2023 Quarterback (Underclassman) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2023 Quarterback (Underclassman)

Slimm is it safe to say that while you won't be writing up your comprehensive yearly rankings on all positions, you will be here in the draft form just commenting on players?

Nope. I’m out brother. No longer will I exist in the realm of any football message board.
####....thats for my own selfish reasons....well, I wish you all good things in your future, apprciate the work and knowledge.:)

####....thats for my own selfish reasons....well, I wish you all good things in your future, apprciate the work and knowledge.:)

Same to you djphinfan . You are a tremendous poster. Not many of those on football message boards when you get right down to it.

People like you will always keep sites like this from being 100% trash.

I’ll certainly miss a few of you. But not very many.

You will be missed Slimm, I have always enjoyed your takes on players and your glorious short fuse. :UP:

I am looking forward to the USC/Stanford game Sat night.

Tanner McKee might be the best pure passer in this Draft class.

Not the athlete the other top guys are and has little talent around him but he might be the most accurate passer in this very strong group.
I am looking forward to the USC/Stanford game Sat night.

Tanner McKee might be the best pure passer in this Draft class.

Not the athlete the other top guys are and has little talent around him but he might be the most accurate passer in this very strong group.
I also think he'd fit Miami's system. Plus, McKee is projected as a third day pick. At least for now. Definitely an interesting prospect.

Not knowing if Tua can stay on the field, the Dolphins should load up at quarterback.

McKee will end up going in R2 at the latest.

I think Skylar showed enough for the team to be confident in him as a backup but they may want a more established veteran in the room as well.

I doubt they draft a QB this year.

Slimm, where do you slot in Levis?

For me it's either Levis or Young at 2 - Stroud at 4.

I'd draft any of the Top 3 in the Top 10. Stroud had the best game of his life vs Georgia, but I still feel his odds of hitting and the payoff if he hits make him more of a Mac Jones than a Joe Burrow.

Richardson will have growing pains due to inexperience, but the instincts, playmaking, and tools are like a blend of Newton and Allen. His footwork in the pocket is pretty slick, and his release is quick and compact (much better than Newton's - somewhat similar to Allen's).

Would love it if he had 1,000 pass attempts, but Richardson puts a different kind of pressure on defenses. He can score with his legs from anywhere and get the ball anywhere you can dream. When you stretch a D like that, you have a much greater margin of error than other QB's. And, imo the concerns people have for Richardson would be legitimate if he wasn't a 0.001%'er with that huge margin for error.

Slimm, where do you slot in Levis?

For me it's either Levis or Young at 2 - Stroud at 4.

I'd draft any of the Top 3 in the Top 10. Stroud had the best game of his life vs Georgia, but I still feel his odds of hitting and the payoff if he hits make him more of a Mac Jones than a Joe Burrow.

Richardson will have growing pains due to inexperience, but the instincts, playmaking, and tools are like a blend of Newton and Allen. His footwork in the pocket is pretty slick, and his release is quick and compact (much better than Newton's - somewhat similar to Allen's).

Would love it if he had 1,000 pass attempts, but Richardson puts a different kind of pressure on defenses. He can score with his legs from anywhere and get the ball anywhere you can dream. When you stretch a D like that, you have a much greater margin of error than other QB's. And, imo the concerns people have for Richardson would be legitimate if he wasn't a 0.001%'er with that huge margin for error.

As usual, you see what they don’t - and say what they won’t. I agree in regards to Richardson.

However, I’m not as sold on Young, Stroud, or Levis. I just think every quarterback in this draft is going to be over drafted - except Richardson.

Levis has critical flaws that are going to land him closer to being Chad Henne than Ryan Tannehill. He has the tools of a top 5-10 pick, just not the game.

Are Bryce Young and Chris Stroud better than Anthony Richardson today? Maybe so. But are they going to be better than Richardson in a year or two? I probably wouldn’t bet that way.

As usual, you see what they don’t - and say what they won’t. I agree in regards to Richardson.

However, I’m not as sold on Young, Stroud, or Levis. I just think every quarterback in this draft is going to be over drafted - except Richardson.

Levis has critical flaws that are going to land him closer to being Chad Henne than Ryan Tannehill. He has the tools of a top 5-10 pick, just not the game.

Are Bryce Young and Chris Stroud better than Anthony Richardson today? Maybe so. But are they going to be better than Richardson in a year or two? I probably wouldn’t bet that way.

Appreciate you, Slimm! Fun stat ^

As always I respect your guys's opinions on the player.

But I'm not comfortable with Anthony Richardson at all as a guy that I would plan to be next franchise player. I could maybe be convinced to toss a 2nd or 3rd rounder out on the guy.

He gets compared to Josh Allen, but that's mostly because people are trying to explain why a guy can go from looking so bad at times to actually being an elite level pro. It's a biased exercise. Go re-watch Josh Allen games and then watch Anthony Richardson games, and it's like these two aren't even playing the same sport.

I see a loop in Richardson's throwing motion. Everyone's mileage may vary but I see a guy who drops the ball down to his waist. And while yeah this is something that could be corrected, the issue there is TO ME this loop seems like a source of his accuracy, a source of stability and consistency in his throwing motion. Almost like a a three-point shooter who uses his front leg kick as a tool for consistency in his timing and the motion of his jump shot. When I see Richardson lack the time or space to go into his loop, that's when the ball seems to start spraying around. So would you really want to correct something that's helping Richardson's accuracy? And on the flip side, can you trust him to fling the ball around without much time or space?

I think Richardson has a chance to develop. But you can say that about a million prospects. You have to satisfy yourself as to why you would bet that this will be one of the handful of humans who make it from Point A to Point B that way. I don't want to overthink it because defenses will be fearful of his mobility and his arm strength. But there's a ton of landscape between those two things that just looks...blank. He has a lot of ground to cover before you can even say he's playing the same game as pro quarterbacks, and that gives me a hell of a lot of pause.

As always I respect your guys's opinions on the player.

But I'm not comfortable with Anthony Richardson at all as a guy that I would plan to be next franchise player. I could maybe be convinced to toss a 2nd or 3rd rounder out on the guy.

He gets compared to Josh Allen, but that's mostly because people are trying to explain why a guy can go from looking so bad at times to actually being an elite level pro. It's a biased exercise. Go re-watch Josh Allen games and then watch Anthony Richardson games, and it's like these two aren't even playing the same sport.

I see a loop in Richardson's throwing motion. Everyone's mileage may vary but I see a guy who drops the ball down to his waist. And while yeah this is something that could be corrected, the issue there is TO ME this loop seems like a source of his accuracy, a source of stability and consistency in his throwing motion. Almost like a a three-point shooter who uses his front leg kick as a tool for consistency in his timing and the motion of his jump shot. When I see Richardson lack the time or space to go into his loop, that's when the ball seems to start spraying around. So would you really want to correct something that's helping Richardson's accuracy? And on the flip side, can you trust him to fling the ball around without much time or space?

I think Richardson has a chance to develop. But you can say that about a million prospects. You have to satisfy yourself as to why you would bet that this will be one of the handful of humans who make it from Point A to Point B that way. I don't want to overthink it because defenses will be fearful of his mobility and his arm strength. But there's a ton of landscape between those two things that just looks...blank. He has a lot of ground to cover before you can even say he's playing the same game as pro quarterbacks, and that gives me a hell of a lot of pause.

Of course, respect your opinion too, CK. That's my sparknotes argument for Richardson.

Richardson really tried to do things from the pocket as much as possible at UF - sometimes to the detriment of his performance. If he was looking to break contain and use his legs when possible, I think his numbers look better. Or, if he was in a one-read offense, I think his numbers look better. Imo he didn't rely on his physical tools the way Josh Allen did at Wyoming or Cam Newton did at Auburn. As JT O'Sullivan has pointed out, UF had weird-to-bad spacing on its passing concepts, and UF's WR's are below average - be surprised if any of them see the field (on offense anyway) in the NFL.

So, you have a QB who is trying to go through progressions but has limited reps, in a bad offense, with bad supporting talent. The other thing imo is his lower-half mechanics - feet coming together, throwing from his toes too much. Toss in his 11.4 (will confirm) air yards per attempt, and you have a very up-and-down performance.

His arm mechanics look good to me, but I will go back check.

The thing with Richardson is consistency. There are lots of reps where he shows exactly what you'd hope - from the pocket and as a playmaker. Regarding Newton and Allen, who are his closest physical comps, Richardson is further along (imo of course) in his ability to read defenses and navigate the pocket. Newton was in a decidedly college offense, and Allen was more prone to go off-script. Richardson still needs to grow in his ability to read defenses, but I don't see the same adjustment in play style for him that was necessary from Newton and Allen. He needs to continue to grow in the path he's on, rather than changing course. If anything, he could go off-script more often. We could argue he doesn't have that in him as much, but he has some of the most spectacular off-script highlights you'll see. I'd also argue his throwing motion is similar to Allen's and much better/smoother than Newton's.

Ultimately, the details matter when looking at his ceiling. For him to be one of the best, he'll need to be more accurate and more consistent. I don't see fatal flaws, but I could be wrong. When speaking of his floor, though, I don't think they matter. He's going to be a top-half QB on physical ability alone.

In terms of the mechanics of the position, I'd argue that Josh Allen is below average. His accuracy, decision-making, and avoidance of negative plays are not as good as guys like Cousins and Carr. He's one of the best because of his physical gifts and playmaking ability - and because of all the ways defenses compromise themselves when compensating for his abilities. During Newton's prime, the same was true.

Richardson needs to continue to improve to reach the levels of QB play they achieved in the NFL, but I don't see him as particularly far away. Like Allen, when he reaches the NFL, things will be easier in some ways, because his surrounding talent and scheme won't put him at such a significant disadvantage.

We could also talk about QB's like Jackson, Hurts, and Fields - and even Herbert - as guys who exceeded expectations because of their physical tools (Fields ties Tua for one of the worst situations ever for a young QB, and he takes too many sacks, but even in that situation, he gave the offense a floor).

If you draft Richardson, you won't be wrong. It's just a matter of how right you'll be. Contrary to popular wisdom, I'm more inclined to listen to arguments against his ceiling than his floor, but I do love his ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom