2020 NFL Draft: Here's how the Dolphins can ace the first round | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 NFL Draft: Here's how the Dolphins can ace the first round

What’s interesting is Herbert is all the sudden not being talked about...which could indicate he is the target.

We all know the Dolphins spent a lot of time with Herbert... including extra time at his pro day!
Yet Tua is the one who felt jaded during his interview With the Phins brass and Herbert got to spend extra time With Mia throwing 65 yards from the goal line during his pro day???

Who is getting choked with smoke here???

It’s a luxury pick because we don’t have our QB of the future.

We may be getting into semantics here . Obviously if there is a QB available and worthy of a top pick, you take him over any other position. That may not be the case though, we'll see.

At this point the question should be Who do you think the Dolphins will draft? not Who would you draft? I have been thinking for a few weeks that they may draft Herbert 1A, best OT 2A and best OL 3C.

DING, DING!!!! I get people have opinions, but the more important issue is what Grier/Flo will do. Some draft predictions appear to be nothing more than opinions in costume. I don't thin there are reasonable predictions of individual players, but I suspect a QB, a couple of OLmen, and one D in the 1st 2 rounds

Oh, I completely agree about addressing the O-line rd1, especially tackle.

I'd rather not use a #1 for a center, though. At least not this year.
I like Karras and therefore I don’t think they need to draft a center in the first round but drafting two tackles or a tackle and a guard in the first round would be great, imo.

Last edited:
I don't like the one where we waste a 1st round pick on a running back.

Option 1 is one I have done in one of my many mock draft simulations. Sometimes it is Delpit or a different OT but I like the combo of QB/OT/S seems to line up with the board and the Fin's needs.

Option 3 I think I take Derek Brown at 5 instead of Simmons, or one of the top OT's. I love Ruiz and if the Fins felt strongly about Love then I would be good with that one too.

I want to come out of this Draft with the QB of the future and several OL pieces to protect him.

Any offensive weapons(I would like to add an explosive WR and a good RB) or defensive players(safety and a pass rusher) would be great but they need to find a QB and then set him up to succeed.

Now IF QB just does not work out then I still want the OL built, but then go BPA while addressing needs, they have enough of them that they should be able to do that without reaching.
I don't know that I would say getting Swift or Dobbins or Thomas in Round One would be a waste. Howard has been declining since his rookie year and Ballage who seemed a bright spot in his rookie year looked mediocre last year. Maybe that can be blamed on the O Line but we are lacking talent at the RB position. Sure, I know there are only so many players we can draft but, we also need to score points and not be one dimensional. To me, Tua, OT and one of the RBS and then another OT in round two and aa safety would be a pretty strong first two rounds.

I think the resistance to selecting a RB in the first round is due more to the depth at the position in this year's draft than anything else. Most analysts have 5 or 6 backs with roughly the same grade.

Now, if you fall in love with one guy, and think he is THE perfect guy for your offense, then maybe... but otherwise, poker players will bluff a bit and see what slides.

While I love the idea of Simmons at #5, feels like a luxury pick after our FA haul.

If we don’t take a QB at #5, we should pivot to LT, I like Wirfs. I really like McKinney from Bama, I would take him at #18 (bit of a reach, but a PERFECT fit for our current secondary). With #26 I go back to tackle and take best available between the kids from HOU or USC or TCU

Then top RB available with our first 2nd round pick, I like the kid from Wisconsin

Flores' defense places a high value on the safety. Simmons is the type of player he would value. I wouldn't mind at all if they drafted him and trade back into the top 10 for a QB if Tua is gone.

I don’t want to be chasing the scoreboard with Andrew Thomas and Jesse Davis at tackle.

That’s where I think you might get yourself in trouble with Thomas the athlete and Davis lack of foot speed vs speed off the edge.

If becton gets to 18 I think you have to turn in that card too. He’s raw in some regards with pass sets but I think he’s a left tackle. I might even consider trading up for him in the teens. He’s just too talented to let out of the top 20

It’s a luxury pick because we don’t have our QB of the future.

What has happened with former FO's has no meaning at this point in time.

Grier has shown us he is his own man, based on the cuts he made last year to get us out of cap hell and the preloading he made via trades that have established huge numbers of selections in this years draft and next years draft. Any selections made should be evaluated on their own merits without reference to the past.

I've seen enough Lemming juice sprayed on this team for past mistakes made by other people in leadership roles.

This is the second season under a new coaching staff and a new FO. It's time to quit the whining and start using fresh evaluations based solely on the performance of the Dolphins entire organization starting with making Grier the General Manager and Flores the new Head Coach from the beginning of the 2019 season thru today.

If you want to live in the past, go follow the Patriots!

I think their feigning interest in others but want Tua... where there’s smoke there’s mirrors

If I am the Fins I am drafting 2 OT's in the first 4 rounds.

Biggest non QB need on the team followed by RB which i would not look at until Round 3 at the earliest.

Find the QB, fix the OL and then worry about who is carrying the ball.

The reality is over 50% of drafted players don’t last 3 years in the NFL. So since our biggest need other than a future QB is on the offensive line. I would rather they use two picks in the first round on the offensive line.
As far as having faith in those selecting the talent is concerned, I have a wait and see attitude. Grier has been the GM for the last 5 years and those drafts have led to the Dolphins being one of the worst teams in the NFL. I do hope that he has finally learned from all his past mistakes in the previous drafts.
Really?

Back
Top Bottom