36 years | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

36 years

The first Super bowl I remember watching was the turnover fest between Dallas and Denver so my first with my team in it was Miami vs Washington with Walker's return and Riggins' 4th down dagger. I'm a lifelong Kansas fan (and alum) and so Riggins was a hero until that day. That was the first time I lost a bet and had to actual pay up, $5, big money to a n elementary kid in 1982.

1985 was really painful for me. To that point no team I supported had one a championship and I was so confident we would beat the 'Niners despite what many were saying. I had NFL wallpaper in my room with logos of all the teams and I crossed out all the San Fran ones which didn't go over well with the parents but I was looking for any karma I could find.

Later that year the Royals would win the World Series and in '88 KU cut down the nets but I have still not experienced a Dolphins Super bowl win. I have rooted for several NBA winners but it's not the same as I'm not a passionate fan of anyone of them, I just normally root for teams with Jayhawks on them. I'm a big NBA fan, just don't have one single team, I used to go to Kings games with my dad as a kid but when they left it jaded us so I guess I became an anti-Kings fan.

Tampa Bay has been a better franchise than Miami post-Shula, no question about it.

Even the pre-SB winning, Tony Dungee Bucs were getting to conference championships, while the Dolphins were doing their regular one (in the wildcard round) and done (in the divisional round) shtick.
lol a lot of franchises have been better than Miami post Shula. Hell Houston has more division titles, playoff wins and appearances than Miami since they came in the league. If Houston gets to a title game before Miami next does....

i think i will be like that old eagles fan. old as hell probably wont know whats going on when it happens. but better to see it than not

That superbowl hurt so bad, I was at my uncles with my family, the dinner was ready at exactly the point when the 49ers started to control the game...I went to eat with Miami looking good, got back with Miami trailing.

That SB, but I thought, with Marino, we would be back many times...including the season the hurt the most, when Miami missed playing the Bears for the rematch...I would have loved to have seen Miami vs Chicago 2 so badly. I think Miami might have been able to give the Bears more fits, maybe even beaten them again...At the very least, given the Bears a better game, then the Patriots did.

I imagine it felt a lot like Chiefs fans did this morning. Miami was that kind of dominant.

Then again, the 49er team they faced was one of the all-time great ones and had a big advantage on defense. I remember the Dolphins leading early, but I believe Walsh countered the unprecedented Miami passing game by playing seven defensive backs. Shula brought in an extra offensive lineman, but the Dolphins still couldn't run the ball.

At the time I was extremely disappointed as I expected a close game from start to finish. But, this was also Dan Marino's first full season so I expected to see the Dolphins back in the big game.

That superbowl hurt so bad, I was at my uncles with my family, the dinner was ready at exactly the point when the 49ers started to control the game...I went to eat with Miami looking good, got back with Miami trailing.

That SB, but I thought, with Marino, we would be back many times...including the season the hurt the most, when Miami missed playing the Bears for the rematch...I would have loved to have seen Miami vs Chicago 2 so badly. I think Miami might have been able to give the Bears more fits, maybe even beaten them again...At the very least, given the Bears a better game, then the Patriots did.
How did we lose to the pats in 85? After winning the afc the year before against a mediocre steelers team I don't remember any teams being that good in afc besides us. I know england was good, but they were not special. We couldn't stop their run right? why didn't we just load the box becasue they didn't throw a lot. I don't know details because the year before i was only in second grade as i mentioned at start of thread. Did pats beat raiders? that is how we played them? We probably would have lost to raiders. They gave us fits back then. But we beat cleveland before pats game and browns were only 8-8. Who else was good?

This Super Bowl mimicked what happened to Miami 36 years ago.

The 49ers were the only team to shut down Miami’s dynamic offense by taking away the passing game employing 7 DBs and the DL dominated Miami’s OL getting to Marino. Both the Dolphins and the Chiefs lost by 22.

The Dolphins defense looked like Chiefs D tonight.

The parallels are uncanny. Both teams finished 14-2.
So true. Not to mention, the 49ers were essentially home playing in their backyard at Palo Alto. Able to practice where they always practiced, sleep in their own beds, etc.

How did we lose to the pats in 85? After winning the afc the year before against a mediocre steelers team I don't remember any teams being that good in afc besides us. I know england was good, but they were not special. We couldn't stop their run right? why didn't we just load the box becasue they didn't throw a lot. I don't know details because the year before i was only in second grade as i mentioned at start of thread. Did pats beat raiders? that is how we played them? We probably would have lost to raiders. They gave us fits back then. But we beat cleveland before pats game and browns were only 8-8. Who else was good?
If memory serves, Miami kind of gave that game away. I think the Dolphins had six turnovers. Played very sloppy. At the time, it was also Shula's first loss in an AFC title game.

I was 10 and I thought Marino, Duper and Clayton would just do their thing. I don't think I've ever felt as devastated after a sporting event. It didn't help that the 49ers went on to dominate for a decade. I always disliked them after that - I'm over it now (maybe) but still loved going there and putting 40 on them this year.

I still don't want Deshaun Watson to go to SF, there's potential for him and Shanahan to build a dynasty there. The 49ers fans have had their share of fun.
I didn't live in the Bay Area at that time, but I've also hated the 49ers since. I like some of their players, good people who do a lot in the community. I also like Shanahan. But, that 43-17 win was so satisfying. The best win of the year for the Dolphins IMO.

Marino threw 2 interceptions, and we couldn't stop the run. We also fumbled 3 times during the game. Go watch the game on youtube, the patriots basically ran us over completely for almost 300 yards. Eason had like 3 td's with less than 100 yards passing lol.

Personally, I think we overlooked them, which is a crazy thing to say about a Shula coached team that would over work, over prepare against the worst teams in the NFL.

What was even more brutal was I believe Grogan, not Eason, was the one that beat us.

I remember I had to work that day, and had no way to record that game. I worked part-time nights, so I was forced to also work weekends. I remember I timed just right to take lunch exactly as the game was in the 4th quarter, I was worse case, Miami would be up by only a few scores, and still vulnerable to maybe lose, or be winning by more then enough to be comfortable...I walked into the lunchroom with the TV showing the game, and I was stunned how close it was.

That was a nightmare and worse loss I ever saw.

Marino threw 2 interceptions, and we couldn't stop the run. We also fumbled 3 times during the game. Go watch the game on youtube, the patriots basically ran us over completely for almost 300 yards. Eason had like 3 td's with less than 100 yards passing lol.

Oh, so Eason was the QB...so much of that game I have forgotten. Terrible.

If memory serves, Miami kind of gave that game away. I think the Dolphins had six turnovers. Played very sloppy. At the time, it was also Shula's first loss in an AFC title game.
It was the Patriots’ first win in Miami- EVER! Hell of a time to pull that one out of the hat.

Back
Top Bottom