$9 Million reasons to say YES! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

$9 Million reasons to say YES!

raving said:
Here is my opinion on the Ricky situation. Saban is serious - VERY SERIOUS. People LOVE to disparage Ricky as some ignorant - stupid human being with a drug problem. No he is not. Ricky is highly intelligent. He is highly eccentric. He is somewhat troubled, although characterologically he is of high moral character. What has Ricky not done: in any way shape or form he has not been in trouble outside the NFL with the law. He did not make a low life character move like Randy McMichael and strike is six month pregnant wife - which by the way involved the police entering McMichael's residence and arresting him on the spot. I am aware Dolfans (me too) cheer for Randy. So while it may true that Ricky's infraction was a "greater" football infraction - I believe Saban understands that if Saban can accept Randy (who behaved violently against the mother of his unborn child) he can accept Ricky.

Sorry, but Saban don't give a hoot what the fan base wants or does not want today. Saban is banking on winning and everyone loves a winner. And if he loses we are all gonna hate him anyhow - just like many of us strongly dislike Wanny.

What Saban is doing is right on. Get Ricky. If he can play. And he can play. Saban believes that he can get under his hood and help him tick and I think he may just be right. Saban's gotta a GREAT sell. Even if the Dolphins pay him minimum with insentives - which is say 500,000 - Ricky is actually making $9,000,000. The 8 and a half is forgiven. 500,000 is chump change.

Now Saban has several backs already and will acquire another. Ricky is suspended for 4 games so Nick and Ricky can get acquainted with zero pressure. Game 5 we have already been through a quarter of the season in which our player development should help us to be a vastly improved and improving team. Along comes Ricky slowly and steadily. If it works, which I think if anyone can do it Nick can do it, we are all golden.

Nick can tell Ricky - come back - you automatically make 9,000,000. Get some therapy - I know three or four of the best in town - focus for a year with me and let me ressurect you into the greatest back in history - in two to three years.

Face it guys that Ditka and Wanny were not good for Williams. He got screwed because he was young, eccentric and naive. But Saban baby I think so...

What you are saying here makes some sense...there is no trade value for RW, so playing is the ONLY way the Fins can recoup what has been lost by his "retirement", (which we all know was a smoke (pardon the pun) screen to avoid league troubles with his drug problem). So, "ressurecting" his career, (as you put it) is the ONLY alternative we have other than just writing the $8.6 mil off...

The problem is not what I or any other fan thinks of RWs actions, but what his teammates think of his actions...what will be the real tale of truth, is if RW can get his teammates to accept him again, and not feel that he will "fly the coop" again when it gets rough for him...

The falacy, as I see it, is that Saban is much tougher to work for than Ditka or Wanny. Will RW be able to stand his scrutiny ?? Saban is all about business and winning, not catering to a wuss (sp) like RW. He will be expected to pull his weight or get off the bus...I'd be willing to bet that there will be a clause in his upcoming contract that stipulates this and reverts back to the original arbitrators ruling if RW does not live up to his end of the bargain...I am not referring to his ability on the field, but his 100% genuine effort as a teammate of the Fins organization and playing football. I highly doubt that RW has that kind of strength in him, based on his past actions...

Don't get your hopes up too high for any production from RW...My bet is that IF any of this actually takes place, it will be strictly a vehicle for RW to avoid the ruling on the money...period....and that would mean to me that Saban will see right thru it eventually and stomp out the entire deal....JIMHO...

I honestly don't know what Ricky would be like if he came back. He's horrifically out of shape now, it would take some getting back in to form but he's spent a while out of the physical hits and all. If we got him back, I'd like to trade him -- maybe get a 2nd but that's realistic no longer...perhaps a 3rd if we're really lucky and Oakland are still *******es.

Any way you cut it Randy ended up in jail for domestic violence. The story got worse as the day went on. It was his wife and she was 6 months pregnant. He had been out drinking in bars all night. This kind of behavior is actually not all that rare in the NFL - although the fact that she was pregnant made it over the top! Many NFL
players would be in prison if it were not for the NFL - huge mamouth men get to be extra-ordinarily violent with one another and they get paid for it and cheered on for it - many get the limelight for it and so on.

What makes many NFL players tick is the experience of living so far out on an edge - violent edge. You do the math.

So I juxtapose Ricky's behaviors against say Ray Lewis or Randy McMichael or Kyle Turley or Joe Lavender or Sammy Smith or the myriad of other NFLers every year who end up in VIOLENT or drug related crime that involves the police.

