities DO HAVE the "Jock Tax" for visiting athletes. You may want to read this. Just wanted to pass it along as New Orleans levy's a tax against visting athletes as many cities do:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/fe9737a23595921c41616df11dc3cd48.pdf

Back
Top Bottom