.343 - This season was a mirage | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

.343 - This season was a mirage

Lol "saw progress in almost every facet"
Tua regressed
Byron regressed
Ogbah regressed
Wide receivers were always terrible
Oline regressed
X was literally that good that he held this team. Without him, we wouldn't have a defensive identity and without that identity we'd be a 6 win team

I can understand feeling this way if all you looked at was the box score. Didnt realize X ran the defense. Or that every single turnover was purely X. Good call!

Right now our team has next to zero firepower on offense. You can't go far with Ford, Hollins and Perry when the other team has all pros. How are you going to blame the QB when nobody gets separation and when the do they drop the ball anyway. On top of that the run game stinks and pass protection is leaky. Tua deserves a mulligan for this season but the experiance he got will help big time going forward.

Before you get down on Tua realize that this is the same kid that lite it up for Alabama. He'll be a very fine NFL QB but he needs a run game, pass protection and some stud receivers, no different than what any QB needs. The new OC is a big hire. I do hope they try to bring in a big name guy that can get this offense turned around quickly.

Before you get down on Tua realize that this is the same kid that lite it up for Alabama. He'll be a very fine NFL QB but he needs a run game, pass protection and some stud receivers, no different than what any QB needs. The new OC is a big hire. I do hope they try to bring in a big name guy that can get this offense turned around quickly.
A qb who lit it up at alabama is as rare as a three leaf clover.

I think we improved big time this season.
Two things I didn't like at all:
On defense we went away from what was working to many times. As an example on the Bills game the amoeba look and the creative blitzing was getting Allen crazy, making him throwing it too soon and of Target, but after the first couple of series we decided to stop It and that's when Allen started to torch us. You continue to do what Is working until they show they can counter. This happened on several games.
On offense Gailey abused of the short throws and TEs with Tua, if you don't trust your QB, then put the veteran and let the rookie learn from the sideline. If the intention was to give live training to Tua, then open the hole book to him and live with it. I believe having Wilson, Williams and Parker back and healthy should drastically improve our offense. I think we need a new RB, a new Slot WR and a C/G that open holes in the middle. We need more players that can pressure an set the edge on defense and hope Tua and all three rookies on the OL improve a lot for next season.

A lot of people forget that following the Super Bowl run of the early 70’s....we had great teams in 75’ & 77’ that missed at 10-4 both years (14 game seasons).

In 77’, Griese was NFL player of the year and league leader in touchdown passes!
I'm not forgetting. I remember every detail of those two seasons, especially the upbeat 1977 season when we needed the Patriots to defeat the Colts in the finale. Agonizing game. Bert Jones was the most hated opposing player in Dolphin history for a long time, and it was caused by that Patriots game in which Jones clearly fumbled the ball while standing straight up but somehow the refs didn't see it. That referee was infamous in Miami for a long time.

Since the divisions changed the dolphins have played a 4th place schedule 5 times. 4 of those times they followed it up with a winning season (9-7,11-5,10-6,10-6). None of those were followed with a winning season (6-10, 7-9, 6-10). What makes you think this season will be any different? Because of flores and his negative 122 point differential is different? Im pretty sure people though nick saban was the real deal, tony sparano “built the team the right way” and gase finally got tannehill fixed. Flores single handily cost the dolphins the playoffs this year switching to tua. No guarantee that next year is going to be good.
I always try to emphasize that type of thing. One of the great misconceptions is that a surprisingly positive season is followed by another boost. More often than not it goes the other way. We are a huge candidate for regression after going from 5 wins to 10.

However, the AFC as a whole is likely for a regression so it balances out a little bit.

Our defensive scheme and personnel seem to be reliable and might limit the potential for decline. We're vulnerable against good quarterbacks who pass on early downs but that doesn't describe too many.

Our YPPA Differential was lousy at -.7. Miami was the only team in the league with a winning record that ended up with negative YPPA Differential. It wasn't bad most of the season but really dropped due to Tua's poor YPA, then obviously the defense getting shredded in the finale:

How can anyone say this season was a mirage when SEVEN of our 10 wins were by double digits? 4 of our 6 losses were 1 score games as well. The Patriots Week 1, Broncos Week 11 and Bills Week 17 were the only 3 games that left me disappointed from an "eye test" standpoint.

