2020 Draft we could have had | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Draft we could have had

If we could just get j-off into the front office we’d be golden
We've already got a lot of j-offs in the front office.

Goddam, had to do it.

Youre Out Female Athlete GIF by University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Actually, if I was doing it, I would have lost out properly to get the #1 pick and taken Burrow, but we couldn't even get that right.

DNA test...PRONTO🤣

None needed, at least not for me as both my boys look like me, especially Eli with my familial trait of short and stocky. If my wife didn't see them both come out of her she'd question if they were hers though. My older son Niko somehow got a swimmers body. He'll be the first in my lineage to have Abs but somehow still has my face. He's also incredibly gifted in the ladies department. We flew into Tampa two weeks ago for a vacation and he spent 2 straight hours talking to a 23 year old blonde and at one point asked her if she thought he was cute.

Two summers ago we went to Greece and when he was 5, he kissed an 8 year old right on the lips.

I am happy for him but VERY jealous I didn't get the suave gene.

Actually, if I was doing it, I would have lost out properly to get the #1 pick and taken Burrow, but we couldn't even get that right.

I felt that way at the time but Burrow has got to stay on the field. I figured he’d bulk up like his brothers and his dad but to me it looks like he’s actually lost weight.

It is very easy to write off poor drafting. As many people have stated “hindsight is 20/20”. I totally agree when you look at a player like Hill who was drafted in the 5th round or Brady who was drafted in the 6th round.

That being said, we did not draft well in 2020 or 2021 and that is why our team is in the financial position they are today. There is a difference between every team passing on a player and us panic drafting a position of need when a guy who went on to be elite was available. Beyond that, said elite player was picked by another team within a few selections of our pick.

Allow me to elaborate. The 5th pick was always going to be Tua or Herbert. Period. The 18th pick could have been Justin Jefferson as we needed a WR. We panic picked Jackson because the top OTs were gone. Odds are we could have taken Jackson with the 26th pick. Even if we took Jackson at 18, we could have had Taylor or Higgins at 26.

It might not seem like a big deal, but passing over two #1 WR in 2020 put us into a position to have to draft a #1 WR in 2021. On that note, we could have stayed at 12 in 2021 and drafted Parsons while keeping all the picks we gave Philly to move up to 6. This is not some far fetched idea; Parsons was drafted 12th by the Cowboys in a trade.

Imagine we leave the 2020 and 2021 drafts with Tua, Jefferson, Jackson, Parsons and Phillips (plus the extra draft picks). In that scenario we might not trade for Hill or Chubb and we have more picks for 2022 and 2023. I won’t even get into trading up for Eichenberg with Humphrey on the board.

I understand that you cannot judge past drafts on current knowledge. However, you can make a very reasonable argument that we have not drafted well in the 1st round the past 4 years. You can also make an argument that the failures of the 2020 and 2021 drafts are what put the team against the wall financially this season.

My skeptical nature when the “rebuild” was announced and the Tunsil trade was consummated was, “Well, if any team can screw up this embarrassment of riches, it would be the Dolphins.” My thoroughly punished sense of hope came to life briefly and said, “It could be the path to glory like the Herschel Walker trade!,” but the whole Grier retention right off the bat made me queasy.

Sitting on my couch I can see what 1st round players are legit. A RB from Wisconsin who broke all kind of records is a no brainer. Grier goes and pisses that away with Iggy and tries to spin it he's a minus one any way you cut it this franchise is going nowhere with that idiot. Watch what Harbaugh does in his first draft, look what Lynch has done in SF and look at the crap on this roster *and* as a bonus we're in cap hell.

Correction, the fanboys would have revolted if we didn’t take a QB at 5. I know of lots of fans that didn’t like Tua or Herbert.

The overwhelming majority of fans especially on here wanted Tua. I honestly believe that was one reason why Ross really liked Tua as well....give the fans what they want.

It is very easy to write off poor drafting. As many people have stated “hindsight is 20/20”. I totally agree when you look at a player like Hill who was drafted in the 5th round or Brady who was drafted in the 6th round.

That being said, we did not draft well in 2020 or 2021 and that is why our team is in the financial position they are today. There is a difference between every team passing on a player and us panic drafting a position of need when a guy who went on to be elite was available. Beyond that, said elite player was picked by another team within a few selections of our pick.

Allow me to elaborate. The 5th pick was always going to be Tua or Herbert. Period. The 18th pick could have been Justin Jefferson as we needed a WR. We panic picked Jackson because the top OTs were gone. Odds are we could have taken Jackson with the 26th pick. Even if we took Jackson at 18, we could have had Taylor or Higgins at 26.

It might not seem like a big deal, but passing over two #1 WR in 2020 put us into a position to have to draft a #1 WR in 2021. On that note, we could have stayed at 12 in 2021 and drafted Parsons while keeping all the picks we gave Philly to move up to 6. This is not some far fetched idea; Parsons was drafted 12th by the Cowboys in a trade.

Imagine we leave the 2020 and 2021 drafts with Tua, Jefferson, Jackson, Parsons and Phillips (plus the extra draft picks). In that scenario we might not trade for Hill or Chubb and we have more picks for 2022 and 2023. I won’t even get into trading up for Eichenberg with Humphrey on the board.

I understand that you cannot judge past drafts on current knowledge. However, you can make a very reasonable argument that we have not drafted well in the 1st round the past 4 years. You can also make an argument that the failures of the 2020 and 2021 drafts are what put the team against the wall financially this season.
That’s actually a well thought out post and hard to argue. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom