.343 - This season was a mirage | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

.343 - This season was a mirage

It is how Miami made the playoffs in 2008 and in 2016.

For Miami to make the playoffs an annual event rather than being schedule dependent every now and then, the Dolphins need to acquire some elite talent.

And it all revolves around the QB. Hoping Tua is going to be the guy. I haven't given up on him yet. Sewell or Chase at #3 would be a solid start to acquiring elite talent.

#1 in scoring defense is not a mirage. You cannot mirage that.
Just need to fix up the offense and we'll be fine.
Well, when you play the Jets twice, Patriots twice, the Jags, Bengals with a backup, and 49ers with a backup, yup, numbers are going to be severely inflated

Eh. The Jets and Jags combining to be 3-29 didn’t help there. Tennessee and Indy got the pleasure of playing them (Jags) twice a year and they’re in. Kansas City’s division isn’t all world. Green Bay doesn’t have anyone difficult to play and the NFC East should be banned from football.

It happens.

Eh. The Jets and Jags combining to be 3-29 didn’t help there. Tennessee and Indy got the pleasure of playing them (Jags) twice a year and they’re in. Kansas City’s division isn’t all world. Green Bay doesn’t have anyone difficult to play and the NFC East should be banned from football.

It happens.
And here I thought all the playoff teams just continuously played each other.

#1 in scoring defense is not a mirage. You cannot mirage that.
Just need to fix up the offense and we'll be fine.
They dropped down to #6 which still isn't bad, but the teams Miami played with good offenses were not held in check...Buffalo 2 games, Seahawks, Cardinals, Chiefs, and Raiders were the teams that finished in the top half in scoring and they combined to score 207 points in 6 games for a 34.5 ppg average. Of course, there was a pick 6 and PR for a TD against Buffalo which would drop that down to 32.2 and not sure if there were previous points scored by the opponents defense and ST prior to Buffalo this week off the top of my head so perhaps it was slightly lower. But giving up 32 PPG against the good teams is not going to result in too many wins come playoff time.

The 10 games playing against teams finishing in the bottom half of the league in PPG, Miami gave up 131 for a 13.1ppg.

Last edited:
You make some excellent points.

I loved the win against the 49ers, 43-17. I know SF ended up 6-10, but at that time they were just a few months removed from the super bowl. The Dolphins dominated that game from start to finish, in every way imaginable.

Miami is clearly on the rise, but still have a way to go. The defense was able to dominate the lesser teams/quarterbacks, but gave up big plays against the likes of Mahomes, Murray and Allen. If the pass rush doesn't get home, having those corners on an island is risky. Then again, not many teams can slow down those quarterbacks. If you sit in zone, they'll pick you apart as well.

Adding talent at wide receiver and running back has to be the priority this offseason. But, if the Dolphins can find an elite pass rusher that would be huge. Understandably, that's a hard task.

lmao it was the second year of a rebuild and the team went 10-6 and narrowly missed the playoffs. idgaf how it happened it was a good season.
If you look at the league standings, you'll see this is not rare. Good teams beat up on bad teams every year and make most of their wins against them. Look, if you beat 10 teams (9 technically since Jets were twice), you're basically beating a third of the league, so that's a far cry from where this team was in September 2019. The point differential and how close they were in games against teams like Seattle and KC says a lot for the progress.

This whole narrative is garbage.... It's just like the Tua narrative. I've never seen people want someone or something so much, then root for him and us to fail, or see the negatives and judge only based on them. Christ man, it's year 2 of the rebuild, we weren't supposed to go higher than 7-9 or 8-8... But we did and there's exciting football ahead for the first time in 20+ years for the Dolphins....

They werent number 1. And yes scoring defense is greatly affected by the quality of opponents
Well, they were number one until the last game is what I think the poster meant. Also, don't confuse "bad teams" with teams that cannot score. The Chargers were "bad" but could score. Miami's D was terrific in that game. The Dolphins faced some great offences. They dominated the Rams (10-6) and intercepted Mahomes 3 times in a game that was a 4th and 1 stop away from getting really interesting. The Cardinals have a good offence. The Bills had the most points scored and had to play them twice. The Seahawks were at the top of the league as well. So they have a good defence, it just collapsed for some reason after the first quarter yesterday and didn't play well. They had company.

Back
Top Bottom