2022 Running Backs (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Running Backs (Underclassman)

Spiller and Hall are my top two right now that I will love watching.
Verdell sticks out in my mind too. I have him as my DH right now.
Does anyone else get a little bit of an Eric Dickerson vibe watching Spiller?

I don't really see anything special with regards to Isaiah Spiller. He's a decent player, but i don't think he will be anything of note at the next level.

Jimbo's offense is RB production friendly, when he gets a special player you get Dalvin Cook type production.

I don't really see anything special with regards to Isaiah Spiller. He's a decent player, but i don't think he will be anything of note at the next level.

Jimbo's offense is RB production friendly, when he gets a special player you get Dalvin Cook type production.

I probably can't see as well as I used to but I certainly don't see Eric Dickerson or Adrian Peterson.

Maybe Matt Forte.

Every once in a while, a RB makes me tilt my head and wonder why he’s not utilized more. Bam Knight is that guy for me this year.

Pach -- if Breece Hall were to put up a 4.39 40 at the combine, would that move him up to #1 on your list -- or on scout's lists?

I ask this because:

1. a lot of scouts are projecting him to run in the high 4.4's because of what they've seen in film but

2. he was clocked at a 4.43 40 when he was in high school, so it is quite possible that he is one of those guys whose track speed doesn't necessarily translate to the football field.

I know he's a really good back, but is he 3rd round good or is he a 1st round good? Would a 4.39 be fool's gold or a sign that he has room to grow?

Pach -- if Breece Hall were to put up a 4.39 40 at the combine, would that move him up to #1 on your list -- or on scout's lists?

I ask this because:

1. a lot of scouts are projecting him to run in the high 4.4's because of what they've seen in film but

2. he was clocked at a 4.43 40 when he was in high school, so it is quite possible that he is one of those guys whose track speed doesn't necessarily translate to the football field.

I know he's a really good back, but is he 3rd round good or is he a 1st round good? Would a 4.39 be fool's gold or a sign that he has room to grow?
If he runs better than 4.5 then he is late first, early second.

Jashaun Corbin from FSU declared yesterday, he was asked to do a lot at FSU and will probably be available in the mid to late rounds.

He can pass protect and break tackles but might have availability issues at the next level.

I ask this because:

There may be some scouts that might move him drastically up their board based on the 40 time, but I doubt that would be the reason why I'd move him to #1. I already know he's fast and a time in the low 4.4 range wouldn't surprise me. A time in the high 4.3's might surprise me a little just because it's a great time. He looks about 4.40-4.45 on film to me. He has some runs where he appears to be a little faster than that.

I don't question his speed at all, so that's not really what I'm looking at with Breece Hall. My questions with Hall revolve more around pad level and power. Hall has what you call momentum power - as any 215+ pound person would when they get moving. However, I'm talking about real power. Torque. Power at the LOS when you need it.

One of the first things a RB coach will try to fix with Hall is his pad level and get him to lower his pads when he's taking contact or when getting into traffic. He runs upright like a lot of taller backs do and hasn't really learned how to reduce his surface area yet so defenders don't have a lot to hit - other than shoulders, elbows and knees. He doesn't have a natural low center of gravity that a kid like Kenneth Walker has, therefore pad level is critical.

I think he has 2nd round ability if you fix his pad level. But that is extremely important. Again, I don't question his speed.

There's one area where Hall, Spiller and Walker all separate themselves a little bit in this class, and that's consistently making the first guy miss. They're all excellent at making the first guy miss, which is one of the more important traits you want to see in a high quality back.

Ultimately, backs similar to Hall have typically gone in the 2nd/3rd round in the past, but usually because of something outside of football. Whether you're talking about DeMarco Murray, Bernard Pierce, Joe Mixon, Latavius Murray, etc.

If you manage to get a back like Breece Hall in the 3rd round you're getting a steal. He very well could be the best back in this class. He certainly has one of the best resumes and still has a little upside once you fix a few flaws.

There may be some scouts that might move him drastically up their board based on the 40 time, but I doubt that would be the reason why I'd move him to #1. I already know he's fast and a time in the low 4.4 range wouldn't surprise me. A time in the high 4.3's might surprise me a little just because it's a great time. He looks about 4.40-4.45 on film to me. He has some runs where he appears to be a little faster than that.

I don't question his speed at all, so that's not really what I'm looking at with Breece Hall. My questions with Hall revolve more around pad level and power. Hall has what you call momentum power - as any 215+ pound person would when they get moving. However, I'm talking about real power. Torque. Power at the LOS when you need it.

One of the first things a RB coach will try to fix with Hall is his pad level and get him to lower his pads when he's taking contact or when getting into traffic. He runs upright like a lot of taller backs do and hasn't really learned how to reduce his surface area yet so defenders don't have a lot to hit - other than shoulders, elbows and knees. He doesn't have a natural low center of gravity that a kid like Kenneth Walker has, therefore pad level is critical.

I think he has 2nd round ability if you fix his pad level. But that is extremely important. Again, I don't question his speed.

There's one area where Hall, Spiller and Walker all separate themselves a little bit in this class, and that's consistently making the first guy miss. They're all excellent at making the first guy miss, which is one of the more important traits you want to see in a high quality back.

Ultimately, backs similar to Hall have typically gone in the 2nd/3rd round in the past, but usually because of something outside of football. Whether you're talking about DeMarco Murray, Bernard Pierce, Joe Mixon, Latavius Murray, etc.

If you manage to get a back like Breece Hall in the 3rd round you're getting a steal. He very well could be the best back in this class. He certainly has one of the best resumes and still has a little upside once you fix a few flaws.
DeMarco Murray coming out of college a fair comp to Breece Hall?

edit: LOL.....typed before reading the last part of post.

Slimm, I had the exact same issue with Hall coming into 2021 and wasn't as high on him as most, but to my eyes, he ran noticeably lower in 2021. Did you see any improvement in this area? I could be imagining stuff.

Slimm, I had the exact same issue with Hall coming into 2021 and wasn't as high on him as most, but to my eyes, he ran noticeably lower in 2021. Did you see any improvement in this area? I could be imagining stuff.

Not enough. Not consistently. He still gets blown up at the end of runs because he's too upright. It's happened in several games this year (Texas, etc.)

He still doesn't run with the pad level of Isaiah Spiller, for example.

Not enough. Not consistently. He still gets blown up at the end of runs because he's too upright. It's happened in several games this year (Texas, etc.)

He still doesn't run with the pad level of Isaiah Spiller, for example.
Went and watched film on him after your assessment. Seems to want more to run by people that ran through. Can do that some at the college level with grade speed but unless you're elite, won't happen in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom