2020 Draft we could have had | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Draft we could have had

not going to drive myself crazy thinking about all the could have been but Iggy was a big mistake and so was passing on Goedert but it is what it is

You can do this little exercise with every team in the NFL after every draft class. It’s rather pointless tbh.

We are not the only team who passed on those players. Sorry that life doesn’t work that way. 🙄
Hey M, I kind of like the OPs comment. It shows how random the draft can be, IF all of the players that the OP listed were picked by one team, it would have been been even more significant. But I think if this was done for every draft, the pattern you would see, is that there is no pattern. Actually the draft is similar to what I do, an average month, about 66% positive, a really good month, 74% positive.

According to this https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...layers-edge-rushers-premium-players-top-picks, about 69% of the data set, first rounders, become starters, and as the round go down, so does the percentage.

Since not all players are first round quality, you can see how important getting the first round pick is, because at the end of the draft you might end up with 30% or lower if you miss that 69%. I think it would be great for the BMW Data Guru Guy 😁 to run a set on Griers drafting from day one and see where he ends up percentage wise 😉😉

The Ever Needling VIPER

5. OT Tristan Wirfs

18. WR Justin Jefferson

26. QB Jordan Love - If we didnt trade down to select Noah.

39. RB Jonathan Taylor or S Antoine Winfield

56. DT Justin Madubuike

All of those players are Pro Bowlers except Jordan Love.

Ironically the only player who we selected to make the Pro Bowl was Tua but I would rather have Jordan Love.
I like Jordan Love as much as any non-Packers fan would, but I would not really prefer Love over Tua. There are things I like better about Love, but he's had just a partial season of good play. I'm not ready to say Love is better than Tua, although I can see how he certainly might be better. It just depends on what he does next season. Tua's had multiple good seasons in what looks to be a bright career.

Just because I'm not crazy about Tua doesn't mean I discount what he is doing. For all anyone on this site knows, Tua could go on to become a 2x Superbowl MVP. I never would have predicted that for Eli Manning. I totally would have taken Peyton over Eli any day of the week, too. But Eli's the 2x Superbowl MVP while Peyton is not.

I like Jordan Love as much as any non-Packers fan would, but I would not really prefer Love over Tua. There are things I like better about Love, but he's had just a partial season of good play. I'm not ready to say Love is better than Tua, although I can see how he certainly might be better. It just depends on what he does next season. Tua's had multiple good seasons in what looks to be a bright career.

Just because I'm not crazy about Tua doesn't mean I discount what he is doing. For all anyone on this site knows, Tua could go on to become a 2x Superbowl MVP. I never would have predicted that for Eli Manning. I totally would have taken Peyton over Eli any day of the week, too. But Eli's the 2x Superbowl MVP while Peyton is not.
I'll always love Eli for beating NE on their perfect season

I'll always love Eli for beating NE on their perfect season

My younger son is named Eli. My wife is a Giants fan and I certainly had no problem with that name when she chose it. Shes Irish and I am Greek, so in Greek we call him Elias.

But ya, the biggest win the Miami Dolphins have had in the last 30 years was via the NY Giants beating the Patriots (twice actually). Nothing the Dolphins have done on the field matters more than what the Giants did for us.

There are some Dolphins who actually hate the Giants for some reason and it irks me.

Well, this is and has been an issue for a long time. The last 2 years we have had the least amount of draft picks available. Also looking at just the last 2 years, Achane is the only player who has really provided dividends. Waddle, Phillips, and Holland are 3 great players, all 3 in the first 2 rounds. The other 4 players off of that draft suck. Tua and Hunt have been decent, and Jackson and Davis serviceable, the other 5 players suck. The year before, Wilkins has been very good, but not great and AVG has been a solid back up.

Our drafts over the past 5 years have produced only a handful of players who are what I would call championship caliber. Our drafting is killing us, our lack of picks is killing us, and our over reaching in FA and trades has put us in the position we are in now. Way over the cap, hard to sign our few good players we drafted, and limiting our draft selections yet again. We need a new GM period!!!!!!

Re-drafts are always fun. Lot of good videos on YouTube where they redraft the first rounds of drafts. Most teams get it “wrong”. Some of y’all are out for blood on every thread sheesh relax a little

5. OT Tristan Wirfs

18. WR Justin Jefferson

26. QB Jordan Love - If we didnt trade down to select Noah.

39. RB Jonathan Taylor or S Antoine Winfield

56. DT Justin Madubuike

All of those players are Pro Bowlers except Jordan Love.

Ironically the only player who we selected to make the Pro Bowl was Tua but I would rather have Jordan Love.

Jordan Love would be out of the league by now if we drafted him. He was raw and needed those 3 years of sitting. We would have rushed to play him like we did Tua, he would have sucked and the fan base would have turned much faster. It’s a cute experiment to look back but that’s the reality. Love would of been ran out of town.

My younger son is named Eli. My wife is a Giants fan and I certainly had no problem with that name when she chose it. Shes Irish and I am Greek, so in Greek we call him Elias.

But ya, the biggest win the Miami Dolphins have had in the last 30 years was via the NY Giants beating the Patriots (twice actually). Nothing the Dolphins have done on the field matters more than what the Giants did for us.

There are some Dolphins who actually hate the Giants for some reason and it irks me.
DNA test...PRONTO🤣

Truth hurts

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Re-Correction. No! We needed to take a QB at 5. Regardless of who we took, we needed a QB

That’s how average teams are built. Also Flores was dead set on Fitz Magic. Even though I don’t like Flores I don’t see a reason to create more tension in the building by drafting a guy he clearly didn’t want.

I would have passed on Tua and Herbert and instead focused on building a strong supporting offensive group first so that a new QB would have a decent line and weapons rather than get crushed like Tua did. I'm going to defend Fitzpatrick here and say that I would have kept Fitz as my starting QB during this rebuild.

Yes, FitzTragic could lose games, but FitzMagic made guys like Parker, Gesicki, and Preston Williams look like Pro-Bowlers. He was a smart guy and usually made plays when things broke down, and after gutting the roster with Grier not being able to build a good o-line, plays broke down a lot. I still remember seeing him run with the ball and not only break tackles but run over defenders... let's see Tua do that!

And, yes, he has a poor reputation and has never made the playoffs, but IMO that's because he has constantly moved from bad team to bad team. I truly believe that given a good o-line (built by a good GM!) and guys like Hill, Waddle, Mostert, Achane, Smythe (or Gesicki?) and some others, Fitz would have easily led the Dolphins to the playoffs and even advanced.

Lastly, to Bob512, it seems that we've been butting heads in several threads lately. Apparently, we have differing views and opinions on what's wrong with the team and how to improve it. It's all good; we just see things from different perspectives. I may not agree with you on everything, but I do respect your opinions. I'm glad that you've always been very civil about this, as there are others who get nasty and make personal attacks, thereby earning a spot on my ignore list. Thank you for helping to make this forum an interesting place for all. :UP:

Back
Top Bottom