2020 NFL Draft: Here's how the Dolphins can ace the first round | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 NFL Draft: Here's how the Dolphins can ace the first round

While I love the idea of Simmons at #5, feels like a luxury pick after our FA haul.

If we don’t take a QB at #5, we should pivot to LT, I like Wirfs. I really like McKinney from Bama, I would take him at #18 (bit of a reach, but a PERFECT fit for our current secondary). With #26 I go back to tackle and take best available between the kids from HOU or USC or TCU

Then top RB available with our first 2nd round pick, I like the kid from Wisconsin

Personally I don't think Simmons would be a luxury pick. We had one of, if not the, worst defenses in the league. I like what we did in FA but I don't think the defense is suddenly in the top 10 now.

Who cares. I could have told ya he’d do that on tape. Herberts eval is all about what he has between the ears. Everything else is gravy.

The point was the Dolphins clearly spent a lot of time evaluating the QB.

The point was also that teams often don’t talk about players they are interested in... for obvious reasons.

I also find it interesting that many evaluate QB’s with little thought concerning the coaching or surrounding cast...or what the QB was asked to do in the scheme.

Personally I don't think Simmons would be a luxury pick. We had one of, if not the, worst defenses in the league. I like what we did in FA but I don't think the defense is suddenly in the top 10 now.
It’s a luxury pick because we don’t have our QB of the future.

You can get a good C in the late 2nd or 3rd round.
When is the last time the Dolphins have drafted any offensive lineman past the first round that has been even decent? The only offensive linemen they have drafted that have actually been effective in the last two decades have been those drafted in the first round.
So stating that you can find a good center in the 2nd or 3rd round might be the case for most NFL teams. It doesn’t seem to work for the Dolphins. I would love to see them stay at 5 and draft a QB and use their other 1st round picks on offensive linemen.

When is the last time the Dolphins have drafted any offensive lineman past the first round that has been even decent? The only offensive linemen they have drafted that have actually been effective in the last two decades have been those drafted in the first round.
So stating that you can find a good center in the 2nd or 3rd round might be the case for most NFL teams. It doesn’t seem to work for the Dolphins. I would love to see them stay at 5 and draft a QB and use their other 1st round picks on offensive linemen.
Unless you believe in some sort of curse, I don't really see how the past is particularly relevant.

We have a different front office, with different (and proven) top evaluation personnel.

If you have no faith in our coach, and evaluation ppl, then it really doesn't matter what picks we make.

At this point the question should be Who do you think the Dolphins will draft? not Who would you draft? I have been thinking for a few weeks that they may draft Herbert 1A, best OT 2A and best OL 3C.

At this point the question should be Who do you think the Dolphins will draft? not Who would you draft? I have been thinking for a few weeks that they may draft Herbert 1A, best OT 2A and best OL 3C.
1A, 2A, 3C??????

Is this some kind of "new math" enumeration system?

Unless you believe in some sort of curse, I don't really see how the past is particularly relevant.

We have a different front office, with different (and proven) top evaluation personnel.

If you have no faith in our coach, and evaluation ppl, then it really doesn't matter what picks we make.
The reality is over 50% of drafted players don’t last 3 years in the NFL. So since our biggest need other than a future QB is on the offensive line. I would rather they use two picks in the first round on the offensive line.
As far as having faith in those selecting the talent is concerned, I have a wait and see attitude. Grier has been the GM for the last 5 years and those drafts have led to the Dolphins being one of the worst teams in the NFL. I do hope that he has finally learned from all his past mistakes in the previous drafts.

The reality is over 50% of drafted players don’t last 3 years in the NFL. So since our biggest need other than a future QB is on the offensive line. I would rather they use two picks in the first round on the offensive line.
As far as having faith in those selecting the talent is concerned, I have a wait and see attitude. Grier has been the GM for the last 5 years and those drafts have led to the Dolphins being one of the worst teams in the NFL. I do hope that he has finally learned from all his past mistakes in the previous drafts.
Oh, I completely agree about addressing the O-line rd1, especially tackle.

I'd rather not use a #1 for a center, though. At least not this year.

Who cares. I could have told ya he’d do that on tape. Herberts eval is all about what he has between the ears. Everything else is gravy.

I am pretty sure many of the people on this board don’t kno what you mean by between the ears - they don’t realize that every NFL D Coordinator will try to take away all the QBs comfort routes and passes - exposing what that qb is made up of

After one season the book will be out on every QB - and QBs who are one read take off with the ball get lit up like Cam Newton
And then the footwork becomes a mess in delivery

Prior to the draft People don’t Watch games they look some at the heaps of video out there the highlight reels and make their judgments based on that - they can’t picture What will happen to a prospect who is going to be rushed at the pro level

50 yard under-thrown completions where the WR never Should have intended to have to come back to the ball but did make the QB look fantastic

Oh, I completely agree about addressing the O-line rd1, especially tackle.

I'd rather not use a #1 for a center, though. At least not this year.

Mostly agree... this is a good year for Centers. There are at least 4 that look good to me. I'm willing to see if they slide.

Apart from finding our QB for the future (be it Tua, Herbert or Love), by far our biggest need is to draft a good offensive tackle. Yes, we need a good safety, but trying to fix our O-line comes first. Pick 18 needs to be OT and we should strongly consider trading up to try to get one of the better ones because they could go fast. We have the Draft capital and this is our big need.

Back
Top Bottom