A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations?

Doesn't bother me. I respect how Barry Sanders did with just hand the ball to the ref, but I also like to see Juice get excited on a big 1st down or TD. It's just who they are. The only thing that gets me is when they stop trying.

the only time I have an issue w/ celebrations is when a team is losing big and a player makes a play or after a big play by the offense a D player makes a nice tackle and gets up and celebrates. Other than that who cares? it's an emotional game.

Race has nothing to do with it, it's so silly to hear this race garbage. when mark gastineau was popularizing the sack dance(the over celebrating celebrations) was he beloved? Race has nothing to do with it and this nonsense needs to stop as far as blaming race.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

White shoes, ickey, the fun bunch. I have no issues w/ those and they should legal. I loved Gastineau as a kid but for every sack to roll around on the ground, I can see why they outlawed that.
do you remember Gastuneau's sack of Woodley in the '82 title game where he was so busy dancing he didn't realize it was a strip sack? Worse for the Jets, score was 0-0 (I think) and ball was lying on ground inside Miami 5 - Ed Newman (I think) alertly fell on it but Mark had the best shot at the ball if he had been paying attention. Jets probably win if they recover and score.

Race has nothing to do with it, it's so silly to hear this race garbage. when mark gastineau was popularizing the sack dance(the over celebrating celebrations) was he beloved? Race has nothing to do with it and this nonsense needs to stop as far as blaming race.

Unfortunately you are wrong.

It's not as cut and dry as to say "race is the reason" . . . but the blanket statement of "race has nothing to do with it" is absolutely incorrect. Sorry you can't see that.

Race embodies different cultures and different personalities . . . and when that race combines with a culture/personality that personifies a stereotype that is widely believed . . . . well, then you get Cam Newton.

You can compare other players, other celebrations, etc. But this situation, this one here with Cam Newton, has plenty to do with his race, his culture/personality and the stereotype of what that combination represents.

No celebration could ever bother the kid. Ever....

Unfortunately you are wrong.

It's not as cut and dry as to say "race is the reason" . . . but the blanket statement of "race has nothing to do with it" is absolutely incorrect. Sorry you can't see that.

Race embodies different cultures and different personalities . . . and when that race combines with a culture/personality that personifies a stereotype that is widely believed . . . . well, then you get Cam Newton.

You can compare other players, other celebrations, etc. But this situation, this one here with Cam Newton, has plenty to do with his race, his culture/personality and the stereotype of what that combination represents.

I disagree and I can't stand seeing race brought into it. Tom Brady is white and despised, Russell Wilson is black and doesn't showboat and no one has issues w/ him. If New ton was white doing the same things then certain people would dislike him(sort of like Manziel, right?)

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

do you remember Gastuneau's sack of Woodley in the '82 title game where he was so busy dancing he didn't realize it was a strip sack? Worse for the Jets, score was 0-0 (I think) and ball was lying on ground inside Miami 5 - Ed Newman (I think) alertly fell on it but Mark had the best shot at the ball if he had been paying attention. Jets probably win if they recover and score.

I remember him actually recovering a fumble and then they gave the ball back to Miami for some reason. I don't recall that particular play but I now that happened a bunch.

9wszm.gif

hart-0.gif

I disagree and I can't stand seeing race brought into it. Tom Brady is white and despised, Russell Wilson is black and doesn't showboat and no one has issues w/ him. If New ton was white doing the same things then certain people would dislike him(sort of like Manziel, right?)

Manziel is just a jackazz tho, his cause for people disliking him has absolutely nothing to do with what he has accomplished on the football field . . . comparing a white Newton to Manziel would not be comparable.

Russell Wilson is the perfect example of why race isn't the "judge and jury" in this situation . . . although he still gets more than his fair share of criticism because from day one he was always considered a guy who wouldn't have "big success" in this league partly because of the ongoing stereotypes of black quarterbacks (among other things like height, weight, etc.).

Tom Brady is another bad comparison. Tom Brady has been in this league for 15 years and people did not originally hate him. But over the course of time, between the success of the Patriots, the "golden boy" talk, the ****iness that has appeared and the "gates" the Patriots have been through . . . people have grown to hate him.

Carolina is the ideal team to root for. Underdogs all year and not expected to do anything, great tradition of giving the football to kids in the crowd . . . but people can only focus on this black QB (Cam is another guy who suffered from the "black QB stereotype") and the way he parades after scoring a TD. This guy hasn't won anything for people to have such a disdain for him. Telling you if Brady was in this Super Bowl, New England would have more bandwagon fans than they have had in the last 10 years . . . . and all because of Cam Newton . . . and Tom Brady is universally considered the most hated guy in sports.

If Aaron Rodgers was QBing Carolina and had the same career path as Cam Newton and was doing his "discount double check" after scores . . . you would have people in love with Carolina.

I don't expect everybody to understand the racial undertones that go on . . . . but this situation right here is an indictment of just that. People won't fully come out and admit it, partly because they probably aren't even aware that its in motion or that they are apart of it . . . . but its there.

And I am of mixed heritage, my dad is a white German and my mom is black American . . . and I rarely get in on this type of stuff . . . but its something that I've noticed all year when people speak about Cam Newton.

Manziel is just a jackazz tho, his cause for people disliking him has absolutely nothing to do with what he has accomplished on the football field . . . comparing a white Newton to Manziel would not be comparable.

Russell Wilson is the perfect example of why race isn't the "judge and jury" in this situation . . . although he still gets more than his fair share of criticism because from day one he was always considered a guy who wouldn't have "big success" in this league partly because of the ongoing stereotypes of black quarterbacks (among other things like height, weight, etc.).

Tom Brady is another bad comparison. Tom Brady has been in this league for 15 years and people did not originally hate him. But over the course of time, between the success of the Patriots, the "golden boy" talk, the ****iness that has appeared and the "gates" the Patriots have been through . . . people have grown to hate him.

Carolina is the ideal team to root for. Underdogs all year and not expected to do anything, great tradition of giving the football to kids in the crowd . . . but people can only focus on this black QB (Cam is another guy who suffered from the "black QB stereotype") and the way he parades after scoring a TD. This guy hasn't won anything for people to have such a disdain for him. Telling you if Brady was in this Super Bowl, New England would have more bandwagon fans than they have had in the last 10 years . . . . and all because of Cam Newton . . . and Tom Brady is universally considered the most hated guy in sports.

If Aaron Rodgers was QBing Carolina and had the same career path as Cam Newton and was doing his "discount double check" after scores . . . you would have people in love with Carolina.

I don't expect everybody to understand the racial undertones that go on . . . . but this situation right here is an indictment of just that. People won't fully come out and admit it, partly because they probably aren't even aware that its in motion or that they are apart of it . . . . but its there.

And I am of mixed heritage, my dad is a white German and my mom is black American . . . and I rarely get in on this type of stuff . . . but its something that I've noticed all year when people speak about Cam Newton.

People don't focus on the black QB, they focus on the over the top celebrations and don't forget how people came to know Cam(from Auburn) so he is in a unique situation.
If NE reached the SB 90% of the Country would have been pulling for Carolina.

Remember when the Cam stuff blew up earlier this year? it was BLACK players whining about his celebrations(I think on tennessee). I just don't buy the racial aspect of this story. showboaters are usually dislike by fans that don't root for that team.

I happen to like Cam, I have defended him on here for a long time but I can see where his celebrations can rub people the wrong way.

I'm rotting for Carolina, would have been had they played Den, NE, Pitt. the only AFC teams I would have rooted for against Carolina would have been KC or Cincy.

You don't like the celebrations, then don't let them celebrate.

Lets go back and look through celebration history.

The first one to make it "a thing" and make it popular was Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. It was all fun, but it ended up spawning other celebration dances like Earnest Givens and The Fun Bunch.

billyjohnson.gif

Of course this led to celebrations on the other side of the ball. The leader of this wave was Mark Gastineau with his sack dance.

gastineau-1.gif

Of course it was inevitable that teams were going to get pissed and start fighting back against the celebrations.

fun-bunch-o.gif

Then there was the showboating that started for plays in general. Thank Primetime for this one. Every INT became a lesson in high stepping, holding the ball out with one hand and showboating.

deionsandersdance-1.gif

This then led to celebrating everything from a 3 yard run to a first down. Which now pisses people off.

d20e0d0536fbc4fe96445f4808db8a23.jpg

Moral of the story....you don't like it then stop it. Plain and simple...don't let them get a first down. Don't let them sack your QB. Don't let them score a touchdown. Don't let them get a turnover. Then you don't have to worry about them celebrating. But for the love of G-d...can we please let the players have some fun and not relegate their real celebrations to the sideline.

ickey-shuffle-o-2.gif

I like player celebrations, but obviously it depends on the player and the situation.

