A New Building Model? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A New Building Model?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
So much talk about Tua and the tank. But his injury throws a big monkey wrench on Miami's offseason plans. It may be too big of a risk to take him in the top 10, although many teams will be watching to see how his rehab goes. Another team to watch now in the quarterback search are the soon to be Las Vegas Raiders. To be honest, I think Burrow and a healthy Tua are the only two worth a top 10 pick. That said, I know teams are going to roll the dice. Miami may be one of those with Herbert a stronger possibility now.

The Dolphins could follow a similar path that San Francisco or New Orleans took, though. Neither drafted the quarterback of the future and both are among the best teams in the NFL, the Saints for quite some time now. Miami fans know all too well that the Saints got Brees, while the Dolphins ended up with Culpepper.

One thing is certain, I just don't think a team can win without a top quarterback. The coaching staff here, though, is a positive. Perhaps they can develop one. Think about this. Since Marino retired, Miami hasn't had a top-notch coach. There were a few that did okay, but player development has been a huge reason why the Dolphins have been mediocre for so long. That and, for some reason, never being able to field a solid offensive line. We talk a lot about how Miami could have drafted Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Ryan, Jackson etc. That's well and good, but how would they have done in Miami with the bumbling coaches the team has had here? And with no offensive line?

Anyway, for the fun of it, let's talk about a different building ideas? How about Bridgewater in free agency? He looked awfully impressive in New Orleans, going 5-0 with nine touchdowns and just two interceptions. If you extrapolate that over 15 games, that's 27 touchdowns and six interceptions. You can win with that. I know, the Saints offense is loaded and Miami's is near expansion team level. There are some trade options, the best might be Cam Newton, but he's an injury risk. The rest are no better than Tannehill, players like Carr, Trubisky, Dalton etc.

Bridgewater was pursued by Miami in the offseason, which means they thought he was at least a fit. He also had a lot of success with DaVante Parker at Lousville. He's a bit too conservative at times, and I do wonder if he moves the needle enough. But, I don't think he's getting big money (qb-wise) and that doesn't preclude the Dolphins taking a quarterback. Although, maybe the team waits until 2021.

I'd favor going heavy on the offensive line in free agency, picking up two quality starters if possible. One, if two aren't available. My biggest splurge in free agency would be a pass rusher either Clowney or Armstead. Watching the Dolphins lack of pass rush has to bug Flores in a big way, plus the team has struggled to find those types of players in the draft. I'd fill in the rest of free agency with depth types. I love Derrick Henry, but I think he's going to be too costly for a running back. Plus, that's a strong suit in the draft.

As to the draft, with the quarterback position solidified (probably), I would look BPA with a focus on the elite positions. Miami could get to 5-11 with NYG and Cincinnati winnable games so drafting close to top 5. How about something like this for the first two rounds.....

1. Derrick Brown DT, Auburn (other option Epenesa)
1. Alex Leatherwood OT, Alabama
1. Tyler Biadasz C, Wisconsin
2. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
2. Najee Harris, RB Alabama

Maybe a corner in there. Brown is interesting because he can stop the run and pressure the passer from the inside. Miami does need an edge-setter, but Young will be gone. Epenesa probably ends up top 10. He's intriguing. I would also like to see the Dolphins find a receiver who can take the top off a defense like Ruggs III, but I think he goes top 15. Hurts will likely end up in the first round when all is said and done. Lots of other possibilities there if you don't go quarterback.

Draft a freaking QB. And if he doesn't pan out, draft another one. At some point this franchise has to hit it big at the QB position or it will wallow in mediocrity for another twenty years. Just take a look at the Indianapolis Colts. They went from Super Bowl hopefuls, to a sub .500 team without Andrew Luck. That's why I'm all for swinging for the fences and taking Tua if his medicals check out.

Free agency will answer the question on which way we build IMO … That said I don't have enough knowledge about specific players to offer suggestions but...

IF the QB you want is there I don't wait to pick him
The DL (Edge) I would address before DT ... if I could get both I would
A combination of QB, OL and DL (edge) would be my first instinct using round 2 for OL and LB/CB

Draft a freaking QB. And if he doesn't pan out, draft another one. At some point this franchise has to hit it big at the QB position or it will wallow in mediocrity for another twenty years. Just take a look at the Indianapolis Colts. They went from Super Bowl hopefuls, to a sub .500 team without Andrew Luck. That's why I'm all for swinging for the fences and taking Tua if his medicals check out.
That's a big if, but I do agree with you there. If he's close to 100 percent, I'd still role the dice there.

Question, do you think Miami could win with a Teddy Bridgewater if the team solidified the offensive line and got the running game going?

I'd love for Bridgewater to reunite with Parker in Miami. I'm not sure he'd consider it, after what happened, last off season. Would or Could Miami revisit signing him? Anything is possible. He's looking for a huge contract and as we know, Miami has a boat load of cap space. Just not sure there would be interest from both parties once again. Perhaps that ship has sailed?

Free agency will answer the question on which way we build IMO … That said I don't have enough knowledge about specific players to offer suggestions but...

IF the QB you want is there I don't wait to pick him
The DL (Edge) I would address before DT ... if I could get both I would
A combination of QB, OL and DL (edge) would be my first instinct using round 2 for OL and LB/CB
It's just hard to say how Miami might feel about quarterbacks other than Burrow and Tua. If Tua is a medical question at the time of the draft, I could definitely see the Dolphins taking Herbert. And that could work out. I think this is a staff that will be able to develop a quarterback.

Your priorities are hopefully in line with the front office's thinking as well.

That's a big if, but I do agree with you there. If he's close to 100 percent, I'd still role the dice there.

Question, do you think Miami could win with a Teddy Bridgewater if the team solidified the offensive line and got the running game going?
No. There is nothing special about Teddy Bridgewater. If that was the plan, why didn't the franchise just do that with Tannehill? There isn't that big a difference in the level of QB play between the two, so why would they tear down the roster if that was going to be the plan?

... How about Bridgewater in free agency?..

That long post just to get to this???

Do a forum search. There are multiple threads on Bridgewater.

I'll save you the effort... No way in hell is he coming here. He's staying in NO.

The big problem with FA QBs is missing out on the rookie contract...

I agree … that's why if there is a guy you like at QB (not only but especially) I draft him ALMOST regardless of draft value … that may just be me but shaking the dice he will still be there later could be costly … a FA QB could save you some growing pains and give you more immediate results but only if your team is fairly well set at skill positions ...

I look at Jacksonville and shake my head … I thought they could pull it off with Foles … maybe it's coaching, maybe Foles is just fools gold IDK … but shelling out a mint before the roster is better set would be a huge and costly gamble IMO

1. Don't really see the point in signing a FA QB. Stick with status quo and draft there (if available). I'm not planning to win the Super Bowl next year so if I have to wait until 2021 to draft my guy, that's what I do.

2. Future assets. Procure additional draft resources for 2021 and eventually 2022. Those drafts matter just as much as 2020, despite the fans sense of urgency in the right here, right now. Roll over as much salary cap space until your in a position to sign guys who want to play for us, not get paid by us.

3. Past failures at OL matter not. Keep throwing draft picks at that. If/when you get your QB, have a better team than that slop we handed RT17. Signing FA OL worth a damn will be a tough sell without a monster contract/over pay.

4. Don't forget to Sell, Sell, Sell while Buying, Buying, Buying. If you don't get the QB you like at 1a, start the ball rolling on future assets and start taking phone calls pretty early on. Let it be known we don't need any one player so if you do, come and get him. It will also mask any real QB interest.

5. The freedom of needing almost everything means we don't need anyone specifically. Maybe that would've been a bit different if you know who didn't get hurt, again. Just get talent. It's not that hard. There's 53 guys on the Miami Dolphins right now who all want to be Miami Dolphins next year. Convincing 5 or 6 talented free agents to join on shouldn't be THAT hard.

6. Extend Jason Sanders.

We can sit here and make valid points as to why we need every position/every prospect. At the end of the day though we have to build an identity on at least one side of the ball. If your going to take a DE first, you better be adding a DB. If you take a QB, you better be taking 2 OL in your first 5 picks, along with a RB 2nd/3rd round.

It's going to be fun to watch.

Last edited:
I'd love for Bridgewater to reunite with Parker in Miami. I'm not sure he'd consider it, after what happened, last off season. Would or Could Miami revisit signing him? Anything is possible. He's looking for a huge contract and as we know, Miami has a boat load of cap space. Just not sure there would be interest from both parties once again. Perhaps that ship has sailed?
Could be. I think a lot depends on how much longer Brees is going to play. If Brees wants to play just one more season, Bridgewater would be smart to stay in New Orleans. If that's not the case, Bridgewater needs to find a new home. He might consider Miami a better option now that the coaching staff appears to be doing a good job.

That long post just to get to this???

Do a forum search. There are multiple threads on Bridgewater.

I'll save you the effort... No way in hell is he coming here. He's staying in NO.
It's not so much about suggesting Bridgewater as it is going in another direction rather than the draft for a quarterback. If Miami's target all along was Tua, the team has to consider other options. Maybe it's a trade for Cam Newton? My basic point was that there are teams out there (SF, NO) that didn't draft a quarterback and are top teams in the NFL.

If the Dolphins were able to get a difference maker on defense, instead of reaching on a quarterback, and build a strong foundation, that would be a positive.

Back
Top Bottom