A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations?

Please, explain to me what is racist about this "rant" of mine? What are these generalities that you speak of?

This would be like Al Sharpton asking me why I think he's a racist.

As for Cams statement. I could careless about his color or antics. I took his statement like I took Jadas statement on the Oscars. With a shake of the head.

Don't care. Have fun as long as it doesn't hurt the team.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So you are comparing the out of the ring stuff with the celebrating on the field of Cam Newton as a reason to compare the two of them? That makes no ****ing sense I have to tell you.

I swear, people in general just think there is a black and white answer for everything in this world.

I agree, how somebody carries themselves goes a long way in determining how their legacy will be perceived, but at the same time, in this particular situation, race is playing a factor in how he is being perceived. It isn't the only reason, but it's a reason none the less.

Its a futile argument though, because people are going to believe what they are going to believe and thats it. I've had family dinners in the heart of Miami Gardens and I grew up in some of the roughest neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale, I've done musical tracks in a hotboxed studio . . . I scored a 1440 on my SATs and went to the 98% white magnet program that only the top students could qualify for . . . trust me, there is such a thing as indirect racism . . . maybe someones intent isn't to be racist . . . but the color of a person's skin may help perceive a certain stereotype about that person. Certainly mannerisms will amplify those stereotypes but those stereotypes are often triggered by race.

It's the same reason when I go to a work function that is 95% white, people who attempt to be "cool" with me bring up Obama, rap and eventually weed smoking. These are some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they are indirectly being racist because of the color of my skin . . . and thats fine . . . but lets not sit up here and say "it has nothing to do with someone being black" because that is a bunch of bull****.

I've always said one's bias is based on ones experiences.

We're talking about sports here. Not your own personal experience with indirect racism. For Cam Newton to say "I'm an African-American QB that may scare a lot of people' is unwarranted. Why does race play a role here? Because hes dancing? Are black people the only race that dance? Is "dabbing" unique to black people? I just fail to see why being black would even be brought up. It's the contestant dabbing after every TD, the superman pose every 1st down, the bench dancing around after every score that is pissing off the opposing team. To top it all off they're kicking ass while doing it. Imagine for a second the 2007 Patriots breaking every scoring and yardage record that year and seeing Tom Brady doing some ridiculous dance every time? It's bad enough they ran the score up.

My personal experiences are just an example of how people can be indirectly racist w/o not necessarily having that intent . . . it is to counter the talk that comes up that "it has nothing to do with being black".

Cam has been dealing with indirect and direct shots for years now . . it is only taking center stage now because the guy is the MVP of the league and Carolina is in the Super Bowl. He's taking the bull by the horns on this . . . not saying I necessarily agree with his approach but hell that is today's society . . . he has an open forum to speak on the stuff he's been through and by god he's gonna speak on it. Good for him.

:lol: and Good for Carolina and Cam on celebrating . . . damn team was 15-1, clearly the most dominant team in the NFL this year and didn't get proper respect until they jumped out 31-0 on Seattle . . . that team deserves to celebrate, nobody had them sniffing this spot they are in.

Listen, race plays a roll here because of what people perceive Cam Newton to be. I'm at the bar watching football games and I heard an older white gentleman say out loud "look at that Cam Newton . . . what a thug" . . . I've gotta tell you, that may as well come off as . . . look at that "n word" . . . but then the argument then becomes, I like black people, I have black friends its not about his skin color.

Truth is, we'll never know someone's true intention unless that person "slips" . . . hell the Clippers owner slipped . . . its just society man, I can't explain it any further. You can choose to feel like we live in a world where racism doesn't exist . . . thats a great place to be in, we should all be fortunate enough to live in that type of world one day.

My only problem with Cam Newton is he thinks he started the DAB.

It's not yours bro :lol:

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

My personal experiences are just an example of how people can be indirectly racist w/o not necessarily having that intent . . . it is to counter the talk that comes up that "it has nothing to do with being black".

Cam has been dealing with indirect and direct shots for years now . . it is only taking center stage now because the guy is the MVP of the league and Carolina is in the Super Bowl. He's taking the bull by the horns on this . . . not saying I necessarily agree with his approach but hell that is today's society . . . he has an open forum to speak on the stuff he's been through and by god he's gonna speak on it. Good for him.

:lol: and Good for Carolina and Cam on celebrating . . . damn team was 15-1, clearly the most dominant team in the NFL this year and didn't get proper respect until they jumped out 31-0 on Seattle . . . that team deserves to celebrate, nobody had them sniffing this spot they are in.

Listen, race plays a roll here because of what people perceive Cam Newton to be. I'm at the bar watching football games and I heard an older white gentleman say out loud "look at that Cam Newton . . . what a thug" . . . I've gotta tell you, that may as well come off as . . . look at that "n word" . . . but then the argument then becomes, I like black people, I have black friends its not about his skin color.

Truth is, we'll never know someone's true intention unless that person "slips" . . . hell the Clippers owner slipped . . . its just society man, I can't explain it any further. You can choose to feel like we live in a world where racism doesn't exist . . . thats a great place to be in, we should all be fortunate enough to live in that type of world one day.

Some old white dude called Newton a thug for dancing?

:lol:

I guess I'm old school. I like the players who act like they've been there before and just hand the ball to the officials.

Cam Newton is one of the most talented players the NFL has ever seen, but his showboating seems over-the-top to me. I think he's just making himself a bigger target for late hits, etc.

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

Please do not try and figure out what any race thinks. it just makes you look racist yourself....

