2023 Quarterback (Underclassman) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2023 Quarterback (Underclassman)

As always I respect your guys's opinions on the player.

But I'm not comfortable with Anthony Richardson at all as a guy that I would plan to be next franchise player. I could maybe be convinced to toss a 2nd or 3rd rounder out on the guy.

He gets compared to Josh Allen, but that's mostly because people are trying to explain why a guy can go from looking so bad at times to actually being an elite level pro. It's a biased exercise. Go re-watch Josh Allen games and then watch Anthony Richardson games, and it's like these two aren't even playing the same sport.

I see a loop in Richardson's throwing motion. Everyone's mileage may vary but I see a guy who drops the ball down to his waist. And while yeah this is something that could be corrected, the issue there is TO ME this loop seems like a source of his accuracy, a source of stability and consistency in his throwing motion. Almost like a a three-point shooter who uses his front leg kick as a tool for consistency in his timing and the motion of his jump shot. When I see Richardson lack the time or space to go into his loop, that's when the ball seems to start spraying around. So would you really want to correct something that's helping Richardson's accuracy? And on the flip side, can you trust him to fling the ball around without much time or space?

I think Richardson has a chance to develop. But you can say that about a million prospects. You have to satisfy yourself as to why you would bet that this will be one of the handful of humans who make it from Point A to Point B that way. I don't want to overthink it because defenses will be fearful of his mobility and his arm strength. But there's a ton of landscape between those two things that just looks...blank. He has a lot of ground to cover before you can even say he's playing the same game as pro quarterbacks, and that gives me a hell of a lot of pause.
It’s good to see you around man

My favorite QB in this draft is CJ Stroud. He’s my QB 1. He’s accurate, and what he did to that Ga defense was a thing of beauty. Surprised he’s not as hyped as the other QBs TBH.

Bryce Young weighed in at 5-10 204.
He won't play at that weight so it means nothing.

He played at Bama in the 180's and if you want that guy that is what he will play at, maybe low 190's.

He is CLEARLY the top QB in this Draft in terms of actual performance in actual football games, so if you want your QB to be good at Football, take Young and live with his durability worries.

Richardson 6-4 244 👀
Richardson is the most interesting player in this entire class.

Following his progress is going to be fascinating.

I look forward to seeing who takes the big swing with him and then how they handle him as a rookie.

I think he should play at 5-10 204, that's Russ Wilson frame, that's good.
That would be putting on upwards of 15 LBS(maybe more)from his natural playing weight.

Not saying he can't do it but he might lose a step with the extra weight.

Richardson is the most interesting player in this entire class.

Following his progress is going to be fascinating.

I look forward to seeing who takes the big swing with him and then how they handle him as a rookie.
I think he goes high because in the modern NFL you can now design an offense around a Qb who doesn’t have to drop and read coverage to win.

You can do read option, you can do RPO, you can boot left, boot right, you can scramble and be a playmaker, you can make plays that have a 1,2 progression, first progression plays and throws.

What you need for that type of scheme to thrive is a super athletic freak like a Richardson..

Now I haven’t studied the guy because we’re not in the market so I’m not gonna waste time but if Jalen Hurts can get to a Super Bowl then it opens it up for non traditional schemes to thrive.

That scheme for his skillset is perfect for Hurts because he can do so many things athletically plus the off script stuff and the RPO game, plus the one two passes, defenses don’t know where it’s coming from.

I think he goes high because in the modern NFL you can now design an offense around a Qb who doesn’t have to drop and read coverage to win.

You can do read option, you can do RPO, you can boot left, boot right, you can scramble and be a playmaker, you can make plays that have a 1,2 progression, first progression plays and throws.

What you need for that type of scheme to thrive is a super athletic freak like a Richardson..

Now I haven’t studied the guy because we’re not in the market so I’m not gonna waste time but if Jalen Hurts can get to a Super Bowl then it opens it up for non traditional schemes to thrive.

That scheme for his skillset is perfect for Hurts because he can do so many things athletically plus the off script stuff and the RPO game, plus the one two passes, defenses don’t know where it’s coming from.
Hurts go NOWHERE without the best OL in the League in front of him, not to mention a great group of weapons to throw to.

I think Philly goes to the SB with a lot of NFL QB's in his place.

Stick Hurts in Chicago with ZERO help and he looks like Fields did, big plays on the ground and no WINNING.

IF Richardson improves his QB skills he can be a star, if not he is going to be a dangerous runner who does not throw well enough to elevate a team.

Hurts go NOWHERE without the best OL in the League in front of him,

No, Hurts was a heck of a QB, passer, in college. It's not close to compare the two as far as passing.
Just check out the completion percentage, TDs. It's not close.

Hurts go NOWHERE without the best OL in the League in front of him, not to mention a great group of weapons to throw to.

I think Philly goes to the SB with a lot of NFL QB's in his place.

Stick Hurts in Chicago with ZERO help and he looks like Fields did, big plays on the ground and no WINNING.

IF Richardson improves his QB skills he can be a star, if not he is going to be a dangerous runner who does not throw well enough to elevate a team.
Agreed on hurts, but I believe my point about how many ways you can attack a defense with A skillset like Richardsons mimimizes dropping and going thru reads in a traditional sense

I think he goes high because in the modern NFL you can now design an offense around a Wb who doesn’t have to drop and read coverage to win.

That scheme for his skillset is perfect because he can do so many things athletically plus the off script stuff and the RPO game, defenses don’t know where it’s coming from.
You cover a number of points that essentially "redefine" the QB position as long time NFL fans have known it to be. To me, the reality of the NFL QB market is akin (associativly speaking) to the "weak anthropic" principle -- specifically the market (viability) for this kid is entirely related to the conditions (aka opportunities) for his existence in todays NFL.

Put another way, historically (dare I say "classically") speaking he's a poor prospect and probably would have never played QB at the big-time college level. But the core criteria for the position has radically changed. It's far more raw measurable athletically based than (dare I say) "nuanced" and refined as a "classic pocket passing QB."

In addition, as this trend continues (supported by the aforementioned "weak anthropic" principle) this type of PRO-totype will be readily available -- therefore the position will become far more "plug and play" than the classical model. That means, relatively speaking, you can more easily / seamlessly replace a "great athlete" playing QB than a great QB (classic model) playing QB. Lower "quality" for sure (if you're into nuance and not just raw athletic talent) but far more availability and hence disposable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom