3rd Preseason Game | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Preseason Game

By most accounts, the third game is the one where teams put their best players in and actually try to look like a real starting squad on the field.
So if we see the first teamers stink, by that I mean no TD's, penalties galore, field goal city, will the optimists be more concerned for opening day?
By the way, Im not freaking out about preseason, I am just very concerned.
I would like to see a reduction in dumb penalties. I don't care if they don't score. Gase has gone on record saying that he is keeping the play calling very limited. I don't see that changing this week. Therefore, I highly expect that there will be little scoring.

In 2015, when Philbin got axed, Tannehill went 15-19 for 145 and a TD in game 3 vs Atlanta. Yeah I looked it up, mainly because i always remember the 1st team offense balling every game in preseason that year. Ever since then i've been convinced what so many were already preaching - preseason means squat, at least for entrenched starters.

I believe winning in preseason can definitely set the tone for the season especially for the rookies etc. Sure the celebrial approach Gase is using has some common logic to it for sure but sports are a game of emotion and muscle memory. Winning creates confidence and confidence creates sucess. You practice a winning play over and over again and you create muscle memory to perfect that play.

The life of a Dolphins fan.

July - Hell fn yeah football is back, training camp and preseason, Rock On!!!!

August - Things aren't looking up to par, Eh it's just practice and preseason is meaningless, ugh can we just start the season.

September-........

Yep, Pat's fans get it all. July, August, Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec., And January, with February sprinkled in there.
But we fans get multiple holding penalties that kill points, this 0 TD's for starters.
The life of a Dolphins fan indeed.

The only thing I care about in preseason is injuries. Nothing else matters. So far so good.

Though I Don't 100% agree with that, as If i am Gase, I do want to see success from my QB, O-LINE, and see some consistancy from my Defense...I do agree by far the most important part of this coming weeks game will be coming out of it with no major injuries.

I thought it was obvious Gase was showing nothing in the red zone.

Thought they looked pretty good at Carolina, but stopped watching when Osweiller got in.

Didn't know Baltimore tried to win preseason games. Hate those guys. Hope they feel our speed without showing them anything. Injuries always a concern when we play them.

Should be a good experience, hope we cut it loose and embarrass those meatheads. I will watch Jackson, though...

In 2015, when Philbin got axed, Tannehill went 15-19 for 145 and a TD in game 3 vs Atlanta. Yeah I looked it up, mainly because i always remember the 1st team offense balling every game in preseason that year. Ever since then i've been convinced what so many were already preaching - preseason means squat, at least for entrenched starters.

I remember that. Offense looked super energized and in sync, ready for anything. The third preseason theory was gold. Then the past couple of years and especially last year it looked like just another preseason game. I remember posting after that game that the dress rehearsal notion was not being applied. We had very little energy or concern.

This time I would anticipate more zest. The Dolphins are 0-2. Preseason or not, there is pride involved and players want bottom line validation. The situational aspects do apply, to some extent. We are a road team coming off a loss. Normally that lends to increased motivation.

The life of a Dolphins fan.

July - Hell fn yeah football is back, training camp and preseason, Rock On!!!!

August - Things aren't looking up to par, Eh it's just practice and preseason is meaningless, ugh can we just start the season.

September-........

September: way too early mock draft...

An interesting thing to note is that Baltimore has not lost a preseason game since 2015. I don't know what's happened in the last couple of years, but John Harbaugh has apparently decided that he's playing to win these things. 10 straight wins for them in the preseason, and a bunch of them were absolute blowouts. Interested to see if they come out hot on Monday night, too.
Interesting strategy, they clearly want their players used to winning

I believe winning in preseason can definitely set the tone for the season especially for the rookies etc. Sure the celebrial approach Gase is using has some common logic to it for sure but sports are a game of emotion and muscle memory. Winning creates confidence and confidence creates sucess. You practice a winning play over and over again and you create muscle memory to perfect that play.

It's hard to argue with this logic, it makes perfect sense. It just doesn't seem like the NFL got the message going by actual events.

Only thing I'd add RE: Baltimore is that they play Monday night(!) for their week 2 game, and will then be turning around to play us on Saturday. If their starters get extended playing time on Monday night, that could absolutely impact their energy level on Saturday.
Hate to say this but last year during the regular season Baltimore destroyed us on Thursday night with 3/4 days rest.

Back
Top Bottom