3rd Preseason Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Preseason Game

zach attach

Active Roster
Reaction score
By most accounts, the third game is the one where teams put their best players in and actually try to look like a real starting squad on the field.
So if we see the first teamers stink, by that I mean no TD's, penalties galore, field goal city, will the optimists be more concerned for opening day?
By the way, Im not freaking out about preseason, I am just very concerned.

I agree with you, hope I'm pleasantly surprised and shocked cause I expect more of the same.

I definitely think that you want to see your team look competitive out there in this game. Not so much on the scoreboard, but can you move the football, are are there horrible coverage breakdowns, missed tackles, etc.

Because in this game, the team is actually trying a little bit, as opposed to just running 'whatever' to practice it and evaluate the roster. So yeah, I absolutely hope that they look competent and ready for the regular season this week.

An interesting thing to note is that Baltimore has not lost a preseason game since 2015. I don't know what's happened in the last couple of years, but John Harbaugh has apparently decided that he's playing to win these things. 10 straight wins for them in the preseason, and a bunch of them were absolute blowouts. Interested to see if they come out hot on Monday night, too.

I take pre season with a grain of salt. Playbook is small and its far from the real deal of what they'll really run. But its always nice to see guys make plays

J. David, Baltimore always shuts us down. Like you said, they play hard in preseason so this could be a real test. If we lay an egg with the starters, it won't be because the Ravens took it easy on us, it'll more telling of our actual make up for the season.
Flip side, if we shut them down, happiness ensues.

J. David, Baltimore always shuts us down. Like you said, they play hard in preseason so this could be a real test. If we lay an egg with the starters, it won't be because the Ravens took it easy on us, it'll more telling of our actual make up for the season.
Flip side, if we shut them down, happiness ensues.

Only thing I'd add RE: Baltimore is that they play Monday night(!) for their week 2 game, and will then be turning around to play us on Saturday. If their starters get extended playing time on Monday night, that could absolutely impact their energy level on Saturday.

By most accounts, the third game is the one where teams put their best players in and actually try to look like a real starting squad on the field.
So if we see the first teamers stink, by that I mean no TD's, penalties galore, field goal city, will the optimists be more concerned for opening day?
By the way, Im not freaking out about preseason, I am just very concerned.

If any of these games mean something I agree it's this one and fixing some of the mental mistakes and turning FG's into TD's would be an encouraging sign win or lose.

This is the game the starters normally go the whole first half and maybe one drive in the 2nd half to work an adjusting. This should give us a better idea as to where we are as a team but having said that, I can't wait for the season to start so I don't have to hear anymore that this is just pre season and that what we see the team do doesn't really matter. I want to see one way or the other what kind of team we have for real.

I don't even necessarily care too much about seeing TDs from the first team O. I want to see them move the ball down there, run crisp routes. I want to see the OL put up some decent blocking and not have drive killing holding (or other) penalties.

I want to see the DTs maintain some blocks, and not get pushed around like rag dolls. Want to see the LBs take some good angles and make some stops. Want to see Minkah at FS, not slot corner. Want to see Xavien put a good game on film ... and hope that whoever is opposite him isn't gashed too much.

Well we know Parker isn't playing, Gore likely is. Stills, I think it's safe to say, is 50/50 as of today with no new info.

It doesn't make sense for Drake to touch the ball 6+ times again, frankly I wouldn't even suit him up.

If Gore wants to play, let him run the ball 15 times because those types of carries shouldn't be available in the regular season.

Let Tennessee prepare for an offense featuring Gore, Grant, Wilson Amendola and Smythe. Essentially all your back up skill position players who each can carve out there own role in this offense.

Don't play Gesicki either. Why? Because Mike Vrabel would be irritated AF if we did that.

Let the Jets, week 2, be the first to get a real crack at preparing for our offense.

Back
Top Bottom