2018 Week 2 Snap Reactions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Week 2 Snap Reactions

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
This game gave me heart palpitations at times.

FIRST HALF

- Miami outscored the Jets 20-0 in the first half. FINALLY! A good first half of football.

- Ted Larsen spent part of the off-season grumbling about how he deserved to be a starter and seemed genuinely tiffed that Jesse Davis got the nod over him. Well, Ted Larsen gave up a bad sack in the 2nd quarter by completely missing his blocking assignment and leaving a rusher unimpeded to the quarterback who was stepping up in the pocket to avoid edge pressure. Nothing personal Ted, I like your fire and your nastiness, but that's why you didn't get the starting job.

- Dolphins offense was putrid on its first two series. Weak pass blocking, and Tannehill's feet looked like they were stuck in mud. However, CREDIT TO ADAM GASE. He made the right call there: He doubled down on rushing the football to slow the Jets' pass rush and get Miami in a more physical mindset. I liked Miami's commitment to the run game.

- Robert Quinn and Minkah Fitzpatrick continue to look like two grand slam off-season acquisitions.

- How about that Kiko Alonso??? Volume forced fumble in the second quarter. I have to tell you, Kiko looks completely revitalized; he's one of the best players on the team right now.

- Great hustle by Bobby McCain on the last play of the first half. McCain ran over from the boundary and made a crucial hit on an extremely improbable play. I honestly can't say enough what a huge play that was. Bobby McCain, you're my, uh, Wanny Warrior of the day.

- Unfortunately, Sam Darnold looks like he's going to be a very good quarterback. But you could see that he is, indeed, a rookie.

SECOND HALF

- Miami's defense to open the second half was downright brutal. Baker, Jones, and McMillan all got humiliated on different plays.

- Back to back plays: Tannehill's embarrassing John Beck impersonation followed by Xavien Howard's clutch interception. I'll say this: I honestly think Ryan should have just eaten the football there. It sucks, but the Jets sniffed that play out perfectly.

- John Beck also played Center today. People will blame Sitton for the OL's poor play today, but I was also very underwhelmed by the play of Daniel Kilgore. Not just the bad snap, but overall I thought he struggled.

- Needed a better throw from #17 on that deep shot to Albert Wilson.

- Awful tackling in the second half. Kiko Alonso seemed to be the only defender willing to wrap up and tackle in the second half.

- Worst play call of the game: 1st and 10 inside the Jets 40 in a game killing drive and the Dolphins lose 7 yards on some weird trick misdirection play. Adam Gase needs to have his play sheet taken away after that one.

- Frank Gore and Ryan Tannehill were absolutely clutch on the game-icing drive.

Excellent analysis Wanny.

It wasn't Kilgore's best day, but that Jets defensive line are monsters. The bad snap was terrible, as was Tannehill's fumble. Those people crying about Tannehill's hand size, there you go, year 5 and you finally got a single play that proved your point. /golfclap.

Having a more physical OL that can open up run lanes really helps open up the passing game. Our offense could have scored more, and if it needed to, I'm confident they could have scored another TD at the end. But, what we needed was to grind the clock, so that was the right move.

Defense really showed up today. I particularly liked how we limited their running game, forcing the rookie to throw … leading to takeaways. Stop the run, pressure the QB, good things happen.

Great win. I have to lament two things:

why is it every year we can’t pass block well enough on 3rd down to pick up yards, but our opponents can consistently pick up 3rd and 10+???

Second, I saw Jets OT behind Quinn with his arm wrapped around Quinn’s neck multiple times today and there wasn’t a holding call. Towards the end of the game, you could see the ref behind the QB looking right at it.

Can you hear that Dolphins Fans, that’s the sound of Jets fans collectively jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge!!! 2-0 and a very seeet VICTORY it is!!! Now Excuse me, While I get back to my Delicious Pot of Chili and those extra Delectable Vanilla Cigars I’ve been enjoying. Time for me to kick back and relish in an extra special win today!!!

Ugly second half, but they came out with the win and that's what matters in the end.

I have to give Burke credit, the defense has been very sound the first two week. It gets more interesting this week with Spider 2 Y Banana coming to town and then the evil empire two weeks from today.

The Offense needs to do better, we can't keep relying on the defense to get turnovers or superb special teams play.

Great win. I have to lament two things:

why is it every year we can’t pass block well enough on 3rd down to pick up yards, but our opponents can consistently pick up 3rd and 10+???

Second, I saw Jets OT behind Quinn with his arm wrapped around Quinn’s neck multiple times today and there wasn’t a holding call. Towards the end of the game, you could see the ref behind the QB looking right at it.

Today we went 6/13 on 3rd downs...the jets went 3/10...

This looks like that 2016 team a little bit to me. Balanced run/pass playcalling, a quarterback who plays smart football, and a good performance in one score games.

Ever since Adam Gase's atomic OL purge in 2016, the Dolphins are 10-1 when Gase has his starting QB. I think that might be a bit fluky, but you could see why that's the case today. Guys struggled to get open downfield, and there were breakdowns in pass protection, but Tannehill was still efficient - 123.1 passer rating - and he made critical plays with his legs. I think that, at the very least, the quarterback and coach have an excellent rapport and that is a huge asset to the team.

Keep Grant on the field. He dictates coverage.
Wilson is a baller.
Danny almost got his ribs broke but we needed that first down as the O did nothing to that point.
Looking at the Derby TD just look at the pocket all you need to know.
Drake and Gore both need more touches.
O line looked like our line always looks vs the Jets nothing new.
So glad our qb is not gunshy about contact. Multiple times he does not even complete his drop.
Kiko gets a game ball.
To end the half that TE with his momentum he scores vs most nfl players Jones was not having it..
Why was Mcdonald so gassed on his pick he was lumbering like a lineman
Mcmillian has a lot to learn but he is getting lessons in wins ...
Quinn is a baller I love Hayes on this team
Our Dts deserve some love esp Devon
Baker is our weaklink right now but thats expected
Howard is a baller and not getting tried
Can we find a way to play the Rook more?
Anyone trust our kicker?

The 2016 chemistry has seemingly returned. But this time it looks like the coaching staff is in sync as well. Love the return of the Read Option!!! Love seeing Tannehill fooling defenders unexpectedly. Larsen was the weak link Today. I saw him give up 2 sacks. I’m pleasantly surprised at Howe good the run defense has held up so far, perhaps the subtraction of Suh was needed to get that improved?

Back
Top Bottom