.343 - This season was a mirage | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

.343 - This season was a mirage

Next year our schedule will be harder and we might be a better team than this year and go 9-7 or 10-6 again. We just gotta keep progressing
Or 5-11 when they dont get the turnover luck they did this year.

Here's what makes me confident is that we did use some gimmick to go 10-6. No wildcat offense to win games.
And no offseason wasting picks on wildcat personnel.

We'll see how the fo runs the offseason. If the approach it as year 3 of a rebuild well have a good shot at actually rebuilding this team. If thry get cute and think we are one or two pieces away and dump top dollar on a few guys and ignore other holes We'll be capping our long term growth

What does this stat really tell us when the Jets have a SOV of .656 with only 2 wins by a total of 10pts and Jacksonville had a SOV of .688 with 1 win. Also the Jets played the same teams as us! Explain this to me.

I think that some people get a little too crazy with trying to analyze absolutely everything. We were 10-6 with a total **** offense.

10-6 is what they are. Indisputable. Man this place is starting to drive me nuts.

As others have said, we won 10 games with a team that was by far the worst in the league for a large part of last season and is in the beginnings of a total overhaul. What we did this season was very impressive. Not only did we win 10 games but all of our losses were close with legitimate chances to win, besides the final game with the Bills.

I'd rather beat shitty teams, than lose to shitty teams, which is what we used to do.

There is a team with 7 wins hosting a playoff game this week, now that's shitty.

Next year our schedule will be harder and we might be a better team than this year and go 9-7 or 10-6 again. We just gotta keep progressing

Maybe, but I think the real test will be if we get into the playoffs

I feel the biggest focal point next year will be the QB.

I'm not anti-Tua, but I had injury concerns. I am now satisfied that will not be as big a problem as I thought. Valid questions about how well he can play remain, but I believe they can and will be resolved this upcoming season. I felt lack of a pre-season was more of a negative for unestablished (lots of new players) teams last year and especially their QB's.

I anticipate the following QB scenarios:

1) Our current biggest real problem is in having a solid backup QB.
Can we get Fitzpatrick back?
If so, will it be as a player or a coach - Either would be well received by me.

2) If we don't get Fitzpatrick back as a player, do we use the draft or Free Agency?
At this point I would look at the draft first for a developmental QB with confidence, not swagger. I have no favorites but hope the Front Office continue doing their solid and effective drafting.

3) If a backup QB is not found in the draft, lets go to Free Agency for an experienced (28 to 32 years old) with as many games as possible under his belt.
His win/loss record is secondary because the team(s) he was on make a big difference.
What we really want is a guy who has played on several teams under many different coaching systems and is still in the NFL.

We need to let our coaching staff decide if any given QB candidate is likely to be effective in our system.

4) Focus on Tua. The coaches have half a season of on field experience with him. It will probably take this upcoming season to really see what we've got, especially if we end up with a new OC.

We will always need to be looking for a replacement QB for whomever is our current QB, because QB's get injured.

If we can use a draftee for that function, more the better. If not, we should have a veteran backup QB who can carry us until we get a new "franchise" QB. I assume this could take as long as one season, so don't ever ignore how important that backup QB position really is. That's just the way it is in the NFL.

Well, when you play the Jets twice, Patriots twice, the Jags, Bengals with a backup, and 49ers with a backup, yup, numbers are going to be severely inflated
the 49ers had their starting QB in. We also beat the Rams and Cardinals at their full strength. That is 3 quality wins, 2 of which were on the road, for what most people agreed was one of the strongest divisions in football this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the season but I never forgot that this is still a team in the rebuilding mode and I never thought they would get out of the first round of the playoffs if they did make the playoffs. They just have too many holes to fill to be able to beat the best teams in the playoffs at this time.

I always felt this season was about playing the younger players in an attempt to find those players they want to build around. That is also why I preferred Tua over Fitzpatrick even though Fitzpatrick is the better QB at this time. Fitzpatrick though is not a QB who is going to take the Dolphins on a run in the playoffs. The Bills would have easily won the game yesterday even if Fitzpatrick was the starting QB and not Tua.

I have always felt that 2021 would be the season the Dolphins become a team that will be a legitimate threat in the playoffs. With another draft and if they sign some quality free agents, the Dolphins should be a better team next season. This season was fun while it lasted but the Bills clearly showed the Dolphins yesterday how far they need to go to get to the level the Bills are at right now.

It is up to Grier, Flores and the personnel department now to determine which players they want to continue to rebuild the team around and to bring in the upgraded talent to continue to improve the roster. Hopefully they will be able to upgrade the roster to the point the Dolphins will become a playoff team in the 2021 season.

Guys don't make it personal please

Attack the post not the poster

Thanks

It is fair to question the defense against top quarterbacks, top offensive teams - Mahomes, Murray, Allen. They had takeways, but they allowed a lot of points. Defense must be more competitive against top competition.

Last edited:
It is fair to question the defense against top quarterbacks, top offensive teams - Mahomes, Murray, Allen. The had takeways, but they allowed a lot of points. Defense must be more competitive against top competition.
Yeah its fair, there's work to do there

Back
Top Bottom