2008 Mets Thread | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Mets Thread

Phillips didnt lead that team anywhere. It was Valentine. All Valentine. And when the players rebeled against Valentine that was on him as well. But the success and failure was on Valentines ability to get the most out of his players.

All Phillips did was draft well. His Fa moves were awful. Kevin appier for 4/40? Awful in NY. Jeromy Burnitz? Bleh bad at best. Alomar deal? Gave up a 1st round pick (Billy Traber) who had value at the time and Alex Escobar (who was an elite prospect according to baseball America at the time). You could have done more. Mo Vaughn was so bad here it was laughable. Personal situations aside its the GM's responsibility whether it be Phillips or Minaya or anyone to account for those types of things and gauge the affect on said player.

He did bring in Piazza and Leiter but he gave a ton to do it when the Marlins were having a firesale. Preston Wilson, Aj Burnett, highly touted LHP Ed Yarnell...all those were guys teams really wanted and I had no problem giving something to get something. But then you have to account for things like bringing in Bordick for Mora (awful based on Mora's production and fact he had played SS at times for the Mets), bringing in Mel Rojas (thanks for bringing that memory back) and that alone deserves a D. Magnify it by the inability to resign Hampton who was an elite pitcher at the time and someone he basically emptied what was left of the farm for at the time and you can understand my ranking better. He never got the missing pieces needed to get by the braves. We needed an OF bat and the best he could do was Daryl Hamilton? Then signs him to a pretty nice (at the time contract extension? Ew.

I didnt misunderstand what you wrote initially...I just didnt agree with it bro. The mets are a big market team, act like it. Spend some frickin money. Minaya understands it, Steve Phillips did not. You dont have to be the Yankees but at the same time dont be afraid to use your resources. You CAN go out and sign a Pedro and Beltran when you need to not make up some excuse why you dont sign Vlad or Arod. You can do more then John Olerud (who dont get me wrong, I loved his time here) and Robin ventura but you dont back off big fish just because you got some medium sized ones. :hi5:

Fair enough.

Alright I'm done with this debate, no use going back and forth arguing about Steve Phillips, I mean seriously it's Steve Phillips. I understand where you're coming from though because I know what it's like trying to tell people just how bad Grady Little was as a manager :lol:

I heard that Delgado was sent back to New York today for an MRI on his leg.

I heard that Delgado was sent back to New York today for an MRI on his leg.
- Leg
+ Hip

Also Ryan Church sustained a concussion and Marlon Anderson a bruised sternum when they colided in the 4th inning pursuing a pop up. Not a good day to be wearing a Met uniform if you valued your health...hopefully nothing serious. :err:

Just saw a ticker on ESPN that Moises Alou is out 4-6 weeks with a hernia.

Just saw a ticker on ESPN that Moises Alou is out 4-6 weeks with a hernia.
Yeah, I read that this evening. I just laughed. I think he's contractually obligated to miss no less than one third of the season.

You know this suggestion may be a bit out there, but as much as I HATE Barry Bonds Minaya should be on the phone with him. Who else can replace Alou's bat? We need another middle of the order bat and Minaya is not against signing roid users (mota, Lo Duca)

If Church isnt ready for the start of the year Chavez would play RF. If he is ready Chavez stays in his role off the bench.

IMO the only thing that would prevent this scenario is the Wilpon's desire for a squeaky clean image.

Just SAY NO to the Barry Bonds circus.

At all costs.

Especially in new York. Keep the media snooping around the Bronx and listening to Baby Steinbrenner's stupidity.

Fly under the radar and win 92 games. We don't need Bonds.

BTW Guys...gonna plan a trip for next year. Gotta see Citi Field Open.

has anybody here seen what the park looks like now? How is the area? (Hotels? Nightlife?)

I am planning to go for a series next season.

BTW Guys...gonna plan a trip for next year. Gotta see Citi Field Open.

has anybody here seen what the park looks like now? How is the area? (Hotels? Nightlife?)

I am planning to go for a series next season.
Citifield looks like its coming along well. This is from another Mets board I like to visit, theyve been doing a running thread with photos....its about 450 posts long but you can click around: http://www.metsrefugees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2118&highlight=citifield+photos

The area itself sucks. The wilpons need to find away to get rid of all the row housing and chop shops surrounding the stadium but as you can see above the stadium looks nice. there should be some parking as well once they knock down shea (subway or Long Island Railroad is your best bet as parking is crowded and not worth the traffic)....

Tickets will be hard to come by because theyre only allowing season ticket holders to purchase in advance I believe but let me know when youre coming bro, Ill try and grab some tix and we'll drink some beer, talk phins and mets...:hi5:

Just SAY NO to the Barry Bonds circus.

At all costs.

Especially in new York. Keep the media snooping around the Bronx and listening to Baby Steinbrenner's stupidity.

Fly under the radar and win 92 games. We don't need Bonds.
Yeah its a circus but theres multiple ways to look at it:
1. this is a win at all costs year. Delgado, Pedro, Ollie, Alou are all key FA's next year. The committment to win is for now.
2. You have a bunch of guys who dont like speaking to the media in the clubhouse, one guy you wish wouldnt, Wagner, and 2-3 guys who seem ok with it but you wish wouldnt have all the burden (Wright, Schneider, Pedro). Bonds would take the whole spotlight, shift it to himself and that would, intentionally or not, alleviate the burden for everyone else
3. As I mentioned, we NEED another middle of the order bat. Why sacrifice whats left of the farm when theres one out there? When was the last time we had someone with a 1.000 OPS? 98? Hate bonds more then the rest of the board combined but Im not silly, the man can hit.

You know this suggestion may be a bit out there, but as much as I HATE Barry Bonds Minaya should be on the phone with him. Who else can replace Alou's bat? We need another middle of the order bat and Minaya is not against signing roid users (mota, Lo Duca)

If Church isnt ready for the start of the year Chavez would play RF. If he is ready Chavez stays in his role off the bench.

IMO the only thing that would prevent this scenario is the Wilpon's desire for a squeaky clean image.
Bro, I need a shower just from reading your post :lol:

I cannot imagine the media distraction his presence would create in NY. ARod and Jeter would never see the back page again

Citifield looks like its coming along well. This is from another Mets board I like to visit, theyve been doing a running thread with photos....its about 450 posts long but you can click around: http://www.metsrefugees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2118&highlight=citifield+photos

The area itself sucks. The wilpons need to find away to get rid of all the row housing and chop shops surrounding the stadium but as you can see above the stadium looks nice. there should be some parking as well once they knock down shea (subway or Long Island Railroad is your best bet as parking is crowded and not worth the traffic)....

Tickets will be hard to come by because theyre only allowing season ticket holders to purchase in advance I believe but let me know when youre coming bro, Ill try and grab some tix and we'll drink some beer, talk phins and mets...:hi5:

Cool. I have been putting off a Baseball road trip for some time now. Gonna do it for sure.

Mets and Indians in a good game on ESPN HD.....Indians winning 6-5 in the 6th.

Guys...you gotta see Lenny Dykstra's interview in Real Sports with Bryant Gumble.

You wouldn't believe this..but he is a financial markets guru now and he is reeeeeeeeeaallly rich. Rich enough to own his own jet.

You gotta see this. I especially loved how he explained his fight with Rick Dempsey at home plate.

He said that he took a "strike"..and looked back at eh umpire and said: "I want you to look up at that scoreboard....there is a reason that I am hitting .400 right now." "That reason is that I know what a ******* strike is."

Dempsey said something..tried a sucker punch..and they went at it.

NAILLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom