A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations?

It's not that black and white. We can't say race has nothing to do with it just like can't say race is the only reason people dislike him and his celebrations

I am sure for some people out there it's about race, I am sure everything is about race to some people wether black or white unfortunately.

I don't think about it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99% of them I don't mind. Didn't mind the random antics of the cell phone (Joe Horn IIRC) or some small props between teammates.
Same goes for Cam. I don't get bothered by what he does. He isn't mooning/giving the bird/racist/sexist etc for his celebration.

Excessive ones, like the TO to star, were dumb, and I wish George Teague hit him harder.

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

Heres what really irks me is people playing the race card. Look at it this way, do you think people who DONT consider Mayweather the GOAT think so because hes black? Or maybe it has to do with the way he carries himself on and off the ring. The trash talk, how he constantly shows off his money, the domestic abuse, cherry-picking his opponents etc.

As great as an athlete is, how they carry themselves on and off the field will ultimately decide their legacy. Cam Newton is great off the field with the charities and what not but to be constantly celebrating even with you already blew your opponent out of the water, it's gonna piss people off. It has nothing to do with the fact that hes black.

They are professionals. Act Like it. Celebrate when your hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

quote-when-you-get-to-the-end-zone-act-like-you-ve-been-there-before-earl-campbell-71-35-33.jpg

On the field or in the endzone celebrations don't bother me, it's part of an emotional game. I love cam wakes celebration after a big sack so I can't hate another teams player for doing the same thing. What I can't stand though is the sideline celebrations and posing for pictures as a team before the game is even over. That's just too.****y and unprofessional. I'm surprised someone hasn't ran over to break up the panthers while they are dabbing on the side lines. And yes race plays a part unfortunately and when people complain it's seen as racist. Have you ever heard a white Qb say something like "I'm just a white Qb from Texas trying to win" if tannehill said that people would blow up.

I like the end zone team related celebrations, they need to cool it with penalties on that stuff. Where the celebration line is crossed is when it is done in the face of another player(s), which to me is more like taunting. To me, this is the line that the nfl should make when it comes to celebrations.

Totally fine with celebrating. I hate how easy it is for them to throw a flag on players now.

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

This whole rant in its generalities, is racist in its own right.

I fully support the defensive player being able to tea bag the QB if they get a sack...

Heres what really irks me is people playing the race card. Look at it this way, do you think people who DONT consider Mayweather the GOAT think so because hes black? Or maybe it has to do with the way he carries himself on and off the ring. The trash talk, how he constantly shows off his money, the domestic abuse, cherry-picking his opponents etc.

As great as an athlete is, how they carry themselves on and off the field will ultimately decide their legacy. Cam Newton is great off the field with the charities and what not but to be constantly celebrating even with you already blew your opponent out of the water, it's gonna piss people off. It has nothing to do with the fact that hes black.

So you are comparing the out of the ring stuff with the celebrating on the field of Cam Newton as a reason to compare the two of them? That makes no ****ing sense I have to tell you.

I swear, people in general just think there is a black and white answer for everything in this world.

I agree, how somebody carries themselves goes a long way in determining how their legacy will be perceived, but at the same time, in this particular situation, race is playing a factor in how he is being perceived. It isn't the only reason, but it's a reason none the less.

Its a futile argument though, because people are going to believe what they are going to believe and thats it. I've had family dinners in the heart of Miami Gardens and I grew up in some of the roughest neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale, I've done musical tracks in a hotboxed studio . . . I scored a 1440 on my SATs and went to the 98% white magnet program that only the top students could qualify for . . . trust me, there is such a thing as indirect racism . . . maybe someones intent isn't to be racist . . . but the color of a person's skin may help perceive a certain stereotype about that person. Certainly mannerisms will amplify those stereotypes but those stereotypes are often triggered by race.

It's the same reason when I go to a work function that is 95% white, people who attempt to be "cool" with me bring up Obama, rap and eventually weed smoking. These are some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they are indirectly being racist because of the color of my skin . . . and thats fine . . . but lets not sit up here and say "it has nothing to do with someone being black" because that is a bunch of bull****.

So you are comparing the out of the ring stuff with the celebrating on the field of Cam Newton as a reason to compare the two of them? That makes no ****ing sense I have to tell you.

I swear, people in general just think there is a black and white answer for everything in this world.

I agree, how somebody carries themselves goes a long way in determining how their legacy will be perceived, but at the same time, in this particular situation, race is playing a factor in how he is being perceived. It isn't the only reason, but it's a reason none the less.

Its a futile argument though, because people are going to believe what they are going to believe and thats it. I've had family dinners in the heart of Miami Gardens and I grew up in some of the roughest neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale, I've done musical tracks in a hotboxed studio . . . I scored a 1440 on my SATs and went to the 98% white magnet program that only the top students could qualify for . . . trust me, there is such a thing as indirect racism . . . maybe someones intent isn't to be racist . . . but the color of a person's skin may help perceive a certain stereotype about that person. Certainly mannerisms will amplify those stereotypes but those stereotypes are often triggered by race.

It's the same reason when I go to a work function that is 95% white, people who attempt to be "cool" with me bring up Obama, rap and eventually weed smoking. These are some of the nicest people you will ever meet but they are indirectly being racist because of the color of my skin . . . and thats fine . . . but lets not sit up here and say "it has nothing to do with someone being black" because that is a bunch of bull****.

We're talking about sports here. Not your own personal experience with indirect racism. For Cam Newton to say "I'm an African-American QB that may scare a lot of people' is unwarranted. Why does race play a role here? Because hes dancing? Are black people the only race that dance? Is "dabbing" unique to black people? I just fail to see why being black would even be brought up. It's the contestant dabbing after every TD, the superman pose every 1st down, the bench dancing around after every score that is pissing off the opposing team. To top it all off they're kicking ass while doing it. Imagine for a second the 2007 Patriots breaking every scoring and yardage record that year and seeing Tom Brady doing some ridiculous dance every time? It's bad enough they ran the score up.

Back
Top Bottom