2020 Draft we could have had | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Draft we could have had

5. OT Tristan Wirfs

18. WR Justin Jefferson

26. QB Jordan Love - If we didnt trade down to select Noah.

39. RB Jonathan Taylor or S Antoine Winfield

56. DT Justin Madubuike

All of those players are Pro Bowlers except Jordan Love.

Ironically the only player who we selected to make the Pro Bowl was Tua but I would rather have Jordan Love.

Biggest problem with this scenario is Flores would still be the coach and some former Patriot wanker would be our OC.

you can make a very reasonable argument that we have not drafted well in the 1st round the past 4 years.

Tua Tagovailoa
Austin Jackson
Jaylen Waddle
Jaelan Phillips

couldn't disagree more with anybody making that "reasonable argument."

Could it have been better? Always.

Is there any way I could look at who we have added to the team in the first round in 20 and 21 and say "didn't draft well" in those years? Not a chance.

In 2022 and 2023 we traded extremely late first round picks for Tyreek Hill and Bradley Chubber, and I am not even factoring that into the talent influx.

2020 draft was fine.

Jordan Love? LMFAO.

you realize that in Jordan Love's first year starting, he threw for more TD's in a single season than Tua ever has in a single season AND he won a playoff game with far less talent at WR and RB. I'm not saying that Jordan Love is already better than Tua but to laugh at Jordan Love when he has already accomplished some things Tua hasn't done yet in his first year as a starter doesn't deserve to be scoffed at.

Tua Tagovailoa
Austin Jackson
Jaylen Waddle
Jaelan Phillips

couldn't disagree more with anybody making that "reasonable argument."

Could it have been better? Always.

Is there any way I could look at who we have added to the team in the first round in 20 and 21 and say "didn't draft well" in those years? Not a chance.

In 2022 and 2023 we traded extremely late first round picks for Tyreek Hill and Bradley Chubber, and I am not even factoring that into the talent influx.
You forget everything we gave up to trade from 12 to 6 to pick Waddle. Beyond that, we had to give massive contracts to Hill and Chubb. We lost three 1st round picks and a ton of other picks in those 3 trades. Any one of those picks could have been a starting OL or TE or whatever.

My point was not that we did “bad” drafting. It was that we really didn’t do “good” drafting in 2020, particularly in the 1st round and 2nd round, and that forced us into trades and large contracts. We added next to zero talent the past 2 drafts and that is part of the reason we are so far over the salary cap.

It is what it is at this point. But I feel like we as fans can be disappointed we had so many first round picks and only drafted 4 guys over the past 4 years that are starters. I’m not even mad about the Hill trade, he is a phenomenal player. But we sold out to win now and are paying the price tag.

A failure it’s not but waddle is not a player you give up 2 firsts for and draft 6 overall
We didn't give up 2 firsts for Waddle. We wanted a WR and were either going to take Chase at #3 or make a series of trades that dropped us to #6 but with the gain of a future 1st and 3rd round pick. The FO was not interested in trading down any further than the 6th pick, they just did that in two trades that netted two future premium picks.

So it was Chase and no future draft capital or Waddle plus two premium future picks. The MD were not interested in a linebacker at the time. If you want to say your preference would have been Chase and no additional picks that's an argument to be made. If you want to say we should have traded down to 12 and kept all that capital but forfeited any chance at Chase or Waddle that's an argument to be made. But we didn't give up 2 firsts for Waddle, we gave up Chase for Waddle but picked up a future 1st and 3rd rounder for that exchange.

you realize that in Jordan Love's first year starting, he threw for more TD's in a single season than Tua ever has in a single season AND he won a playoff game with far less talent at WR and RB. I'm not saying that Jordan Love is already better than Tua but to laugh at Jordan Love when he has already accomplished some things Tua hasn't done yet in his first year as a starter doesn't deserve to be scoffed at.
Of course not, that was kind of a weird dis. In any event we'll get to meet Mr. Love up close and in person this season at GB. I'm sure if Love leads the pack over the MD that day it will because of the refs, or injuries, or injuries and refs.

We didn't give up 2 firsts for Waddle. We wanted a WR and were either going to take Chase at #3 or make a series of trades that dropped us to #6 but with the gain of a future 1st and 3rd round pick. The FO was not interested in trading down any further than the 6th pick, they just did that in two trades that netted two future premium picks.

So it was Chase and no future draft capital or Waddle plus two premium future picks. The MD were not interested in a linebacker at the time. If you want to say your preference would have been Chase and no additional picks that's an argument to be made. If you want to say we should have traded down to 12 and kept all that capital but forfeited any chance at Chase or Waddle that's an argument to be made. But we didn't give up 2 firsts for Waddle, we gave up Chase for Waddle but picked up a future 1st and 3rd rounder for that exchange.

This is just averaging a "great" trade down with an "average" trade up and saying the overall result is "good". It's certainly a valid way of looking at the exchange in 2021, but I am not crazy with the value on the trade up. The 2 trades can also be individually evaluated. Would have worked out better if Ross hadn't cost us a 1st/3rd.

This is just averaging a "great" trade down with an "average" trade up and saying the overall result is "good". It's certainly a valid way of looking at the exchange in 2021, but I am not crazy with the value on the trade up. The 2 trades can also be individually evaluated. Would have worked out better if Ross hadn't cost us a 1st/3rd.
That's fine, we can argue that trading down to 12 or even lower for even more draft capital was the way to go but the FO at the time said they were not going lower than 6. There was no trade down to 12 if not for the 2nd deal that got them back in the top 6. The net exchange gained us two picks so I just get tired of hearing how Waddle cost us two 1st's, just not really accurate.

That's fine, we can argue that trading down to 12 or even lower for even more draft capital was the way to go but the FO at the time said they were not going lower than 6. There was no trade down to 12 if not for the 2nd deal that got them back in the top 6. The net exchange gained us two picks so I just get tired of hearing how Waddle cost us two 1st's, just not really accurate.
Understood... but my point was simply Grier could have always balked at the trade-up if he didn't like the value he got. Cheers!

I know what you’re saying and that was always the discussion at the time. My argument is that we should’ve stayed at 12 and not moved up. Waddle is not a generational player like ceedee or Jefferson who were both taken in the middle of the first. That draft was loaded with talent. We could’ve probably taken waddle at 12 if not smith would’ve been just fine. Also why do we keep drafting for need? Parsons would’ve been great and we drafted philips that yr so it’s not as if we weren’t looking for a pass rusher. The previous yr we reached for AJ when there was much better talent around that pick like the 2 wrs that I mentioned above

If only I could put a moderator on ignore. 95% 😂😂😂😂
So, how many fans do you think were hoping that we didnt draft Herbert, or Tua, or any qb ?

Probably should rethink your emoji choice. It was the VAST majority. Im sure there was a poll on it we could go back and find. I'd be shocked to be wrong about this one

Back
Top Bottom