72 dolphins vs 03 pats | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

72 dolphins vs 03 pats

IMO when you talk about the best teams in the history of the NFL you have to start with 72 Dolphins, going undefeated in a season is unheard of and I cant seeing it happening ever again I dont care what the winning % of the teams they played it dosent matter we all know how easy it is to lose a game in the NFL. I am just happy we won this year and look forward to trying and defend it next year. :)

Originally posted by pats4life
IMO when you talk about the best teams in the history of the NFL you have to start with 72 Dolphins, going undefeated in a season is unheard of and I cant seeing it happening ever again I dont care what the winning % of the teams they played it dosent matter we all know how easy it is to lose a game in the NFL. I am just happy we won this year and look forward to trying and defend it next year. :)

Well that's the spirit and the sign of a good sport.

Another thing about the schedule of the 72 fins, remember they were also in the superbowl against Dallas in 71 so the 72 schedule SHOULD have been one deserving of a superbowl contender.

I never saw the 72 Dolphins play, so I can't comment on them, but the 85 Bears are the most dominating team I've ever seen play.

Originally posted by tylaw4president
I never saw the 72 Dolphins play, so I can't comment on them, but the 85 Bears are the most dominating team I've ever seen play.

The most obvious difference between the 85 Bears and the 72 Dolphins is the Dolphins were unbeatable.

That 72 team rarley punted, rarley passed the ball "avg." 12 passes per game by design!! Their avg. drive was 70 yds. Consider that...70 yd. drives are clock killers, they do not allow the opposition much time to do anything when they have the ball.

72 Phins Offense was BRUTLE, they were to the NFL what "Genghis khan" was to 15th century China and Asia.

As it was stated they also had the #1 rated defense.

If you were a fan of dominate football you need look no further than the Phins of 72-73

Originally posted by PatsFanTX

Yep, they were perfect against teams with a combined winning percentage of .327, by far, the lowest in NFL history.

This is true and the Pats were NOT perfect because they lost to teams with a combined % of 34.3.........................definitle teams they SHOULD have beated. so spin all ya want, nobody said the pats weren't deserving and NO belongs in the same sentence with the 72 Fins until THEY go undeafeated, no matter how schiddy their oponents were. at least the Fins beat all of theirs while the Pats did not. ;)

we didn't pick the schedule, don't fault the dolphins for that... they played everyone they were told to play, and ran the table in the playoffs too... unbelievable accomplishment which hasnt been matched in a league where expansion has dwindled talent and made schedules easier some years.

Common sense has to be applied to this guys. Patriots have faster receivers that miami's defensive backs couldn't keep up with. Bigger offensive lineman that would easily dominate our defensive line. The list goes on, nick bounoconti would look like an 8 year old in the field. Did I say that the pats would rape miami badly.

Common sense has to be applied to this guys. Patriots have faster receivers that miami's defensive backs couldn't keep up with. Bigger offensive lineman that would easily dominate our defensive line. The list goes on, nick bounoconti would look like an 8 year old in the field. Did I say that the pats would rape miami badly.

So you`re saying the pats would run over the `72 phins, although they couldn`t do that against the anemic `03 phins
:rolleyes:

you must be kidding or you just don`t know what you are talking about

Originally posted by Phin19

So you`re saying the pats would run over the `72 phins, although they couldn`t do that against the anemic `03 phins
:rolleyes:

you must be kidding or you just don`t know what you are talking about

If pressed... I would never admit it but it's true. Todays sorriest teams just might be able to beat the 72 team consistantly, and that includes the great teams of Pittsburg too. All pro guard Larry little a converted fullback from San Deago weighed 260 lbs. Nick Bounacotti weighed 220lbs Larry Csonka 240-250 depending on whos scale you used. Manny fernandez 245.

Old school... a three hundred pound football player would be considered a fat lazy undisciplined person and would not have been allowed to set foot on a Don Shula coached practice field let alone a game.

