A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations?

Michigan Mike

Club Member
Reaction score
I was just reading an article where Brian Urlacher was saying that he doesn't like Cam Newton's celebrations. While I understand his sentiment since he was a defensive player, I'm not sure he should have singled out Cam. There are many players on both sides of the ball that have over-the-top celebrations for making simple plays. I have found myself yelling at the TV many times to "shut up and get back in the huddle with your teammates" when a player makes a sack, makes a first down or an otherwise routine play. So many of these guys run away from their teammates so the cameras will only capture them and their celebration rather than the teammates celebrating with him or, in the case of overdoing it, telling him to knock it off.

I recall Walter Payton and Barry Sanders just handing the ball back to the official and joining their teammates. There were stories about how Payton, no matter how hard he got hit, he would bounce back up just to show the defensive player that it didn't phase him and then tell the QB to take his time calling the play so he can catch his breath and gather his thoughts.

What do you think? Act like you have been there before or let them continue with the celebrations?

giphy.gif

Football is fun, it is a sport, let those dudes celebrate. The last thing we need is this devolving into baseball...

[video=youtube_share;uXEkZuwRBfQ]http://youtu.be/uXEkZuwRBfQ[/video]

Brian Urlacher is a dumb guy. That's somewhat beside the point, but listening to him talk is painful.

While I appreciate the way people like Barry Sanders and Walter Payton carried themselves, it doesn't mean that's the only way to do it. I have zero issue with the way Cam celebrates.

[video=youtube;RGJb2iLvOKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE[/video]

[video=youtube;U22TPJ269ZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U22TPJ269ZY[/video]

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

To me if your team is doing their job there will be no celebration by the other team.And if the other team is doing a lot of celebrating it should motivate you to play better.

I think that I am sick to the teeth of both the bandwagon fanbase and haters of cam newton

Last edited by a moderator:
I could care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let them celebrate. Get rid of the "excessive celebration" penalties. Bring back the Icky Shuffle, Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson boogie, Mark Gastuneau's stupid sack dance etc. it fires you up if your the team on the wrong end of it. Way I look at it is if these guys don't get the next play off in time they get a delay of game penalty. Whatever they do in the meantime I'm fine with - even Brian Hartlines stupid gold putt after the 1 TD he ever scored.

I always liked this celebration from some random team in iceland

[video=youtube;qhSlH3N4T3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhSlH3N4T3s[/video]

I'm more annoyed when players whine about getting or not getting a call.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

Race has nothing to do with it, it's so silly to hear this race garbage. when mark gastineau was popularizing the sack dance(the over celebrating celebrations) was he beloved? Race has nothing to do with it and this nonsense needs to stop as far as blaming race.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Let them celebrate. Get rid of the "excessive celebration" penalties. Bring back the Icky Shuffle, Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson boogie, Mark Gastuneau's stupid sack dance etc. it fires you up if your the team on the wrong end of it. Way I look at it is if these guys don't get the next play off in time they get a delay of game penalty. Whatever they do in the meantime I'm fine with - even Brian Hartlines stupid gold putt after the 1 TD he ever scored.

White shoes, ickey, the fun bunch. I have no issues w/ those and they should legal. I loved Gastineau as a kid but for every sack to roll around on the ground, I can see why they outlawed that.

Doesn't bother me. I respect how Barry Sanders did with just hand the ball to the ref, but I also like to see Juice get excited on a big 1st down or TD. It's just who they are. The only thing that gets me is when they stop trying.

Back
Top Bottom