TO was always getting heat because of his celebrations but I thought they were pretty funny,

Steve Smith also cracked me up plenty of times.

Cam looks like a 4 year old most of the time, not a fan of his lame dancing.

I also like no celebration at all, or a very subdued type of thing. It depends, celebrating when the game is out of reach is idi0tic.

Celebrating and taunting opponents is poor sportsmanship and should not be tolerated

People don't focus on the black QB, they focus on the over the top celebrations and don't forget how people came to know Cam(from Auburn) so he is in a unique situation.
If NE reached the SB 90% of the Country would have been pulling for Carolina.

Remember when the Cam stuff blew up earlier this year? it was BLACK players whining about his celebrations(I think on tennessee). I just don't buy the racial aspect of this story. showboaters are usually dislike by fans that don't root for that team.

I happen to like Cam, I have defended him on here for a long time but I can see where his celebrations can rub people the wrong way.

I'm rotting for Carolina, would have been had they played Den, NE, Pitt. the only AFC teams I would have rooted for against Carolina would have been KC or Cincy.

I still think Carolina would of had more bandwagon fans, but I think the New England base would of been as large as its been over the last 10 years when in reality, verse a team like Carolina, it should be all Carolina bandwagon fans. Of course I am just speculating, but it is one of the reasons I wouldn't of minded New England in the Super Bowl, just to see where the stance was (the other reason being I think Carolina would of rolled over New England in front of a huge worldwide audience).

I don't remember players complaining on Cam Newton, I remember the white Tennesee mom writing a open letter about Cam Newton and "his behavior" after the 27-10 win Carolina had over the Titans . . . questioning him as a role model. We are talking Tennesee Titans here, the 5-27 Titans over the last 2 years . . . who have taken worse beatdowns from other teams over that span and I'm sure those teams had their fair share of celebrations . . . she took her time to write this open letter in regards to Cam Newton :lol:

It's whatever tho

I still think Carolina would of had more bandwagon fans, but I think the New England base would of been as large as its been over the last 10 years when in reality, verse a team like Carolina, it should be all Carolina bandwagon fans. Of course I am just speculating, but it is one of the reasons I wouldn't of minded New England in the Super Bowl, just to see where the stance was (the other reason being I think Carolina would of rolled over New England in front of a huge worldwide audience).

I don't remember players complaining on Cam Newton, I remember the white Tennesee mom writing a open letter about Cam Newton and "his behavior" after the 27-10 win Carolina had over the Titans . . . questioning him as a role model. We are talking Tennesee Titans here, the 5-27 Titans over the last 2 years . . . who have taken worse beatdowns from other teams over that span and I'm sure those teams had their fair share of celebrations . . . she took her time to write this open letter in regards to Cam Newton :lol:

It's whatever tho

I think Carolina would have killed NE too.

The letter from that whacko came after the Titans players were upset w/ the dancing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ike-my-touchdown-dances-stop-me-from-scoring/

the letter came days after this

I think Carolina would have killed NE too.

The letter from that whacko came after the Titans players were upset w/ the dancing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ike-my-touchdown-dances-stop-me-from-scoring/

the letter came days after this

Yea Cam Newton had a great game, started the game completing his first 11 passes, and had a running and passing TD. Tennesee was shut out in the 2nd half and the dancing doesn't help :lol: Goes back to my original post . . . if you don't like it, stop him . . . anybody complaining about a celebration knows what they have to do.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

White shoes, ickey, the fun bunch. I have no issues w/ those and they should legal. I loved Gastineau as a kid but for every sack to roll around on the ground, I can see why they outlawed that.

It's not that black and white. We can't say race has nothing to do with it just like can't say race is the only reason people dislike him and his celebrations

Back
Top Bottom