Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Carson Strong / Nevada / 6'4", 226

2. Sam Howell / N. Carolina / 6'0”, 221

3. Matt Corral / Ole Miss / 6'2", 212

4. Kaleb Eleby / W. Michigan / 6'1", 210

Last edited:
Matt Corral might be the only quarterback I've ever seen that can throw an interception every 5 pass attempts and still have his team in the game with a chance to win. I've seen him do it. Twice.

Lane Kiffin don't care. He's going to keep throwing it because Corral has the arm talent and mobility to make you pay every other play. He can throw half a dozen interceptions in a single game and still hang nearly 50 points on you.

Was coming to mention Corral. Him and penix are a couple guys that are rough around the edges when it comes to grading them as prospects, but both are competitive as **** and have a mix of arm talent and swagger that impresses me.

I know DJ Uiagalelei is only a sophomore but what do you think about him? Kids big and has a strong arm, he’s also very mobile.

I love Michael Penix game , the injuries are a huge concern for me.

As a Hoosier fan I'll be rooting hard for this kid but am curious on how you view him compared to other QBs in the big10.

Thanks for the lists and incite.

I know DJ Uiagalelei is only a sophomore but what do you think about him? Kids big and has a strong arm, he’s also very mobile.
I’m as big a Clemson fan as you’ll meet and hang around the program daily. DJ is a great kid first and foremost. Very religious kid and takes part in leading the team with daily prayer. His dad Big Dave is also a great guy and has done a great job raising DJ and his younger brother Matayo. Matayo is a top 20 overall recruit for the class of 2022 but he’s a DE.

DJ probably has the strongest arm in the country. I’ve seen him throw the ball 80 yards in the air on multiple occasions. He has a rocket and would be a starting pitcher at Clemson if he wanted to. That’s his elite trait is his arm strength. Like with most strong armed passers it gets them into trouble from time to time because they think they can fit the ball into any window and this applies to DJ. He’s going through that maturation process as we speak. Smart kid and picked up the offense very quickly just like past Tiger QBs DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. He’s cut from the same mold as those 2.

He’s not as athletic as Watson and doesn’t have Watson or Lawrence long speed but he’s so much bigger than either of them that he just falls forward and picks up that extra couple yards. DJ is definitely a pass first QB. I can also tell you DJ won’t be as involved in the QB run game at Clemson as Watson and Lawrence were. It’ll be more short yardage situations when we really need it rather than them straight out calling designed QB run plays.

During spring ball DJ measured in at 6’4 1/4 and 248 lbs. He’s a huge kid that’s even bigger than he looks once you get right up to him in person. The kid also loves football. He loves the game more than Lawrence. I’m definitely not taking anything away from TLaw but he never lived breathed ate and slept football the way DJ does. TLaw was just so good and his natural talent allows him to be what he is. This will be his biggest obstacle early.

I expect DJ to be a top 5 pick when he comes out in 2 years. His arm strength alone will wow scouts because we all know how much they love those rocket arms. Justin Herbert is a fair comparison for DJ as far as player comps but DJ is more naturally talented at the same age than Herbert was. DJ has to work on his short and intermediate accuracy. That’s a glaring area for him right now. Not that he can’t do it he just hasn’t done it in spring as consistently as Dabo and the staff would like. He’s got to learn that every throw can’t be a fast ball. During the 7th or 8th spring practice he threw a slant to 1 of our WRs Frank Ladson and it actually broke 2 of Ladsons fingers. So that’s definitely an area that I know they’ve been working with him on but DJ will improve and he’ll get it right. He’ll be the next in a line of 1st round Clemson QBs.

For the record even though this has nothing to do with the topic... Arch Manning will be visiting Clemson Alabama Texas and SMU in June camps. Clemson is targeting Manning as our class of 23’ QB. Just in case anybody doesn’t know he is the son of Cooper Manning and nephew of HOF QBs Peyton and Eli Manning.

Uiagalelei is a power thrower. It takes him time and a certain setup to really deliver. It's not the most versatile arm strength. You can compare/contrast it with Malik Willis or Spencer Rattler, and both of them have live, loose arms, while also throwing a very hot ball. That's what I will tend to take in today's NFL over the nuclear powered railgun. I'm not saying he won't succeed. I'm saying his arm accolade isn't going to play with me as much as it will with some, and it's not because I don't think arm strength matters. He's going to have to show talent on the field. I'm not going to moon over the arm because it's not as live and loose as I'd like.

