3rd Round Jerome Baker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tay0365, Apr 27, 2018.

1. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Seems Miami wants to have Hybrid athletic LBs over powerful, can take on blockers. He does seem to show some good potential, but he does need to show a bit more quicker instincts...greats athleticism though....

2. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Not thrilled with this pick but.....

3. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

This team needed speed at the second level and this kid has that in spades. He ran a 4.37 forty. He's built like a safety, but he was brought in to be a nickel linebacker I believe.

4. yolli71

yolli71 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Very disappointed.

DefensiveEnd76 likes this.
  5. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

We'll see...certainly good in coverage, so 3rd downs should be a given( along with ST's duties).

6. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Was 2/2 in excitement in Miami picks and then this one....eh I knew it wouldn’t last long.

Zildjianz, EFWilson and jcork_NJ like this.
  7. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Not real excited about this pick. He doesnt even look like a LB. He looks like an average DB.

8. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

Great tackler, FAST. We missed so many tackles last year and were one of the slowest defenses in the league, so he helps with that.

Still need another guy at DT to help against the run, but it's obvious we wanted more speed at defense this year and we got it with Fitz and Baker.

9. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

People hate Kiko - we draft kikos coverage replacement - people hate the pick

I don’t get it

10. jcork_NJ

jcork_NJ Scout Team

Highly disappointed in this pick. Hope to eat crow but just don’t see how he was worth this pick.

11. SwAyWithSkill

SwAyWithSkill New Member

Should have drafted Griffin.... watched him play all season and MAN, he is the real deal!

12. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I'm not overly excited either, think they wanted Warner who went just prior. I would have rather taken a DT here, as there were still 2-3 really good ones left.

I thought we needed a SAM backer and this guy is def weakside?

I actually don't know how were going to stop the run this year...hope we grab a run stuffing DT next pick.

Travis34 likes this.
  13. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Andy, I wasn't at first but I'm very happy now. We didn't get the LBer at #11 and the need was great but, this player is great. He was a teammate of Rakeem McMillan and McMillan raves about him as a team mate and he's been compared by experts to Sean Lee. This kid can stick sideline to sideline with backs and TE with ease. I saw some tape of him blitzing, holy moley, major quicks to the QB and POW!!!!!!!!!!!!! A weakness at LBer is now a strength and we can stop getting burned by every back and TE that plays organized Football!

The draft is an A+ so far imo

14. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

We need more DTs for sure but with all these speedy LBers along with McMillan playing closer to scrimmage I think we'll be way better against the run. This is a team we're building now and not a bunch of overpaid freelancers. A big part of stopping the run is Coaching and we have a few very good ones on that side of the ball.

Ray R likes this.
  15. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Finheaven VIP Donator

16. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

What was one of the biggest problems on D last year? Nickel defense. Jereome Baker fills that void. Good pick. Super fast & can tackle. Preferred Lorenzo Carter, but Baker is a solid pick.

17. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Also in the not thrilled camp, but I guess he is here to develop into a coverage LB. Maybe we can snag a run stuffer like Genard Avery, or someone else on day 3.

I wish we would've tried to trade back with that 3rd, and picked up Harrison Philips instead... how he lasted until the end of the 3rd is nuts

18. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I'm not sure how I feel about the Jerome Baker pick because after reading up about him I read where he gave up three touchdowns in each of the last two seasons in coverage. I don't know how to interpret that perhaps that means he's not good in coverage downfield which might mean covering tight ends? they also ranked him very highly as an efficient tackler, ranking 24th in the nation in Tackle efficiency, that may mean he's better at plays in front of him? and covering the flat; but there is some concern about this guy's coverage down field?

19. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Meh. But those first 2 picks I have zero issues with. I would love to see a possible double up at TE or a Guard. I understand the defensive issues, I just want some competition and a more complete picture on offense.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  20. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I love this draft.

Fitzpatrick/Gesicki/Baker have all been in my top 2 or 3 best possible selections at each spot.

Last year = no LBs

This year = 2 Ohio State LBs.

I know what im getting and im thrilled.

Gesicki is the rare Penn Stater that i actually coveted. The Penn State thing is the only thing that broke the tie with Goedert and had me preferring Dallas.

I've loved Minkah since his freshman year.

21. Laser13

Laser13 Well-Known Member

Yep, spot on and exactly that.

He is a highly athletic kid with sideline-to-sideline speed, and can stick to tight ends in coverage. Baker’s been projected as a great fit as a Will linebacker in a 4-3 defense by a lot of the major scouts and pundits out there. Not really seeing the downside here.

I like the pick, and see what they’re doing. I friggin’ LOVE this Dolphins draft!

22. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Finheaven VIP Donator

23. Hoot

Hoot Keeper of the Old Code Finheaven VIP

Our typical understanding of LB units and the need for a big strong SAM is fading in the NFL. McMillan is our biggest starting LB and I felt he was small. But the wave is continuing for teams to run multiple small/fast LBs who can cover. Burke and company have repeatedly said they want our LBs to be able to move around and play different spots. To me, that means traditional SAM role isn't as important for a bulk of the time. They want speed, coverage, and smart ball players. Baker fits that mold. Unfortunately, I do anticipate some clips of Baker being run over or simply not being able to secure a tackle in his rookie year. His size is going to hurt him at times in the run game. But I am interesting in seeing him and his "mentor" McMillan getting to play together. I love it when teammates get to keep rolling together on the pro level.

24. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Of course.. You are a Miami Dolphins fan. But you are excited for 2 draft picks who have yet to play a down in the NFL and not excited about a 3rd rd pick with potential who also happen to play 0 NFL plays.

25. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Another weak undersized LB who is going to get trampled in the NFL. Not impressed at all with the Baker pick.

WaxOn WaxOff likes this.
  26. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Go watch Raekwon highlights. You see Baker flash in so many of those plays that you think it's supposed to be his highlight video.

If we can still get Shaquem Griffin and a lineman (D or O) that can make the team, I'll be doing cartwheels over this draft. Friggin home run.

27. DefensiveEnd76

Look at the undersized guys we have at LB. Mike Hull (232 pounds), Baker (229), Alonso (233), Garvin (230). We need more 245-250 pounders who can run.

28. DefensiveEnd76

Typical Dolphins. Always settling for second best.

29. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I don't know the player, I see the stats and such. But this looks like a response to the Michel pick by NE.

30. Retro_Marlins

Retro_Marlins Well-Known Member

I thought we were happy with Mike Hull?

Ray R likes this.
  31. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

as what?

32. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

because first best would have been...?

tazthenomad, Danny68 and Wishfishin like this.
  33. Retro_Marlins

Retro_Marlins Well-Known Member

So what happens now, we salary dump Alonso for a 6th round pick?

34. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

Look at the size of any other 4-3 team's linebackers and you will find the same thing. I doubt you will have to worry about the size of Mike Hull anymore. He will likely be cut.

35. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

I like the pick. Obviously big athletic uptick. Kid seems smart and focused. And in the minimal video I saw he does play like an instinctive player (which is huge coupled with his speed)!

Ray R, cullenbigcstill and Laser13 like this.
  36. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This was an excellent pick. It was obvious what type of linebacker they were looking at outside of the chance at Roquan Smith. Darius Leonard, Fred Warner, Jerome Baker.... They're all in the same mold. Those were the guys they were targeting in this range. He's the one who fell.

They wanted a guy who can cover. Someone who can replace Kiko in the nickel package. Isn't that something we all screamed and cursed about in the game threads every week for the past two seasons? You'd think people would be more thrilled about that.

Tight ends and running backs have killed this team. Between Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker we are going to be a lot better at avoiding those headaches so much. We will actually have a shot at getting off the field on third and long. Look at how offenses have shifted, and how tight ends and running backs are being used in the passing game now. It's one of the reasons why we moved on from Ajayi. You NEED linebackers who are fast, athletic, and can cover. That's Jerome Baker.

I have no issues with this pick. Had they taken him over Leonard, then fine. But with what was remaining on the board, from a need AND value standpoint.... I am fine with this pick.

37. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

He will be helpful against teams that throw to the TE and RBs.
    Like NE.
    Against the run oriented teams, hopefully he will work in randem with R McM.
    Team defense.

38. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

I completely agree!

I think that this is a solid draft for Miami. Maybe not next season but definitely after next season we should be dominating the east.

Ray R likes this.
  39. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Baker wasn't even on my radar. Yet another sweet 3rd rd. prospect in back to back years.

Ray R likes this.
  40. dade

dade Well-Known Member

Anyone complain about him being 6'1 228, there's telvin Smith from the the Jaguars, Myles jack from the Jaguars, Dion Jones from the Falcons, lavonte David, ryan shazier, are all under 6'2 230 pounds and all have had good careers. The same crap was said about them and in the right system they all flourished.

I cant remember the last buckeye lb to not be good..any thoughts ..jelani Jenkins had that one good year for us and I thought he was gonna be very good, but he could never stay healthy .if baker has a rookie season anywhere close to that it's a great pick.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018