2023 Quarterback (Underclassman) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2023 Quarterback (Underclassman)

You cover a number of points that essentially "redefine" the QB position as long time NFL fans have known it to be. To me, the reality of the NFL QB market is akin (associativly speaking) to the "weak anthropic" principle -- specifically the market (viability) for this kid is entirely related to the conditions (aka opportunities) for his existence in todays NFL.

Put another way, historically (dare I say "classically") speaking he's a poor prospect and probably would have never played QB at the big-time college level. But the core criteria for the position has radically changed. It's far more raw measurable athletically based than (dare I say) "nuanced" and refined as a "classic pocket passing QB."

In addition, as this trend continues (supported by the aforementioned "weak anthropic" principle) this type of PRO-totype will be readily available -- therefore the position will become far more "plug and play" than the classical model. That means, relatively speaking, you can more easily / seamlessly replace a "great athlete" playing QB than a great QB (classic model) playing QB. Lower "quality" for sure (if you're into nuance and not just raw athletic talent) but far more availability and hence disposable.
It’s a great post Big Fish

I’m not sure that age old argument that to win a championship you’re gonna have to to sit back in the pocket and win on reads and throws holds true.

No, Hurts was a heck of a QB, passer, in college. It's not close to compare the two as far as passing.
Just check out the completion percentage, TDs. It's not close.

False. Hurts just had half a dozen of what turned out to be the best weapons in the NFL surrounding him while he was in college - at Bama and Oklahoma. Richardson had nothing around him at Florida in terms of elite skill position talent. He WAS the elite skill position talent.

Hurts was so ineffective at Alabama he couldn’t convert 3rd downs passing the football. The receivers finally revolted in the locker room at halftime of the national championship game and he lost his job and transferred.

Tua is what forced Jalen Hurts to take a hard look at himself and improve as a passer.

If Jalen Hurts can be in the MVP conversation in the NFL, Anthony Richardson can certainly play quarterback in the NFL.

All you had to do to understand how talented Richardson is - was watch Florida’s offense without him.

It’s a great post Big Fish

I’m not sure that age old argument that to win a championship you’re gonna have to to sit back in the pocket and win on reads and throws holds true.
It won't. And it's close to not mattering now. It's a different "game" and the position moving forward will no longer be dominated by the "classical" spec. In fact -- those kids will (essentially) be rooted out / discarded by the system (HS - College pipeline) in favor of the "superior athlete."

For me, as a fan of the game, the question is, and has always been, is the result a better product to watch? Of course that's entirely subjective and perhaps the answer isn't "better" or "worse," just different. But for me, I strongly prefer the more classic QB position.

Funny thing is -- in certain ways, the game is almost de-evolving into the way it was played back in the original format. That said, maybe the wing T is around the corner!

It won't. And it's close to not mattering now. It's a different "game" and the position moving forward will no longer be dominated by the "classical" spec. In fact -- those kids will (essentially) be rooted out / discarded by the system (HS - College pipeline) in favor of the "superior athlete."

For me, as a fan of the game, the question is, and has always been, is the result a better product to watch? Of course that's entirely subjective and perhaps the answer isn't "better" or "worse," just different. But for me, I strongly prefer the more classic QB position.

Funny thing is -- in certain ways, the game is almost de-evolving into the way it was played back in the original format. That said, maybe the wing T is around the corner!
agreed..

i do enjoy the rise of the athletic qb, i want to attack defense with all the qbs skillset not just arm..

i feel like with these defenders and how great thier athleticism getting them to hesitate thru the qbs multi facected skillset gives such an advantage..

unless of course you find the next brady, Manning or Warner..then do your thing..protect protect protect..

i think Tua is that guy where we should do everything possible to protect because thats how you’re gonna get the most majic out of that left arm, however, i do want him just to establish his legs on the easy space in front of him

False. Hurts just had half a dozen of what turned out to be the best weapons in the NFL surrounding him while he was in college - at Bama and Oklahoma. Richardson had nothing around him at Florida in terms of elite skill position talent. He WAS the elite skill position talent.

Hurts was so ineffective at Alabama he couldn’t convert 3rd downs passing the football. The receivers finally revolted in the locker room at halftime of the national championship game and he lost his job and transferred.

Tua is what forced Jalen Hurts to take a hard look at himself and improve as a passer.

If Jalen Hurts can be in the MVP conversation in the NFL, Anthony Richardson can certainly play quarterback in the NFL.

All you had to do to understand how talented Richardson is - was watch Florida’s offense without him.

I had never seen a guy anywhere near as big as Richardson move the way he does.

Couldn't agree more about his situation at UF.

This is pure Hillbilly truth!

No doubt. You can bet every team noticed what Philly achieved with Hurts and that only underscores the trend will only accelerate.

That said, from what I saw of Richardson -- his game tends to collapse from time to time and it seemed to be all mental. But that's just my impression and even if correct -- could be addressed relative to the system that's built around him.

Can he ever compete straight up against the talents like Mahomes or Allen? I don't think so. But if he's optimized and he's got what it takes between the ears -- he certainly has the skill set to be a very effective NFL QB (given the trend of the game).

Just because some of you viewed Hurts as a runner at the time does not mean Hurts was not a heck of a passer in college. Bottom line production speaks, not only did Hurts stick around and start for several seasons and accomplish more but his passing stats are way better than Richardson's.
Richardson is UDFA value and Hurts was #1 overall value coming out, on passing alone.

I had never seen a guy anywhere near as big as Richardson move the way he does.

Couldn't agree more about his situation at UF.
The NBA is full of them, just shave a little weight off him and he is every 2 guard in the League. BTW......there are some impressive highlights online of Richardson playing hoops too!

But that is the thing that pops off the screen more than anything else, the fluid grace he moves with. He moves like a much smaller man on the actual Football field and has from the beginning. I can't imagine his Combine showing changes any opinions on him, we knew he was a freak athlete.

The NBA is full of them, just shave a little weight off him and he is every 2 guard in the League. BTW......there are some impressive highlights online of Richardson playing hoops too!

But that is the thing that pops off the screen more than anything else, the fluid grace he moves with. He moves like a much smaller man on the actual Football field and has from the beginning. I can't imagine his Combine showing changes any opinions on him, we knew he was a freak athlete.

Meant QB and should have specified. But, I agree that it should not change things. It was already clear he is a rare athlete. This performance went as expected.

Dude is an amazing specimen. He can basically start at all positions other than Oline and Dline. Just for that he is worth a top 10 pick.

It is ALWAYS good to be a great athlete.

Richardson's tape shows enough to allow you to dream big about his tools.

IF the team that takes him shows some patience and develops him correctly then the sky is the limit.

Richardson developed a lot over the season
I remember he made some questionable, situational decisions against USF and by the end of the season he was shredding, with one scholarship WR, a statistically effective FSU defense.
With the right guidance i think he will continue to develop exponentially and quickly, Frank Reich and the Panthers would be a good fit if he somehow lasts that long.
I think he's selected within the top 3 presuming his momentum continues to build.

Back
Top Bottom