2008 Mets Thread | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Mets Thread

Pedro says: "Its ok if Johan has the ball opening day at shea"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...rtinez_happy_to_take_backseat_to.html?ref=rss

"Now Pedro Martinez, the ever-proud future Hall of Famer who still thinks of himself as a No. 1 starter, happily acknowledges that the Mets' new ace in town, Johan Santana, deserves that status, and he seems very willing to pass the baton.

"There is a lot of responsibility that comes with being No. 1, and I could still be that guy," Martinez said at his locker Saturday, "except that we have probably the best pitcher in baseball right now in Johan. That's a credit that nobody can take away from him.

"People ask me if there will be a rivalry, and I say, 'Wait a minute, you're talking about my friend.' We've got a very good relationship. We admire and respect each other."

With that in mind, Martinez gave Santana his blessing to be the Opening Day starter in Florida against the Marlins on March31. Willie Randolph has refrained from naming Santana, partly out of respect for Martinez, but Martinez says he'll be happy to be No. 2.

"I don't mind that at all," he said. "I actually like it better. The next day, all the hype is gone and I don't have to break my routine for introductions and everything. I never liked it, but it's a great honor to be No. 1 so I did it.

"I don't care where I am in the rotation. That's taboo (to make an issue of) whether you're No. 1 or No. 2. As long as I have a spot in the rotation, I have the same opportunity as Johan to do exactly as him. There is no jealousy."

How's your new reliever??? :unsure:

Oh I forgot, he hurt himself already.

Phillies closer Brad Lidge caught a spike in the mound on his first pitch of batting practice Saturday and hurt the same knee he had surgery on in October

:badmood: We'll be ok.

Flash Gordon to the rescue. :winkwink: Lidge will be back before the end of April. No biggie. :up:

:badmood: We'll be ok.

Flash Gordon to the rescue. :winkwink: Lidge will be back before the end of April. No biggie. :up:

Phillies closer Brad Lidge is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Monday and could miss the regular-season opener.

Lidge, Philadelphia's biggest offseason acquisition, limped off the field Saturday after injuring his knee when he caught a spike in the mound on his first pitch of batting practice. Doctors removed torn cartilage from the same knee in October

Phillies closer Brad Lidge is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Monday and could miss the regular-season opener.

Lidge, Philadelphia's biggest offseason acquisition, limped off the field Saturday after injuring his knee when he caught a spike in the mound on his first pitch of batting practice. Doctors removed torn cartilage from the same knee in October
Ha now they should check his head for a psychological diagnosis of whether he can handle the 9th inning in a big game. Albert Pujols tells me he handles it just fine the way he is. After watching him lose the Houston job 4x in the last 2 years Im inclined to agree. :beer1:

Ha now they should check his head for a psychological diagnosis of whether he can handle the 9th inning in a big game. Albert Pujols tells me he handles it just fine the way he is. After watching him lose the Houston job 4x in the last 2 years Im inclined to agree. :beer1:

We already know Billy Wags can't handle the pressure of a big game....that's why he was boo'd out of Philly....I've never seen a supposedly "great" closer choke more under pressure than Alpaca Boy. :lol:

One more week until Spring Training games. :woot:

roman, i know you loved billy and his alpacas when he was a phil. deny all you want, but we know the truth.

Billy Wagner = Pat Burrell's *****

maybe it's something with NL East closers?

We already know Billy Wags can't handle the pressure of a big game....that's why he was boo'd out of Philly....I've never seen a supposedly "great" closer choke more under pressure than Alpaca Boy. :lol:

One more week until Spring Training games. :woot:
Wags has been fine the last few years. Even Mariano blows a few years year so theres proof no closer is perfect.

Lidge though...have fun bro. :woot:

Come on NJ, his name isnt Kazmir, its Jesus. pelfrey gets the start tomarrow in grapefruit league hopefully that breaking abll is as sharp as everyone is saying it is,.

2 in 45?

Since 1980 the Mets and Phillies both only have 1

Forgive me if i fail to see your point....
Your team is awful. They always have been awful. The Mets have more WS titles in a fraction of the time. Thats my point.

The Mets came in an expansion era where for a long time FA was no factor.
Philly has been around since day 1 as the athletics and phillies and theyve always been bad.

If you want to bring up modern history well the last 25 years dont look so good for you.

WS titles: Mets 1, Phillies 0
WS appearances: Mets 2 Phillies 1
Playoff appearances: Mets 5 Phillies 3
90 win seasons: Mets 9 Phillies 5

Awesome team. At least Atlanta wins something once in a while and has fans that are knowledgable and not complete tools (not necessarily you) but Ive seen enough Philly fans and I cant really say how little I think of them other then theyre classless. :shakeno:

Your team is awful. They always have been awful. The Mets have more WS titles in a fraction of the time. Thats my point.

The Mets came in an expansion era where for a long time FA was no factor.
Philly has been around since day 1 as the athletics and phillies and theyve always been bad.

If you want to bring up modern history well the last 25 years dont look so good for you.

WS titles: Mets 1, Phillies 0
WS appearances: Mets 2 Phillies 1
Playoff appearances: Mets 5 Phillies 3
90 win seasons: Mets 9 Phillies 5

Awesome team. At least Atlanta wins something once in a while and has fans that are knowledgable and not complete tools (not necessarily you) but Ive seen enough Philly fans and I cant really say how little I think of them other then theyre classless. :shakeno:

The Marlins have a twice as many titles in the past 15 years....so what?, it doesn't make them great.

From GERRY FRALEY OF THE SPORTING NEWS
who had this to say about the Mets:

-- The Phillies aren’t the only team that hates the Mets. Flamboyant and preening, the Mets are the most disliked team in the NL. Opponents find it easy to get fired up to play them. That helps explain how Florida and Washington, the worst clubs in the NL East, went 8-5 against New York in September last season. Teams enjoy beating the Mets. --

:kick:

you guys must of clicked on the wrong thread... this is the mets thread w/ phillie bashing inside.

hey, i got another fantasy question for all: if youre in a league that has played in previous years, is it common for each team to keep 2 of their players to carry over into next years league? im asking because i am joining a league as a new team - the comish of the league said it would cool to not do this if i thought this was unfair, but now the other 6 owners think im bitching about it and want to keep their 2 players.

i see this as taking away the best 14 players in the draft... so essentially i get pick 15 and 16.

Back
Top Bottom