2008 Mets Thread | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Mets Thread

i think with the continued progression of hermida and willingham, along with hanley being hanley and uggla knockin extra base hits all over the place...our offense really wont miss a beat IMO...

to me, this marlins season comes down to how well we play defense(we lead the league in errors by far last year) and how well our pitchers manage to stay A. healthy and B. throwing strikes...as i believe we lead the league in starting pitchers games lost to injury and walks...

i can really see the marlins making a push at 2nd or 3rd in the division and before someone laughs me out of the thread...remember in 06 how scarred we made everyone with a team that was even younger and probably less talented...and before someone says oh well they had joe girardi MOY that year...he was terrible...it was all about the talent beinfest and hill assembled and they have a boat load more...anyways good luck muts fans!
Are you really saying that this
AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
588 91 188 38 2 34 119 332 79 127 2 1 .401 .565 .320
hasn't been replaced, but will not be missed?

C'mon. Don't you think that's a bit homeristically disingenuous?

Boy, I don't see the Marlins being even close to the Nats. In fact the Devil Rays just may have a better record for the Florida teams.

i think with the continued progression of hermida and willingham, along with hanley being hanley and uggla knockin extra base hits all over the place...our offense really wont miss a beat IMO...

to me, this marlins season comes down to how well we play defense(we lead the league in errors by far last year) and how well our pitchers manage to stay A. healthy and B. throwing strikes...as i believe we lead the league in starting pitchers games lost to injury and walks...

i can really see the marlins making a push at 2nd or 3rd in the division and before someone laughs me out of the thread...remember in 06 how scarred we made everyone with a team that was even younger and probably less talented...and before someone says oh well they had joe girardi MOY that year...he was terrible...it was all about the talent beinfest and hill assembled and they have a boat load more...anyways good luck muts fans!

Well if you want better defense the first thing FL needs to do is move Hanley to 3rd or the OF because he is by far one of the worst fielding SS in baseball.

I like Hermida a lot and think he'll be even better this year, I loved Hanley and I think he'll be even better than last year but the fact is you lost Miguel Cabrera who is a hitting machine. You can't replace him (and the Marlins didn't). Losing him alone will probably cost the Marlins 4 to 6 games.

And again I'm not a fan at all of the Marlins' staff. I like Andrew Miller but he's still young and outside of Scott Olson who is up and down the Marlins don't have very good healthy starters.

I think the major problem with the Marlins is they were extremely lucky in 2006. Not in terms of talent because they have it but with the fact that they didn't suffer any major injuries and a lot of their players (especially their pitchers) pitched way over their heads considering how young they were. I think that gave the Marlin players and their fans a sense of false hope. Again I think the Marlins have a lot of talent but compared to the Braves, Phillies and Mets they just can't compete, especially this year because those 3 teams are pretty equal although each team has major flaws (but then again which MLB team doesn't?). The Marlins just don't have enough bats or arms to hang with the top 3.

I'm not trying to knock any team I'm just giving my unbiased opinion here. I think eventhough the Phillies won the East last year it's still the Mets' division and they're the team to beat. I think the Braves are a big sleeper and could surprise a lot of people if they can stay healthy. But again the Mets are the team to beat. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Braves or Phillies won the WC.

Are you really saying that this

hasn't been replaced, but will not be missed?

C'mon. Don't you think that's a bit homeristically disingenuous?
im not saying it wont be missed...but i think cantu's offense and castillo's defense at third will help offset the loss of cabs...plus he was one of, if not the worst defensive 3rd bagger in the game...and his range and errors cost the marlins plenty of games last year alone

Well if you want better defense the first thing FL needs to do is move Hanley to 3rd or the OF because he is by far one of the worst fielding SS in baseball.

I like Hermida a lot and think he'll be even better this year, I loved Hanley and I think he'll be even better than last year but the fact is you lost Miguel Cabrera who is a hitting machine. You can't replace him (and the Marlins didn't). Losing him alone will probably cost the Marlins 4 to 6 games.

And again I'm not a fan at all of the Marlins' staff. I like Andrew Miller but he's still young and outside of Scott Olson who is up and down the Marlins don't have very good healthy starters.

I think the major problem with the Marlins is they were extremely lucky in 2006. Not in terms of talent because they have it but with the fact that they didn't suffer any major injuries and a lot of their players (especially their pitchers) pitched way over their heads considering how young they were. I think that gave the Marlin players and their fans a sense of false hope. Again I think the Marlins have a lot of talent but compared to the Braves, Phillies and Mets they just can't compete, especially this year because those 3 teams are pretty equal although each team has major flaws (but then again which MLB team doesn't?). The Marlins just don't have enough bats or arms to hang with the top 3.

