A Griese thread that may get me in trouble | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Griese thread that may get me in trouble

Originally posted by FFiB

Quick "research"...9 game stretch...16TDs and 5 INTs....Jay Fiedler

If I make a research I find plenty of QBs who had 10 games stretch a la Griese's 10 game stretch.

Heck, if Fiedler can go 16 TDs with 5 INTs in a 9 game stretch I am sure I find several QBs who can go a 10 game stretch at 19-4.

After all...Jay is the worst QB ever....

Here is a number to ponder for you.

Jay's last 17 full games started:

24 TDs and 12 INTs.,....darn good rate especially when you consider that 7 of those INTs came in 2 games.

That means in 15 out of last 17 he went 23-5 in the TD/INT department....

That is impressive......no question there. Jay finds ways to win too!

Originally posted by ckparrothead
No matter what Muck it was an ill-conceived throw that could easily have resulted in a loss and everyone questioning why Fiedler would insist on staying in the game despite a broken thumb. I'm sorry, I saw the pass too, and the notion that Fiedler placed a tightly thrown spiral between four defenders in a good spot is just not a fair assessment of that throw.

Maybe it wasn't the tightest of tight. But it was a good spiral. And there was good velocity on the ball. Nothing even close to resembling a duck. And I still have to disagree on the placement. He threw it to right between 4 guys. If Mobley isn't there, it's still a very good pass. But Mobley being in front, he gambled and tried to drop it in from 27 yards away. Considering the circumstances, it was as good an opportunity as we were going to get. So Jay rightfully went for it.

It's an extremely difficult throw to make for any QB. Especially to a 5'8" WR. And I agree that it took a little luck. But I still can't say it was a bad pass. Mobley got up as high as he could. And if the ball is thrown any softer, it's likely that Mobley gets his hands together quick for the INT.

The thing is, nobody would have questioned Jay for insisting on playing with a broken thumb.......because not even Jay knew it was broken. :)

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Muck...thanks. I agree. Seeing his injury history so well put together really was what I was looking for. I agree about Jay, He's tough. But he has had several injuries that effect his time with the team or play on the field. I think that is PART of why we have struggled as an Offense during Wanny's tenure.

It's as complete as I know off the top of my head. He might have had a few more injuries (back) that I don't remember. If anybody wants to look......:)

The way I see it.
Fiedler keeps improving with each season as the starter while Griese regressed last two seasons.All the intangibles Fiedler has over Griese.

If I make a research I find plenty of QBs who had 10 games stretch a la Griese's 10 game stretch.

Heck, if Fiedler can go 16 TDs with 5 INTs in a 9 game stretch I am sure I find several QBs who can go a 10 game stretch at 19-4.

24 TDs and 12 INTs.,....darn good rate especially when you consider that 7 of those INTs came in 2 games.

Jay will be laughing while he holds up the Lombardi this year. For him to just welcome Brian with open arms along tells me what this guy is made out of..By way good stats report. So with a full training camp and a second year in Norv's system, the sky is the limit for Jay in '03..

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter what, the Dolphins are a much better team with Griese on board. I agree 100% with DOLFANMIKE.

Originally posted by Muck
My sentiments exactly, Mike. I've watched the the Denver game a thousand times. And I came away impressed.

Also, Jay played 37 of 38. But that doesn't mean he's durable. Just tough.

In 2000, he missed training camp with that hip injury, which set him WAY back. Then he tore up those shoulders 3/4 of the way thru the season. He only missed one game, but he was nowhere near 80% most of the season.

True enough, but the problems were alot deeper than that that year, about that same time our O-Line started having issues and the number of pressures and sacks increased dramatically. Jays performance did slip a bit, and some of it was due to his injury, but there were many other factors... and let's not forget this is the first time he was actually a starter, so he wasn't used to playing 16 games. Besides, looking at our Backup at the time, I would have rather had Feidler at not quite 80%

2001 was his durable year, playing every game. And he says that a reason for it was that he focused on bulking up that offseason.

Last year he messed up a hip again...missing lots of summer and training camp. Then he tore ligaments in his finger. Kept playing. Then broke the thumb. Then had tendonitis in the elbow the rest of the year.

Well... he was doing pretty damned good with that messed up hip and the torn finger ligiments. In fact with those injuries people were talking probowl considering how good he was playing, so you can't knock those, they sure werent hurting his performance.

Everybody gets hurt. But he gets hurt more often. He's one of the toughest QBs out there. But we need him healthy. He has said that he's going to be like the '00/'01 offseason and focus on bulking up again this time around.

Sorry, but I don't see him getting hurt more often... other QB's get dings and dents just as often as Jay, and considering how physical Jay plays it's a testiment to his durability and toughness that he's able to keep performing at such a high level.

Brian isn't the picture of health either. His shoulders get hurt every year with similar injuries.

Agreed, just like nearly every other QB in the game.

Well maybe between the two of them we can actually get through the season,and if the rest of the teams stays healthy,then we can count on a superbowl!!ALRIGHT MIAMI,YEAH BABY!

Come on FFIB no one here says Jay is the worst QB ever.

Some of us simply state that we feel he is an avg. QB.
A QB capable of leading a STACKED team like the Fins to a Super Bowl just like Jim Mcmahon or Trent Dilfer did. Some feel that the Fins have a history that deserves a great QB and not an avg. one so some of us would like to see someone with more potential to step into the role in the upcoming years.

Mike was simply stating what he saw on gamefilm and most here have appreciated it. You are the only one who has started to carry the "Fiedler bashing" flag into this. I figured we were over all that but I guess not. We have 2 QB's now that can get the job done. That is good news. Time will tell where Jay ends up.
Personally, I think he's out the door next year regardless of how we finish. Jay won't win us a super bowl, our defense, and Ricky Williams will if it happens.

Originally posted by Barbarian

In fact with those injuries people were talking probowl considering how good he was playing, so you can't knock those, they sure werent hurting his performance.

Ummm, the ONLY place I heard or saw talk of Jay Fiedler going to the probowl was here on this site. :rolleyes:

Quick research....

9 game stretch

Fiedler 9 TD's 15 interceptions awful dang bad.

There have been numerous threads touting stats on this subject.
Stats can be maniulated in a hundred different ways.

If jay gets hurt agian this year than i totally agree that he should get dumped.. and if he wins the SB i think we should restructure both of their contracts if possible..

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Quick research....

9 game stretch

Fiedler 9 TD's 15 interceptions awful dang bad.

There have been numerous threads touting stats on this subject.
Stats can be maniulated in a hundred different ways.

Yep...but my search was initiated on that "touting" that it will be hard to find any QB with a 10 game stretch as Brian had in 2000. As a matter of fact .. it was noted that it was the best 10 game stretch ever by a QB.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Come on FFIB no one here says Jay is the worst QB ever.

Some of us simply state that we feel he is an avg. QB.
A QB capable of leading a STACKED team like the Fins to a Super Bowl just like Jim Mcmahon or Trent Dilfer did. Some feel that the Fins have a history that deserves a great QB and not an avg. one so some of us would like to see someone with more potential to step into the role in the upcoming years.

Mike was simply stating what he saw on gamefilm and most here have appreciated it. You are the only one who has started to carry the "Fiedler bashing" flag into this. I figured we were over all that but I guess not. We have 2 QB's now that can get the job done. That is good news. Time will tell where Jay ends up.
Personally, I think he's out the door next year regardless of how we finish. Jay won't win us a super bowl, our defense, and Ricky Williams will if it happens.

Hey dude (or dudette),
keep my responses in line. My "quick research" post was not a response to Mike.

Originally posted by dolfans1988
If jay gets hurt agian this year than i totally agree that he should get dumped.. and if he wins the SB i think we should restructure both of their contracts if possible..

Jay can't win for losing here..Dolfinmike is speaking of one game. Denver vs Miami. I've seen a lot of other games of Grieses, while a lot of you are looking Miami, I have to settle for some other game, and a lot of the time it was Denver playing someone, if it wasn't the raven or the skins. I've been on the Jay side for a long time now, because of what I saw. Brian had a good game against us in Denver, but that wasn't the norm. More times than not, I was glad we had Jay. This is a lot for me to say, because I was one of those who wanted us to draft Brian. But his play in Denver allowed me to see the error of my thinking at the time. Glad I could learn this at some other team's expense. I still think BG is a better backup than Lucas, but I know he's not a better QB than Jay..You guys have provided all the stats, I don't have to get into that, it's the little things like leadership, toughness, , and quickly forgettin bad plays that I rate high in a QB..BG just didn't show me those things in Denver..and I saw a lot of his games. Thanks to some friends here on this board, Steve, I have a lot of Miami games on Tapes, believe me Jay plays way better overall.

Back
Top Bottom