2018 Preseason Week 2 - Game Thoughts | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Preseason Week 2 - Game Thoughts

The LB's seem to over run gaps and plug the wrong hole too many times last night. The safeties over committed on that 71 yard TD run. Which makes you wonder if Fitzpatrick was in a FS would he have made the same mistake? I'm going to say "NO" he doesn't. McMillan needs more reps, he's got instincts but looks like a player who'd missed a year. The big positive surprise is a tweet by Beasley who said Miami only gave up 2.5 yards per play outside of the 71 yard run. I'm very down on Tankersley and Harris, I was hoping for better improvement at this point from both. Not seeing it. It's obvious that the offense can move the ball, but, as usual penalties are killing the overall function of the offense.
I think Harris looked a bit better this week than TB. Tank is a mystry its like he has lost motivation hum thats coaching issue.

I think the defense looked competent minus 2 plays. The pass rush was there all night especially from Wake and Quinn. Howard did a tremendous job reading the QB on his pick.

The biggest issue was McDonald at free. In base there is absolutely no reason Fitzpatrick shouldn't be on the field at FS

I second Chase Allen in base, he gives the run D more thump and better fill. Baker should be nickel instead of kiko

I think we need to get allen in at sam

First team third down situations
3rd and 13 (created by running play blown up for -4 yds, would have been a holding penalty on Davis anyway)
3rd and 12 (created by Perry getting blown up for -5 yds)
3rd and goal 14 yds (Tunsil holding penalty, Tannehill delay of game penalty)
3rd and 25 (Derby offensive PI penalty)
3rd and 6

average 3rd down attempt on the first four drives was 3rd and 16, brutal. Have to clean up the mistakes. You can't have any third down success that way. And Gase isn't going to expose Tannehill in preseason on a third and long. He's not the only coach that operates that way in preseason. You can watch the other games and there is a lot of short quick throws by the starters. The short throws on earlier downs made sense also with the cushion the CBs were giving Wilson and Grant.

That wiff and hold by Tunsil in the red zone just makes you shake your head. Carolina has a good defense, but that was horrible. The guy just falls asleep way too often. Someone needs to appropriate the bong mask.

I'd put McTyer at the boundary, Minkah at FS and McCain in the slot for nickel. McTyer at least has potential to get better because he's only had limited snaps. I don't want Tank anywhere near the starting defense. He was poor last year when targeted. That's not unusual for rook CBs, but with the amount of snaps he had last year you should see a curve up, but it's not happening. Carolina's 2nd team targeted and feasted on him. I would hope for McTyer improvement and Lippett return to health in the 2H of the season at this point.

Raekwon I thought was better this game. Had some nice plays, but doesn't have top end LB diagnose capability right now. Hopefully it improves the more tape he watches and snaps he gets. Still missed at least one run fill. The Thomas TD he was flowing the wrong direction chasing the WR to where he had help in the middle of the field instead of diagnosing the TE across and keeping to his area of coverage. Ian Thomas is a very athletic TE.

Anthony is bad and Garvin doesn't inspire confidence either. The starting LB group in base is tough to determine. I'd rather see Baker at weakside than Kiko, but I'm not sure what you would do with Kiko though. Could move him to Mike and McMillan to Sam, but I'm not excited about that. Agree with a previous poster that it was a curious move by the front office to eat dead cap on Suh instead of Kiko and Branch. Part of it was locker room I'm sure, but I would much rather have seen Suh in the middle and Baker at WLB and Malveaux at 5th DE than the current situation.

You wonder how hard Quinn and Wake are going after it in preseason games, but good to see Quinn dominate a lower end starting LT. These guys will create problems for teams if we can get them to 3rd and long.

All in all, it's preseason and no starters were injured and it was a good test against a good team.

One other thing if note that I saw as a positive, was the 3rd quarter D-line consisting of Malveaux, Woodard and Taylor. All of whom were stout. I was very happily surprised by that unit.

The long run was 90% on Jerome Baker. I can't find a single thing he does better than McDonald.

Baker has definitely been overhyped around here. That's why I didn't get carried away last week when everyone else was raving about him. He basically inherited a couple of plays smack in his chest, but otherwise the limitations were obvious

Now I'm definitely starting to get concerned. I know it's preseason. And if we were seeing new mistakes, I'd be less concerned. But it's the same stuff we have seen both years under gase.

Penalties. Check.
Bad stopping the run. Check.
Can't get off field on 3rd down. Check.
Can't convert third down. Check.

If this continues in third preseason game, I may have to revise my record prediction down.

The middle of the D is spectacularly concerning to me.
I don't think the OL looks significantly better (though that needs more time to gel).

And please, go find a starting cb so we can put minkah where he needs to be.

Tank is the most concerning thing on that tape. I can see now why they are looking for a boundary corner in trade.

On the plus side I think we have 3 guys in the secondary who are gonna grade out a plus. X, minkah, and reshad.

Bakers a lot like Anthony in that the ball has to find him to make good on it. Except unlike Anthony he’s got upside. And a better feel which means you can live with a little bit of it. Just not strong side poa ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
@J. David Wannyheimer

I like Petty also. He throws a nice ball with some timing and he's got fire in him.

As far as dumbing down a playbook, maybe that was the case but he's not exactly dumb. As this Cimini article points out when the Jets drafted him, the average QB Wonderlic Score is 24 and his was 31. So he's not exactly Vince Young.
http://proxy.espn.gns.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post?id=51157

Now it's true that Kaepernick scored a 38 yet the Tomsula 49ers had to dumb down their playbook as much as possible for him and allegedly that still wasn't enough, so I guess there's a disconnect between Football IQ and general.

Baylor was a spread offense... is that a more difficult one to master? Either way, Petty didn't suck. Here are some of his distinctions so he wasn't exactly chopped liver
2013 ALL-AMERICA
2014 ALL-AMERICA, HONORABLE MENTION
2015 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE
2015 SENIOR BOWL
2013-14 BIG 12 MALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
2013 BIG 12 OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, CONSENSUS
2014 ALL-BIG 12, SECOND TEAM
2013 ALL-BIG 12, UNANIMOUS FIRST TEAM
2014 BOBBY BOWDEN AWARD WINNER
2013 EARL CAMPBELL TYLER ROSE AWARD WINNER
2015 COTTON BOWL OFFENSIVE MVP
THREE-TIME ACADEMIC ALL-BIG 12 HONOREE
EIGHT-TIME BIG 12 COMMISSIONER'S HONOR ROLL SELECTION

Remember the play caller we had in16’ that took shots down field and got RT to lead us to the playoffs? He’s still here

You haven’t seen that since then bc...

Last year was had cutler

He hasn’t called plays for RT in a game that matters SINCE THEN

The playcaller y’all fell in love w/ is still here. He just hasn’t has his puzzle pieces/his QB in a real game

Relax folks

Back
Top Bottom