I don't like his celebration because he is basically acting like he is "Superman", when I really don't think he is very good and is heavily relying upon an AWESOME defense (especially Kuechly whom we should have taken over Tannehill...) and is really acting like a complete Prima-donna...

I could give a **** about his race. There were plenty of white folks whose celebrations I hated...that freak Jets neanderthal...forget his name. And many black peoples I loved...Billy White Shoes Johnson....Icky shuffle...

This would be like Al Sharpton asking me why I think he's a racist.

As for Cams statement. I could careless about his color or antics. I took his statement like I took Jadas statement on the Oscars. With a shake of the head.

I know I derailed this thread with my view on the Cam Newton stuff, but to comment on Jada . . . not a fan of her stance, feels like she wants the Oscars to institute the Rooney Rule for movies. I'll stay away from the politics though and just end it with:

Do your thing Cam, I hate it when you do it against us but you know what, we suck and we should of stopped you . . . so if you wanna rub it in that we didn't stop you, go ahead man . . . have fun, keep giving those footballs to the kids, keep doing your off the field work and continue being an aspiration for all the kids out there.

I truly have no issue with him and how he celebrates and I honestely loved the Ocho Cinco stuff also. The only stuff I could see getting offended by is some sexual antics or some violent antics or anything of that nature.

Please do not try and figure out what any race thinks. it just makes you look racist yourself....

I don't like his celebration because he is basically acting like he is "Superman", when I really don't think he is very good and is heavily relying upon an AWESOME defense (especially Kuechly whom we should have taken over Tannehill...) and is really acting like a complete Prima-donna...

I could give a **** about his race. There were plenty of white folks whose celebrations I hated...that freak Jets neanderthal...forget his name. And many black peoples I loved...Billy White Shoes Johnson....Icky shuffle...

And that has always been the tongue and cheek stuff people use to avoid talking on this subject. I'm certainly glad I have the perspective of my father, a white man, dated my mom, a black woman, in the 70's and early 80's and had the opportunity to share with me what he went through and what she went through before they had me.

So I have the perspective of white and black in my background so it certainly doesn't make me look racist . . . truth is this is a difficult subject to speak on for many people . . . an intimidating one, and I understand.

pretty much all big time athletes will receive criticism, it comes w/ the job whether black, white or whatever. Peyton manning is a top 10 all time QB and he gets constant crap(mostly from me) about his big game failures.

we cannot forget that all the controversy about celebrating this year started w/ 2 black players complaining about it.

there are racists out there, white people that don't like black people and black people that don't like white people. that's life unfortunately but it's not the primary reason he gets crap.

watch a game in a bat when manziel plays, I bet you they call him a thug too.

Surprise teams always take a while to gain nat'l respect. when NE won it all in 2001 they were considered a fluke and Brady got no credit. it took until they won again 2 years later before people started treating them like football royalty. Respect is earned over time, they have earned it this year and can put a stamp on it next week.

I respect your opinion, you have a right to feel any way you want but I disagree with what you have posted.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

Way, way, way too broad of a conclusion. Are there white people that feel that way? Sure. Are they the majority or even close? IMO, no.

I don't get the impression that Cam embodies the hiphop culture. I see an exuberant young man with a love of the game. His work with kids is exemplary as are the gestures of giving footballs to young fans.

BTW, the issue many people (white or black) have with part of the hiphop culture is the rampant anti-social, drug, violence, and misogynistic themes in some of the music. Equating hiphop with black is racist. Not all hiphop artists are black and not all blacks like hiphop.

pretty much all big time athletes will receive criticism, it comes w/ the job whether black, white or whatever. Peyton manning is a top 10 all time QB and he gets constant crap(mostly from me) about his big game failures.

we cannot forget that all the controversy about celebrating this year started w/ 2 black players complaining about it.

there are racists out there, white people that don't like black people and black people that don't like white people. that's life unfortunately but it's not the primary reason he gets crap.

watch a game in a bat when manziel plays, I bet you they call him a thug too.

Surprise teams always take a while to gain nat'l respect. when NE won it all in 2001 they were considered a fluke and Brady got no credit. it took until they won again 2 years later before people started treating them like football royalty. Respect is earned over time, they have earned it this year and can put a stamp on it next week.

I respect your opinion, you have a right to feel any way you want but I disagree with what you have posted.

That is fair

I know I derailed this thread with my view on the Cam Newton stuff, but to comment on Jada . . . not a fan of her stance, feels like she wants the Oscars to institute the Rooney Rule for movies. I'll stay away from the politics though and just end it with:

Do your thing Cam, I hate it when you do it against us but you know what, we suck and we should of stopped you . . . so if you wanna rub it in that we didn't stop you, go ahead man . . . have fun, keep giving those footballs to the kids, keep doing your off the field work and continue being an aspiration for all the kids out there.

I truly have no issue with him and how he celebrates and I honestely loved the Ocho Cinco stuff also. The only stuff I could see getting offended by is some sexual antics or some violent antics or anything of that nature.

I have no problem with the antics. None. Even though as a Barry Sanders fan, admire that approach, especially in today's me me society or branding.

It's just that while maybe this topic has some valid points. I think Cam in using this occasion, is wrong. After all we just had a black QB play in back to back SBs and this discussion wasn't needed prior to the big game. So instead of talking football, we are talking ones bias against another's. I've been guilty of it, but I'm also not the face of a franchise looking to win their first SB. The people loving this, for the most part isn't the sports community, its the political social justice community. Which SB week shouldn't be about.

Back
Top Bottom