2021 Composite Rankings (Offense) | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 Composite Rankings (Offense)

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
It does not just help them stay healthy, it makes the position easier to play.

Coupled with how much less physical you can be with WR's and the job of QB is not nearly as hard as it used to be.

This is why we see so many average guys putting up numbers Marino would have been proud of.

djphinfan

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
The thing that has saved quarterbacks over every other position is the amount of rules preventing them from getting hit like everyone else. You look at some of those 90s games and guy like Marino and Kelly were fair game on the field.

Some of the rules are good such as protecting that plant leg on the throw. But you can't even push or graze the guys head after he throws. Meanwhile a reciever downfield can get thrown down for the he'll of it.

Besides brady has always been a master of protecting himself which has saved him more than his peers. You see Fitzpatrick and how much his skills are declining or big Ben and they have been known to take a beating.

Football is a very strange sport in that regard.
I guess I have a different perspective on protecting the qbs, I feel when they start their throwing motion they are completely vulnerable and defenseless, allowing a defender a head of steam to take any shot to me is a penalty jmo

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
I guess I have a different perspective on protecting the qbs, I feel when they start their throwing motion they are completely vulnerable and defenseless, allowing a defender a head of steam to take any shot to me is a penalty jmo

Problem with officiating penalties like that for 'vulnerable' and 'defenseless' players is that they'll spend 10 minutes looking for a penalty and reviewing a play where a guy's fingertip barely touched the QB's helmet, but won't spend any time reviewing plays where the ball carrier is already in the endzone and the linebacker laying on the ground wrapped around his legs is trying to twist the ball carrier's ankle to the point where his foot is pointing in the wrong direction.

I see it all the time. You saw it with Najee Harris on one of his rushing TD's against Ohio St. when Tuf Borland did it to the point that Harris was standing there in the endzone complaining to the officials about it while Borland was literally still twisting his ankle. The rules that are in place to protect players aren't being enforced fairly.

It doesn't make any sense to be able to try and unscrew a guy's foot from his leg with not even so much as a review - but call penalties for a guy's fingernail touching the QB's helmet. It's what happens when politics begin to seep into the bottom line. They've taken the head protection to extremes that don't even make sense and to hell with that kid's ankle and knee.

djphinfan

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
Problem with officiating penalties like that for 'vulnerable' and 'defenseless' players is that they'll spend 10 minutes looking for a penalty and reviewing a play where a guy's fingertip barely touched the QB's helmet, but won't spend any time reviewing plays where the ball carrier is already in the endzone and the linebacker laying on the ground wrapped around his legs is trying to twist the ball carrier's ankle to the point where his foot is pointing in the wrong direction.

I see it all the time. You saw it with Najee Harris on one of his rushing TD's against Ohio St. when Tuf Borland did it to the point that Harris was standing there in the endzone complaining to the officials about it while Borland was literally still twisting his ankle. The rules that are in place to protect players aren't being enforced fairly.

It doesn't make any sense to be able to try and unscrew a guy's foot from his leg with not even so much as a review - but call penalties for a guy's fingernail touching the QB's helmet. It's what happens when politics begin to seep into the bottom line. They've taken the head protection to extremes that don't even make sense and to hell with that kid's ankle and knee.
Yes I agree With all that, I was mainly comparing the defenseless receiver rule and applying it to the qb.

Top Bottom