Win Margins

@49ers +26
vs Jets +24
@Jaguars +18
@jets +17
vs Bengals +12
vs Rams +11
vs Patriots +10
vs Chargers +8
@Cardinals +3
@Raiders +1

Not to mention the +66 point differential that sat at +96 a week ago.

How can anyone say this season was a mirage when SEVEN of our 10 wins were by double digits? 4 of our 6 losses were 1 score games as well. The Patriots Week 1, Broncos Week 11 and Bills Week 17 were the only 3 games that left me disappointed from an "eye test" standpoint.

that's the problem with football. Millions of stats and no agreement one which is THE stat. Let me pick the stat and I can 'prove' the '72 Dolphins suck.

Said many times . . . D is weak at LB, no pass rush, BUT still top of league. O had 3 rookie OLmen, rookie QB, no quality RB, weak receiver corps and significant injuries. 10-6. I see no mirage

.343 says it all.

.343 was our strength of victory

Only 4 teams had a lower SOV % then us, and only one of those teams made it to the playoffs- the Bears, and we all know, they're a fraud.

We weren't a good team, we were just good at beating up on bad teams.

Our best win was probably against a regressing Jared Goff.

I thought our best opponent might have been against the Cardinals but they fell apart at the end of the season, finishing 3-5 (with a crazy hailmary to get one of those wins)

Outside of Xavien Howard, what does this team really have that scares opponents?

Gesicki is solid, Parker is as well, albeit not someone you can count on for an entire season.

Our OL was getting smashed by Bills backups.

On defense, We have solid guys with guys like Sieler, Davis Wilkins, KVN, AVG, Rowe, and Baker.

Byron is the most overpaid player in the league. Ogbah fizzled out. - He had 1 sack in his last 6 games.

As for me Brian Flores, I love me some B Flo but his defense is predicated on keeping his DBs on an island, if they can do that, our team shines, and they usually do, but if there's a mental lapse by anyone of those guys, it's a huge play. I think we were one of the top defenses giving up 20+ yards for the season.

Also, although Flo should be applauded for the turnaround he's led, I'll never understand this odd game plan where we start off ultra conservative on offense, and then in the 2nd half, with our backs against the wall, Flo decides to open it up. Can anyone explain that oddity? It's so bizarre.

Umm, it's not really that simple, some teams are hot when you get them, but eventually fall apart, and vise-versa.

When we beat that the 49ers in San Fran, they were still pretty healthy, including the return of Garoppolo, who then looked really good the following week against a very hot Rams team.

We later had to play another hot team in their home, the Cardinals, then after that we played a very hot and talented Rams team that had lost the week before.

Beating the Chargers with a Young QB that had a lot to prove, and many offensive weapons was not a cake walk.

Almost coming back on a great Chiefs team without any real receiving weapons, beating Belichick who owns Rookie QBs with still no receiving weapons, coming back and beating a desperate Raiders team in Las Vegas.

Was Miami a top team or even a playoff caliber team...maybe or maybe not, but what is true, of all the teams that missed the playoffs, Miami was one of If not the best this year.

Imagine a defense with Micah Parsons taking the spot of Jerome Baker. Wow... thats an extra few sacks and probably a few more coverage pass breakups, for sure.

I think we saw a lot of development and people are just SO GODDAMN IMPATIENT and DESPERATE to prove their are right / light up a hot take.

Imagine a defense with Micah Parsons taking the spot of Jerome Baker. Wow... thats an extra few sacks and probably a few more coverage pass breakups, for sure.

I think we saw a lot of development and people are just SO GODDAMN IMPATIENT and DESPERATE to prove their are right / light up a hot take.
So he makes an additional amount of impact plays that you can count on one hand.

Sure, definitely better than a WR who could hit 100+ catches in his sleep. I absolutely despise the idea that we would take Parsons.

Youre in the wrong thread, or you're reading my comment within the wrong context. Read my comment within the context of the thread and its subject matter. We're discussing this coaching staff.

Put Collins in there. Assume I said "LB Prospect #1" to signify that Flores is getting great production out of players that had not gotten it. Seems like you're going around pickin' fights with everyone in every thread. Cmon.

Back
Top Bottom