Times have changed. That's why i'm so supprised that theat computer game had the 72 phins coming out on top.

Originally posted by juniorseau55

Nick Buoniconti was pretty much the same size as Zach Thomas is today. Hell, he was as big as guys like Ian Gold, Barrett Green. Larry Csonka was listed at 237 lbs but most say he was closer to 260 on gameday. Surely that size would translate today. Paul Warfield's size would still be big enough.

One thing you must consider is the fact that many players back then could have trained today and gotten bigger than they were.

Alot of today's teams could beat up on the old greats. But to be fair, today's teams wouldn't translate to be as big as they are today. Guys are blown up to play football. Look at Brad Culpepper. He played between 285-295 lbs his entire career with the Bucs and Bears. One year later, he's a 190 lb lawyer at Morgan, Colling, and Gilbert. So it's not as if those guys were as big as they could have possibly gotten.

And there's always the mental side of the game. Those Dolphins just didn't make mental mistakes, period. Execution, execution, execution.

Finally, I'd put Shula/Arnsparger up against anyone.

Originally posted by Muck

Nick Buoniconti was pretty much the same size as Zach Thomas is today. Hell, he was as big as guys like Ian Gold, Barrett Green. Larry Csonka was listed at 237 lbs but most say he was closer to 260 on gameday. Surely that size would translate today. Paul Warfield's size would still be big enough.

One thing you must consider is the fact that many players back then could have trained today and gotten bigger than they were.

Alot of today's teams could beat up on the old greats. But to be fair, today's teams wouldn't translate to be as big as they are today. Guys are blown up to play football. Look at Brad Culpepper. He played between 285-295 lbs his entire career with the Bucs and Bears. One year later, he's a 190 lb lawyer at Morgan, Colling, and Gilbert. So it's not as if those guys were as big as they could have possibly gotten.

And there's always the mental side of the game. Those Dolphins just didn't make mental mistakes, period. Execution, execution, execution.

Finally, I'd put Shula/Arnsparger up against anyone.

Thanks Muck for snatching me back to my senses.:lol: There for a moment I was relying on logic to form my answers. Sometimes logic sucks!

NO ONE WILL EVER BEAT THE DOLPHINS!

That's a fact

Originally posted by themole

If pressed... I would never admit it but it's true. Todays sorriest teams just might be able to beat the 72 team consistantly, and that includes the great teams of Pittsburg too. All pro guard Larry little a converted fullback from San Deago weighed 260 lbs. Nick Bounacotti weighed 220lbs Larry Csonka 240-250 depending on whos scale you used. Manny fernandez 245.

Old school... a three hundred pound football player would be considered a fat lazy undisciplined person and would not have been allowed to set foot on a Don Shula coached practice field let alone a game.

Times have changed. That's why i'm so supprised that theat computer game had the 72 phins coming out on top.

This is true but it's just a matter of a diffence in the times.
The guys today are on average bigger and faster. Take todays 320 lb LT and place him along side a 1970 LT and have a looksee. Todays athletes are far more conditioned, with chiseled bodies and such. Anyway, I think all this computer "regeneration" really is not necessarily a true comparison but rather just another form of entertainment.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

This is true but it's just a matter of a diffence in the times.
The guys today are on average bigger and faster. Take todays 320 lb LT and place him along side a 1970 LT and have a looksee. Todays athletes are far more conditioned, with chiseled bodies and such. Anyway, I think all this computer "regeneration" really is not necessarily a true comparison but rather just another form of entertainment.

Entertainment...and that's all it is.

Iv'e been up in arms with these computer replays since the Sabol boys pitted the 72 phins against the 74-75 steelers and deemed us losers. It's just entertainment, but it was huge slap in the face to the Dolphins and us the fans don't you agree. Think how much that dissed the 72 fins by doing that. Back then everyone knew a computer couldn't be wrong! Right? WRONG!!!

One more thing...did I tell you how much I despised those Dicklipped Sabol boys for trying that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom