A Look into a Potential Ndamukong Suh contract with the Dolphins. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Look into a Potential Ndamukong Suh contract with the Dolphins.

Great breakdown and I totally agree with the intent. This is an opportunity not to be missed and not for the few million that if not used aiming high will likely find their way into the pockets of someone like Wheeler.

Adam Schefter on NFL LIVE believes that Ndamukong Suh will be become the "The highest paid defensive player in NFL history"

We have some older overpaid vets that will be given the boot in 2016....sounds like the deal is workable. Just hope that Suh brings his A game and motor to the playing field every week. His intensity and the havoc he creates will allow other defenders to step it up.

Nice job KD. I did a simple 4 year, $60M, with no signing bonus, and like yours better.

I've also seen some talk on a 2 phase guarantee, like Watt, where $30M would be fully guaranteed but the other $25M or so would not be until year #2 or #3. It would give Miami an early out, to a degree. Don't see it mattering but, is out there.

I think there are so many ways to make these contracts work, the possibilities are endless.

Say way structure Tannehill the same way in 2016, same contract, everything . . . . we know that big hit happens in 2017 and we have a big hit for Suh in 2017. We can make the first year maybe a 7.5 million hit instead of 5, and add 2.5 million to another year . . . wherever the Dolphins see they have the most space going forward, we can allocate more money to that year. Dawn Aponte gets a whole lot of money to know how and when to fit these contracts into the salary cap so the team always remains flexible. She'll be tested over the next few years if we get Suh in a few days.

Definitely agree, so many roster bonuses, incentives, etc. It's a big chunk of money for sure, but it's manageable and I think you are getting a player who won't disappoint.

Best point KD made IMO is that you have to continue to draft well.

I think there are so many ways to make these contracts work, the possibilities are endless.

Say way structure Tannehill the same way in 2016, same contract, everything . . . . we know that big hit happens in 2017 and we have a big hit for Suh in 2017. We can make the first year maybe a 7.5 million hit instead of 5, and add 2.5 million to another year . . . wherever the Dolphins see they have the most space going forward, we can allocate more money to that year. Dawn Aponte gets a whole lot of money to know how and when to fit these contracts into the salary cap so the team always remains flexible. She'll be tested over the next few years if we get Suh in a few days.

Definitely agree, so many roster bonuses, incentives, etc. It's a big chunk of money for sure, but it's manageable and I think you are getting a player who won't disappoint.

Endless options and they all will work. I did a rough count on potential cap space for 2016. As we now stand, it could be as high as $85-90M with only 33 players. Many things will change that but. we will still have a TON of space. Too early to go to 2017 although I expect Wake, Grimes, and possibly Albert to be gone by then, with the cap going up another $20M over 2 years.

I still firmly believe that we will add a top CB with or without Suh, too much available young talent not to. I can see going as high as $8-10M a year for the CB we want. This is also very workable.

My only concern is keeping enough cap space this year for the one year deals, which you can do nothing with.

Like I said in another thread, I do not care how good he is, I am not paying 100,000,000 over 6yrs.

Like I said in another thread, I do not care how good he is, I am not paying 100,000,000 over 6yrs.

Will 80 over 5 do? (6th year is a throw in year, nobody sees that final year).

Wallace got 60 over 5, you mean to tell me Suh is not worth an extra 4 million a year to you?

Will 80 over 5 do? (6th year is a throw in year, nobody sees that final year).

Wallace got 60 over 5, you mean to tell me Suh is not worth an extra 4 million a year to you?

I think that is the issue. Wallace isn't worth 2 years 5 million and he was suppose to do a lot of the things for this offense that people are claiming suh will do for our D.
Wallace will make our passing game more dynamic, makes other receivers better, opens up running lanes. He'll make us a playoff team. Fast forward to 2015 and Suh fixes our running game by eating up blockers, improves passing game by caving in pocket, makes everyone on D better just by being super human. Some us think a better approach to building a football team is actually building a team, not adding a couple of saviors. For me the people who say suh will have no impact on our cap situation in the future are the same guys that go out and buy a fancy car. or rack up debt on the cards. They can afford it. All they have to do is stop contributing to their 401k. It's not an approach that I would take.

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n" Bum Phillips said this about our very own Don Shula. This idea that you can utilize your talent better than the other guy seems to be a common theme among the winners in the NFL. The guys that don't think that way seem to be the guys that sign bust after bust.

I think that is the issue. Wallace isn't worth 2 years 5 million and he was suppose to do a lot of the things for this offense that people are claiming suh will do for our D.
Wallace will make our passing game more dynamic, makes other receivers better, opens up running lanes. He'll make us a playoff team. Fast forward to 2015 and Suh fixes our running game by eating up blockers, improves passing game by caving in pocket, makes everyone on D better just by being super human. Some us think a better approach to building a football team is actually building a team, not adding a couple of saviors. For me the people who say suh will have no impact on our cap situation in the future are the same guys that go out and buy a fancy car. or rack up debt on the cards. They can afford it. All they have to do is stop contributing to their 401k. It's not an approach that I would take.

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n" Bum Phillips said this about our very own Don Shula. This idea that you can utilize your talent better than the other guy seems to be a common theme among the winners in the NFL. The guys that don't think that way seem to be the guys that sign bust after bust.

The Wallace is in no way comparable. With Wallace, we were paying for potential that in the end never really materialized; though he does, in fact, make our offense better, because no matter what, defenses have to account for his speed. Suh isn't potential, he's a proven commodity. His effect on the entire defense isn't theory, it's fact and can be seen in his play both in Nebraska and Detroit.

And who said he will have no impact on our cap situation? The very thread you are responding to indicates exactly what kind of impact it can have long term. Hell, there have been several threads indicating what kind of impact it will have and how it is manageable. I have yet to see a thorough explanation of how it will not be manageable and how it will set the team back long term. If you can provide that with actual calculations instead of weird comparisons to people racking up credit card debt, I'd like to see it.

I think what people are forgetting, is that Wallace needs somebody's help to be great. Suh needs nobody....

The Wallace is in no way comparable. With Wallace, we were paying for potential that in the end never really materialized; though he does, in fact, make our offense better, because no matter what, defenses have to account for his speed. Suh isn't potential, he's a proven commodity. His effect on the entire defense isn't theory, it's fact and can be seen in his play both in Nebraska and Detroit.

And who said he will have no impact on our cap situation? The very thread you are responding to indicates exactly what kind of impact it can have long term. Hell, there have been several threads indicating what kind of impact it will have and how it is manageable. I have yet to see a thorough explanation of how it will not be manageable and how it will set the team back long term. If you can provide that with actual calculations instead of weird comparisons to people racking up credit card debt, I'd like to see it.

Wallace was a 4 year veteran when we signed him with a couple of 1200 yard seasons under his belt. I guess I wasn't aware of the famous 5 year receiver step where we see a dramatic increase in production. Now that I think of it, it is often the fifth year in the league when all the great receivers take off.

This very thread shows a hypothetical 20 plus million cap number for 2nd and 3rd years of the contract. While this may be manageable like assuming large amounts of credit card debt it is not desirable. The Saints cap situation(20 mil over the cap) is manageable but not desirable.

Back
Top Bottom