I'm not trying to knock any team I'm just giving my unbiased opinion here. I think eventhough the Phillies won the East last year it's still the Mets' division and they're the team to beat. I think the Braves are a big sleeper and could surprise a lot of people if they can stay healthy. But again the Mets are the team to beat. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Braves or Phillies won the WC.
actually when looking at hanley's minor league defensive numbers...he was closer to league average...which is nothing to write home about...but having a little better defense at third and at 1st would go great lengths into improving the defense...and cantu and castillo(more so) should help that...now if jacobs can learn to catch the ball a little bit over at first and take some pride in his defense...then we will be alright

and i disagree...the marlins have as much pure talent in their starting rotation in the league...vanden hurk can be dominate once he develops a little more...miller for me, and in getting to talk to his pitching coach at UNC, will win at least a couple of cy young awards before his career is over and i think he will more than hold his own this year in a national league that isnt overwhemingly offense outside of maybe the muts and the phils...but again...health will be the key for the rotations

i think the marlins had a little luck going for them in 06...but girardi did everything possible to **** up as many games as possible with a horrendous bullpen, questionable if not down right suicidal defensive moves and just some other stuff in general such as getting josh johnson hurt...

i guess my major point is that when it comes to talent and experience, ill take talent any day of the week and twice on mondays...and i believe outside of the talent the muts buy year in, year out...we have as much as anyone in the league with with a little luck in the health and defense, the pitching will be better and that should get us to around 80 wins give or take a few either way

I hope his neck does not hurt from looking up at us in the standings! :rolleyes:

Get a stadium yet?

Yes, we got our stadium. The Mutts are old and their window to do anything has closed. No matter how bad the Marlins look now, they'll win another world series before the Mutts, book it. :up:

Yes, we got our stadium. The Mutts are old and their window to do anything has closed. No matter how bad the Marlins look now, they'll win another world series before the Mutts, book it. :up:
oh i love it...baseball is almost here! the time for talkin mad **** is back!

:woot::woot::woot:

Yeah the Phil's pitching has kind of sucked so far and they haven't had the best Spring Training, but it is kind of like preseason football games....you cannot put too much into it. We need Kris Benson or some kind of a 5th starter. I think Hamels, Myers and Moyer will be ok....the rest is up in the air. The Mets pitching has looked good but it is a long season. I think Pedro Martinez will be the key for you guys. He is the question mark. I can't wait for the first Mets-Phils series in April. :woot:

Hey Boik, J-Roll was right,,,,we are the team to beat. :D

Another fine pitching show tonight by the Mets

Santana 6 shutout innings 7 k's

good fernando article... i cannot wait for him.

in the mean time, do any of you guys think we should look for another corner outfielder? maybe a jason bay? i know he had a crappy 2007 and spring so far, but in 05 and 06 he was a 280/300 hitter w/ 30 hrs/100 rbis

i dont know, something just worries me about the lack of a big bat minus wright/beltran. are delgado's 30/100 years done? what do you think?
Id love to get Bay back here where he originally came from (rule 5 pick by Pitt took him from us after we rule 5'd him away from SD). Im sure Pitt will get a nice haul at the deadline if they decide to deal him. But it could be a nice option if Delgado is suddenly a 20 homer guy and a 250 hitter who cant hit inside pitching. I dont think Delgado will go out like a chump but its not exactly his call....

OK here are my predictions, unless there are a lot of injuries:

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies 92-70
New York Mets 90-72
Atlanta Braves 83-79
Washington Nats 78-84
Florida Marlins 72-90

What are your predictions?......don't be shy....we can sticky this or come back to it in September and see who was right.

NL West

LA Dodgers 89-73
Colorado Rocks 87-75
AZ D-Backs 86-76
San Diego Pads 84-78
San Fran Giants 69-93

NL Central - Who cares?

OK, I'll say the Cubbies.....1908 anniversary so this could be their year??
NL East
Mets - 104-58
Braves - 89-73(WC)
Philly - 81-81
Nats - 75-87
Marlins - 70-92

NL Central
Cubs - 93-69
Brewers - 87 - 75
Astros - 84-78
Cincy - 76-86
Pitt - 69-93