A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations?

Way, way, way too broad of a conclusion. Are there white people that feel that way? Sure. Are they the majority or even close? IMO, no.

I don't get the impression that Cam embodies the hiphop culture. I see an exuberant young man with a love of the game. His work with kids is exemplary as are the gestures of giving footballs to young fans.

BTW, the issue many people (white or black) have with part of the hiphop culture is the rampant anti-social, drug, violence, and misogynistic themes in some of the music. Equating hiphop with black is racist. Not all hiphop artists are black and not all blacks like hiphop.

I mean have you seen his dances? He Hit the Folks on em real quick . . . he's definitely into hiphop. He's with Young Jeezy and Future on the sidelines of the championship game taking pictures . . . its pretty clear that Cam Newton is into hip hop.

Keep in mind, Hip Hop is culture that was evolved by black people and how black people lived. It is a great thing to see white artists/people becoming so prevelant into today's hip hop culture . . . but make no mistake about it the hiphop stereotype definitely goes hand in hand with black culture in general. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to be politically correct about everything because I know this is a touchy subject . . . I realize there are plenty of exceptions, we are just speaking in general.

I guess I forgot to mention I'm referring to the criticism within the league. We all know racism is alive in well and there's always gonna be racist idiots out there shouting "thug" or whatever. Let's just agree to disagree and hope for a competitive SB unlike the Broncos last trip to the SB

Edit: I liked Newtons original stance better "don't like it then don't let me in" rather than "oh it's because I'm black"

I mean have you seen his dances? He Hit the Folks on em real quick . . . he's definitely into hiphop. He's with Young Jeezy and Future on the sidelines of the championship game taking pictures . . . its pretty clear that Cam Newton is into hip hop.

Keep in mind, Hip Hop is culture that was evolved by black people and how black people lived. It is a great thing to see white artists/people becoming so prevelant into today's hip hop culture . . . but make no mistake about it the hiphop stereotype definitely goes hand in hand with black culture in general. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to be politically correct about everything because I know this is a touchy subject . . . I realize there are plenty of exceptions, we are just speaking in general.

There is a difference between enjoying a style of music and embodying a culture.

One of my favorite styles of music is the Blues. Nobody would claim I embody the blues culture.

If its something epic & spectacular then Celebrate away. Otherwise, act like you have been there & done that a 1000 times before.

If its something epic & spectacular then Celebrate away. Otherwise, act like you have been there & done that a 1000 times before.

Football is fun, it is a sport, let those dudes celebrate. The last thing we need is this devolving into baseball...

Funny? As the NFL is slowly devolving into the nba or as a buddy & I call it... the hip hop league

There is a difference between enjoying a "style of music" and embodying a culture.

One of my favorite styles of music is the Blues. Nobody would claim I embody the blues culture.

Winner. Winner. Chicken Dinner. A bumper sticker I once saw Eloquently stated... " Rap is poetry for pea brains"

Funny? As the NFL is slowly devolving into the nba or as a buddy & I call it... the hip hop league

Winner. Winner. Chicken Dinner. A bumper sticker I once saw Eloquently stated... " Rap is poetry for pea brains"

Then I guess you don't listen to hip hop.

Celebrate away.

You're telling me that most of you, when watching a game with buddies who might be fans of the opposing team, just get up and quietly go get another beer when the Dolphins score? I mean surely you don't jump up and down with excitement, letting out a few "F*ck yeah!!!" comments. Just quietly stand up and go to the fridge.

Celebrating an accomplishment is human nature. Just some people celebrate differently than others. I'm not a huge fan of Cam Newton's but I have no problem with his celebrations.

I think the NFL has gone way too far in penalizing this stuff, and it's ridiculous. I love celebrations. One of the best out of play things I've ever seen at an NFL game was Terrell Owens dancing on the Dallas Star and then getting blown up by Roy Williams (I think?) the second time he tried to do it.

But on the other hand, I understand why the NFL went so far in the other direction, and the truth is that the players have no one to blame for it but themselves. While I wasn't mortified by Randy Moss wiping his ass on a goalpost the way Joe Buck was, it was still the sort of completely ridiculous stupid garbage that gets you these rules in the first place. Gotta know when to know better.

That said, they desperately need to get rid of the 'group celebration' ban. If a runner scores and wants to dance with his linemen, then dammit, that ought to be celebrated. Let the big guys have some fun and show off a little.

My only other comment is that to go along with excessive celebration penalties, the NFL should also have excessive whining penalties. Gronkowski going ape**** in the end zone for a pass interference call during the AFC Championship game was just the latest in a long line of pitiful behavior on the part of players who came up short and desperately wanted a bailout on account of the fact that they are just too cool and great and awesome to lose.

I think the NFL has gone way too far in penalizing this stuff, and it's ridiculous. I love celebrations. One of the best out of play things I've ever seen at an NFL game was Terrell Owens dancing on the Dallas Star and then getting blown up by Roy Williams (I think?) the second time he tried to do it.

But on the other hand, I understand why the NFL went so far in the other direction, and the truth is that the players have no one to blame for it but themselves. While I wasn't mortified by Randy Moss wiping his ass on a goalpost the way Joe Buck was, it was still the sort of completely ridiculous stupid garbage that gets you these rules in the first place. Gotta know when to know better.

That said, they desperately need to get rid of the 'group celebration' ban. If a runner scores and wants to dance with his linemen, then dammit, that ought to be celebrated. Let the big guys have some fun and show off a little.

My only other comment is that to go along with excessive celebration penalties, the NFL should also have excessive whining penalties. Gronkowski going ape**** in the end zone for a pass interference call during the AFC Championship game was just the latest in a long line of pitiful behavior on the part of players who came up short and desperately wanted a bailout on account of the fact that they are just too cool and great and awesome to lose.

George Teague. :up:

I remember that well. Funny ****. Teague played for us later in his career. I also remember him b/c he was the 'bama bastard who stripped Lamar Thomas.

200% agree. Watching Harbaugh spin around like an idiot pleading for an inference call was shameful to watch. It should be equated to excessive diving in soccer which can get you a yellow/red card

Illegal whinning. Instead of a flag the refs toss a pacifier :chuckle:

200% agree. Watching Harbaugh spin around like an idiot pleading for an inference call was shameful to watch. It should be equated to excessive diving in soccer which can get you a yellow/red card

That guy is a f'n ass clown on the sidelines.

I'm fine with it - always have been.

Unless it's excessive and it actually disrupts the flow of the game - I.e. if someone dunks the crossbar and ends up bending it and it has to be properly realigned by stadium staff. I believe Jimmy Graham did that once.

Back
Top Bottom