I do not know the story of Ricky's father, but I bet it has to do with his father abandoning him. Ricky needs a daddy - someone to help him learn how to get life out of his gifts. Wanny was a complete incompetent and so was heart attack Ditka. Mike was over taxed and almost killed himself in NO and took Ricky on a highly negative path their. In the meantime Ricky impregnated several women I do believe which indicates a kind of acting out of some drama around fatherhood for him. Again you do the math.

SABAN baby SABAN!

Yes characterologically is a word...This is what Saban is doing out there that Dumbstadt - as so many of you have brilliantly articulated - does not, and never will - that is evaluating character. Certain types for certain positions and then create chemistry. That's what New England is ALL about. They are highly interchangeable, highly intelligent, highly focused, and highly team oriented. That makes a winner - and Saban is all about that!

Do we still draft a runningback in the later (possibly 1st round) if ricky comes back?

Fins05:NewHope said:
well if Ricky was worried to death about running 400 times......Ronnie Brown will ease that work load a bit.....

Gimme a break!! If Williams comes back we wont be drafting Brown, Cadillac or Benson, why would you have 2 top tier RB's that both want/are capable of being good starters (well Williams is a proven back), if you got Brown or anyone else they would ***** cause they arent playing.

I think "IF" Williams comes back we're gonna draft either Edwards, Smith or Rodgers. And IMO thats a great choice!

HysterikiLL said:
I honestly don't know what Ricky would be like if he came back. He's horrifically out of shape now, it would take some getting back in to form but he's spent a while out of the physical hits and all. If we got him back, I'd like to trade him -- maybe get a 2nd but that's realistic no longer...perhaps a 3rd if we're really lucky and Oakland are still *******es.

I see your point about physically, but I think he can put on his 20 - 30 LBS within time, like I guarantee he hasnt been getting the workout he had in the NFL right?? So get him back in the gym with a new attitude (which I think he already has) and he'll put on the weight.....like hell, we have a LONG time until next season and he still has all of training camp before that.

And about trading him, I cant see that happeneing cause I cant see Saban trying so hard to get him back to the team and trying to seek counselling for him and then trade him away.....it would crush Williams to have someone helping him out and then bailing on him......even though we all want to win, I cant see Saban doing that to any person!

The difference I see is the way they reacted. Mcmichael admitted he was at fault. RW blamed everyone else and continues to do so.

BTW it was Mcmichael that called the police. When they got there she claimed he had hit her. If you've ever worked with the police or courts you know that the police always arrest both parties when they can't figure out who the aggressor was. The final story was that he pushed her away as she was hitting him while he vomited in the john. Not classy, but a far cry from your depiction.

dolfan_101 said:
But who knows if he can play like he did when we loved him???

I think by mid-way in the season we'd see the old Ricky.....he's gotta have a lot of energy, he's been off for a year lol

IMO

Personally, I believe in the old adage.... winning cures everything.

I think the enormity of the SuperBowl-less Marino era, followed by the "Savior" Jimmy Johnson, the "One Player Away" and "We'll look at the film, figure out we did wrong and fix it" and "try to run the ball better" Wannstedt era and, finally, the absolute worst year in franchise history ... has brought the fan base and players to an all time low point in belief. Not belief in ability or the inevitibility of success, but in, what has become to be, the perceived right to the Holy Grail of the NFL.

We were spoiled by Don Shula. We felt every year the Lombardi Trophy was ours for the taking. And now, we are tired of everyone else's fingerprints being all over it. And, for us, there is no more shame than living in an era in which the once laughable Patriot organization has hoisted it 3 times in 4 years. A 4 year stretch in which we struggled to find the post season. It's become an unsettling dose of reality. We had it all figured out... The Perfect Season, the SuperBowls and the Greatest QB of all time.

And now, a rudderless boat with a band of refugees seeking direction to the promised land.

It's time to stop thinking we deserve the SuperBowl. It's time to start figuring out how to get there. If it means reconciling the past and welcoming a lost soul into the group.... then that's what has to be done.

But rest assured.....

Winning cures everything.

rafael said:
The difference I see is the way they reacted. Mcmichael admitted he was at fault. RW blamed everyone else and continues to do so.

BTW it was Mcmichael that called the police. When they got there she claimed he had hit her. If you've ever worked with the police or courts you know that the police always arrest both parties when they can't figure out who the aggressor was. The final story was that he pushed her away as she was hitting him while he vomited in the john. Not classy, but a far cry from your depiction.

I do not know the details - but I know this if my wife is pregnant -and she is beating on me - she would have to be threatening to kill me and even then I would simply restrain her. He was arrested for assaulting his pregnant wife. He spent time in jail. That never has happened to me and I will bet my life that it NEVER will because of my character. Randy cannot say the same!

Back
Top Bottom