3rd Round Jerome Baker | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Round Jerome Baker

Look at the undersized guys we have at LB. Mike Hull (232 pounds), Baker (229), Alonso (233), Garvin (230). We need more 245-250 pounders who can run.

Look at the size of any other 4-3 team's linebackers and you will find the same thing. I doubt you will have to worry about the size of Mike Hull anymore. He will likely be cut.

I like the pick. Obviously big athletic uptick. Kid seems smart and focused. And in the minimal video I saw he does play like an instinctive player (which is huge coupled with his speed)!

This was an excellent pick. It was obvious what type of linebacker they were looking at outside of the chance at Roquan Smith. Darius Leonard, Fred Warner, Jerome Baker.... They're all in the same mold. Those were the guys they were targeting in this range. He's the one who fell.

They wanted a guy who can cover. Someone who can replace Kiko in the nickel package. Isn't that something we all screamed and cursed about in the game threads every week for the past two seasons? You'd think people would be more thrilled about that.

Tight ends and running backs have killed this team. Between Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker we are going to be a lot better at avoiding those headaches so much. We will actually have a shot at getting off the field on third and long. Look at how offenses have shifted, and how tight ends and running backs are being used in the passing game now. It's one of the reasons why we moved on from Ajayi. You NEED linebackers who are fast, athletic, and can cover. That's Jerome Baker.

I have no issues with this pick. Had they taken him over Leonard, then fine. But with what was remaining on the board, from a need AND value standpoint.... I am fine with this pick.

This was an excellent pick. It was obvious what type of linebacker they were looking at outside of the chance at Roquan Smith. Darius Leonard, Fred Warner, Jerome Baker.... They're all in the same mold. Those were the guys they were targeting in this range. He's the one who fell.

They wanted a guy who can cover. Someone who can replace Kiko in the nickel package. Isn't that something we all screamed and cursed about in the game threads every week for the past two seasons? You'd think people would be more thrilled about that.

Tight ends and running backs have killed this team. Between Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker we are going to be a lot better at avoiding those headaches so much. We will actually have a shot at getting off the field on third and long. Look at how offenses have shifted, and how tight ends and running backs are being used in the passing game now. It's one of the reasons why we moved on from Ajayi. You NEED linebackers who are fast, athletic, and can cover. That's Jerome Baker.

I have no issues with this pick. Had they taken him over Leonard, then fine. But with what was remaining on the board, from a need AND value standpoint.... I am fine with this pick.

I completely agree!

I think that this is a solid draft for Miami. Maybe not next season but definitely after next season we should be dominating the east.

Baker wasn't even on my radar. Yet another sweet 3rd rd. prospect in back to back years.

Anyone complain about him being 6'1 228, there's telvin Smith from the the Jaguars, Myles jack from the Jaguars, Dion Jones from the Falcons, lavonte David, ryan shazier, are all under 6'2 230 pounds and all have had good careers. The same crap was said about them and in the right system they all flourished.

I cant remember the last buckeye lb to not be good..any thoughts ..jelani Jenkins had that one good year for us and I thought he was gonna be very good, but he could never stay healthy .if baker has a rookie season anywhere close to that it's a great pick.

Last edited:
I am not going to say I am on the fence, because I am intrigued with his great speed and being pretty clean when it came to tackling, but two things make me a little nervous in the NFL.

That time of 4.53 at 229, when he is thought to be in the 4.3 - 4.4 range, and the 2nd thing is, how good are his instincts. I absolutely agree that speed kills, but if he is continually taking wrong steps, his speed will not help him as much as it should, and he really can't rely in the D-line to continually keep him clean. Right now I am not as down as some, and not as high as I was with two 1st two picks. We will see, hoping he can succeed, because I do love that type of speed at LB.

Andy, I wasn't at first but I'm very happy now. We didn't get the LBer at #11 and the need was great but, this player is great. He was a teammate of Rakeem McMillan and McMillan raves about him as a team mate and he's been compared by experts to Sean Lee. This kid can stick sideline to sideline with backs and TE with ease. I saw some tape of him blitzing, holy moley, major quicks to the QB and POW!!!!!!!!!!!!! A weakness at LBer is now a strength and we can stop getting burned by every back and TE that plays organized Football!

The draft is an A+ so far imo
Raekwon?

i do not hate the pick. I just do not see anything more than a situational player. hope he evolves and proves me wrong

Back
Top Bottom