Spencer Rattler and Kedon Slovis as 4 and 5 is definitely a call some will take issue with.

You know my feelings on Carson Strong. I'm with you.

As for Grant Wells, I've never seen a guy turn from a good quarterback into not being able to throw the ball without three defenders making a play on it every single down for a stretch of games It was disturbing and I'm still not sure how to take it. The man can throw and he's got great athleticism.

Uiagalelei is a power thrower. It takes him time and a certain setup to really deliver. It's not the most versatile arm strength. You can compare/contrast it with Malik Willis or Spencer Rattler, and both of them have live, loose arms, while also throwing a very hot ball. That's what I will tend to take in today's NFL over the nuclear powered railgun. I'm not saying he won't succeed. I'm saying his arm accolade isn't going to play with me as much as it will with some, and it's not because I don't think arm strength matters. He's going to have to show talent on the field. I'm not going to moon over the arm because it's not as live and loose as I'd like.
Respectfully... Extreme agree to disagree with you on this. This is not an accurate take at all but each of us have our opinions. The dude only played 2 games that the world got to see. So unless you’re also hanging out at Clemsons practices daily then I don’t see how you can possibly make these determinations off of 2 games. Especially when his throwing shoulder was banged up and he played through it because we would have been down to our 3rd stringer if he hadn’t. That’s also why the QB run game wasn’t really a part of either the ND or BC game plans. His shoulder got hurt against Miami and winning at ND was going to be tough enough with DJ in there much less our 3rd stringer. However DJ did more than enough to win that game. It wasn’t on him but that’s beside the point.

I fully respect you’re opinion and you’re obviously entitled to it. I just don’t see how you could make these determinations off of 2 games. If you were seeing him practice daily I’d say ok fair enough but unless you’re also watching practices I just don’t see how you can make that diagnosis. But again like I said I fully respect your opinion which you’re entitled to. Well just have to agree to disagree on this.

Obviously you're a Clemson fan and seem a bit offended I made an observation about Uiagelelei's throwing style that isn't the absolute most ideal possible. I don't see why you should be so offended. As I said, he's got a nuclear powered railgun on his shoulders. But it's not a loose arm, not a snappy throwing style.

I am 90% certain that when the time comes and he's in the draft and someone like Greg Cosell starts looking at the film, he will literally use the phrase "power thrower" to describe him. And he'll mean it exactly as I meant it.

Respectfully, your take speaks of inexperience. It doesn't even take two games to make observations about what kind of thrower a quarterback is. Even so, I've been watching D.J. Uiagalelei since high school.

I'm a Rattler QB1 guy, but I understand preferring Howell.

Rattler and Willis to me have the two skillsets that really stand out to me, but I think it's a really fun QB class at/toward the top. None of the top guys are similar, so I think personal preference will play a bigger role, and we'll see more variation in rankings.

Reactions: A1.
Obviously you're a Clemson fan and seem a bit offended I made an observation about Uiagelelei's throwing style that isn't the absolute most ideal possible. I don't see why you should be so offended. As I said, he's got a nuclear powered railgun on his shoulders. But it's not a loose arm, not a snappy throwing style.

I am 90% certain that when the time comes and he's in the draft and someone like Greg Cosell starts looking at the film, he will literally use the phrase "power thrower" to describe him. And he'll mean it exactly as I meant it.

Respectfully, your take speaks of inexperience. It doesn't even take two games to make observations about what kind of thrower a quarterback is. Even so, I've been watching D.J. Uiagalelei since high school.
No not offended whatsoever. I even said I respect your opinion which you’re entitled to. I apologize if I came off defensive. That was not my intent. Just surprised at the diagnosis is all. Believe me I’ve got more than enough experience. That’s why I said unless you’ve watched him somewhere else which you just Informed me you had so that’s fair enough.

I totally disagree however that it only takes 2 games to diagnosis any player much less a QB but again to each their own. DJ is now 2 years removed from high school. That’s 2 years of development which makes him a totally different player or at the very least a more advanced player. A lot can change over 2 years time. But again if you’ve been watching him since high school then to me that gives your opinion much more validity. So fair enough on your take.

Back
Top Bottom