2018 Game 12 Snap Reactions - Barfalo | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Game 12 Snap Reactions - Barfalo

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
I did miss the first half of the game, but nonetheless I am very opinionated and decided to post this thread anyway.

- Jordan Phillips has had a lot to say since he left Miami, but once again it seems that his best conditioned body part is his mouth. I had to laugh when he encouraged the crowd to get loud... after he had just committed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. This guy is a flat out moron. All-Pro talent with replacement level brain.

- The NFL has a rulebook problem. Apparently, you can't even square up to tackle someone anymore. I know the league wants more offense, but perhaps someone should consider that college football puts a great product on the field every Saturday without resorting to this nonsense. I like college's targeting rule, but that will never be adopted in the NFL for one key reason: An official's call on the field would have to be reviewed. With terrible officiating and garbage calls on a weekly basis, there is simply no way that the League is going to open the black and white clowns up to that kind of scrutiny.

- Bobby McCain almost certainly should have been called for roughing the passer in the 4th quarter. He was not. I don't think McCain did anything wrong or it was a dirty play, but that was a lucky break.

- Offensive Line looked pretty crummy today from what I saw. Absolutely washed out in the running game, and some guys getting whipped in pass blocking. They just can't get this thing fixed.

- I'm not sure if I like or dislike Ryan Tannehill's "**** it, I'm throwing this football" metamorphosis here. On one hand, I think he's at his best when he's aggressive, but on the other hand, his arm is just not there. And with guys like Kenny Stills (and I'm not being critical here), that sort of play is going to be hit or miss for Miami. Fortunately, the second half miss was basically a punt, while some hits resulted in touchdowns.

- The wildcat call on 3rd and 1 late in the 4th quarter, what was that crap? Why telegraph that you are going to run the football and let Buffalo load everyone into the box? Put your quarterback out there and at least force Buffalo to respect a pass play.

- Matt Burke had no answers whatsoever for Josh Allen's scrambling, which is definitely something that Miami should have been prepared for. To still be unable to come up with any answers for it in the 4th quarter... is a little ridiculous. Allen did the Dolphins a big favor on that drive that ended in a missed field goal by sitting patiently in the pocket against Robert Quinn and Cam Wake on a 3rd and long play. He almost certainly could have done some big damage with his legs again if he had taken off with the ball.

- Is it a good or bad thing that Miami won today? The Dolphins don't look like a playoff caliber football team. In all honesty, Buffalo should have won this game if not for a couple of missed kicks and a Charles Clay drop in the end zone on 4th and 11.

- Josh Allen is a pretty good rookie quarterback. It was fashionable to rip on this kid from basically the moment he was drafted, and after a tough preseason everyone declared him awful, a bust, crap, etc. Yet if you've actually watched him play football, the kid's got a lot of promise. I don't know if he's going to realize it, but like Sam Darnold I think the team that drafted him was right to take a chance on him.

- Finally, my thoughts on this Xavien Howard guy:

Josh Allen was pretty quick and elusive for a QB, seems like a lot of potential. Tannehill did score in the 4th when needed and on that 3rd and 6 play in the 3rd quarter when he through it deep to Parker altho incomplete Iiked that play from the QB. But we also gave them a chance to win because of dumb stuff on offense.

The call on Kiko for lowering his helmet was absurd. It was a form tackle and well executed. No way that should have been a penalty.

The most infuriating part of the day was this defense allowing Josh Allen to rush for well over 100 yards and get chunk yardage time after time. No excuse for not adjusting through that throughout the game.

I thought RT threw it well when he had time.

Edit: The wildcat play was absurd. Gase should not call plays any longer.

Random thoughts:

So familiar to the Jets win, in that it was somewhat deflating. Should be a lot happier than I am but have the feeling this is just another meaningless win that does nothing for our long term future and only serves to save the jobs of those responsible for the product on the field.

There were positives though to take, that first drive was excellent, culminating in a great throw and catch for the TD. X again with the Ints, he's a magnet and surely a pro bowler this year, needs to be paid. The third TD was thrown in up into double coverage, but Stills showed why we should have been targeting him way more than, Tannehill took a chance and deserves credit for the throw. The 2nd TD was nicely schemed and a good little touch throw from Tannehill, Drake does the rest.

Thank goodness for ex players, Phillips and Clay were huge in the game, we would not have won without them today.

Halfway through that game though, I was just thinking how dull we are to watch, winning the turnover battle won us the game today though.

I hated Josh Allen during the draft process, thought he was way over hyped, laughed when the Bills took him. But honestly after today, I'm not laughing anymore, he's got some talent, just needs the right coaching, love his attitude too. The kid has a big future if he doesn't get bogged down in buffalo like a lot do. On the evidence of the games against us, the Jets picked the wrong guy.

Another game won with a low score, 21 points, I'm not sure how we do it as often as we do, but surely this isn't sustainable.

Is this the last game we win this season, where's our next one coming from ?

I don't know if I have ever been as blasé about a Phins win ever in my life as I am about this one.

The play of the game for me was the wildcat with Ballage on 3rd & 1. You convert, you win. And Gase chooses to telegraph a running play with our least effective runner, while also pulling his $20M starting QB out of the play.

There is something seriously wrong with Adam Gase.

The play of the game for me was the wildcat with Ballage on 3rd & 1. You convert, you win. And Gase chooses to telegraph a running play with our least effective runner, while also pulling his $20M starting QB out of the play.

There is something seriously wrong with Adam Gase.
To be fair - and I’m not a Gase fan - he’s tried everything on 3rd and short this year and nothing had worked. It’s not the play call, it’s the execution that’s lacking. That’s still on the coaches though.

To be fair - and I’m not a Gase fan - he’s tried everything on 3rd and short this year and nothing had worked. It’s not the play call, it’s the execution that’s lacking. That’s still on the coaches though.

Has he tried a QB sneak?

He keeps trying **** that requires the ball being snapped 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

this is the most boring and frustrating fins team I can ever remember.

Offense: hamstrung by lack of blocking. They can’t pickup blitzes or stunts. Defenders are defending 10 yards every play. Can only score when everything goes perfect acceptable.

Defense: if not for turnovers, this defense would be the worst ever.

Serious question: Mincah and Xavien are both pretty good on the boundary. Why are we in soft zones constantly? We have never shown that we are good at it. Why on earth are we in it 90% of the time?

Back
Top Bottom