A Scenario that lands us both Sewell and Smith/Chase | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Scenario that lands us both Sewell and Smith/Chase

No way Dolphins should use a top ten pick for an OL. Ever
Long was a mistake.
we could’ve had Matt Ryan instead. Or Aaron Rodgers instead of Ronnie Brown. We have made many mistakes when we were picking in the top 5. Hopefully not with Tua, I’m still hopeful, but if we dont’ trade this pick away, we have to get it right. I’d like to see that pick be either Smith, Chase, or Pitts.

I don't believe in some steadfast rule that you "never" use a top 10 pick on any core position (obviously not a punter or kicker). That's too simplistic. But the idea that Sewell is so much better than every other player in this draft is overblown and just plain wrong, IMO. I have Lawrence, Smith, Chase, Sewell, Slater and Pitts as the top 6 prospects in this draft in no particular order. For Miami, who just used their top picks last season on QB,Ts and CB, the QB and T off that group are way down on the need list and are practically off the board at #3.

No way I’m giving up all that early capital. You could draft an OL at one of those spots and many other starters or high level players

I would be interested in trading up from 18 for Pitts though

Me neither.

I like @ckparrothead ‘s suggestion of Devonta Smith and Dillon Radunz better.

Smith, Radunz + keeping 36 and 81 >>> just Sewell and Smith/Chase

Also, if Smith or Chase is selected early by MIA I’d also be on board with trading up from 18 for Pitts. That’s potentially crazy improvement in the play making department.

we could’ve had Matt Ryan instead. Or Aaron Rodgers instead of Ronnie Brown. We have made many mistakes when we were picking in the top 5. Hopefully not with Tua, I’m still hopeful, but if we dont’ trade this pick away, we have to get it right. I’d like to see that pick be either Smith, Chase, or Pitts.
I agree though in hindsight not taking Matt Ryan was probably a good thing. His choke in the SB was epic and that’s what the guy kinda is. Sure he put up numbers but he comes up small in big moments. Taking him would have likely meant we were teased every year but never quite got it done. W Rodgers on the other hand, we win a SB. All this said, QB should have been the pick both times. If your all world LT is protecting Chad Henne it’s kind of a waste.

ooh oooh!!! Don’t forget Dion Jordan!!!

I don't believe in some steadfast rule that you "never" use a top 10 pick on any core position (obviously not a punter or kicker). That's too simplistic. But the idea that Sewell is so much better than every other player in this draft is overblown and just plain wrong, IMO. I have Lawrence, Smith, Chase, Sewell, Slater and Pitts as the top 6 prospects in this draft in no particular order. For Miami, who just used their top picks last season on QB,Ts and CB, the QB and T off that group are way down on the need list and are practically off the board at #3.
Exactly. I don’t care if he’s the second coming of Jackie Slater or Anthony Muñoz. In today’s NFL, you need playmakers. We took so much corn fed the last two season. Let the kids grow. Take a play maker at no 3 and 18. Do not trade down to accumulate more “average”, “solid” or “JAG” players. There’s a time and place for that. This year isn’t it. Playmakers, ball skills, running ability - lay off of the loping linemen - on both sides of the ball.

I’m glad you aren’t in charge of our front office. Truth is, we can draft great receiver prospects and Oline prospects with our first 5 picks. Don’t need to trade any of them no matter who we draft at 3. Fans always get hung up over the too 10 players. But truth is we can get some great prospects at Oline, wr, running back etc with our top picks. Could fill 4 or 5 holes with those picks with some wonderful prospects, why in earth would we trade those assets unless the FO decided to trade them for Deshaun Watson?
Well that’s certainly one take and another would be that we would have two top 10 selections when we never should have had one.

Dude with how many picks we seem to whiff on, this is probably the best idea I've heard all offseason!!!!

It makes way too much sense for the Dolphins to do it ..

I love it tho!

If we stick with Tua which seems likely, I continue to mull over Sewell or a WR at #3. Sewell is a can’t miss prospect so passing on him seems foolish at such a premium position, but we know we also need playmakers. In this scenario I propose the following:

Draft P. Sewell at #3

Trade #18, 36, and 81. 1,625 points on the trade chart for:

Detroit #7 selection valued at 1,500 points

Depending on how the draft unfolds one of Chase, Smith, or even Pitts should be available at 7. I think this is a good price to pay for a sure fire play maker we desperately need. Also, Detroit seems to be a great trade partner as they’ve already deferred compensation in the Stafford trade signaling they are prepared for a long rebuild and may be interested in accumulating more draft capital.

thoughts?
I think there are at least 6 first round caliber tackles in the 2021 draft. While Sewell might be getting the hype, I think if they want to take a tackle in the first round they can stay at 18 and get one of those tackles in that spot without having to trade away picks. I do want them to take a WR with their first pick but I don’t see the need to take Sewell at 3 because they spent a lot of draft resources on the OL last year and their biggest needs are offensive skill players IMO.
the six top tackles in the draft are:
1) Sewell
2) Vera-Tucker
3) Cosmi
4) Leatherwood
5) Darrishaw
6) Slater
Some so called draft experts have Slater rated higher than Sewell and I have seen a few mock drafts that have the Dolphins taking Darrishaw with the 18th pick in round one.
Even if they don’t draft a tackle in round one, there will still be top guards and centers they can draft in round 2 and possibly one of the top 6 tackles will slide into the second round.

In a perfect world we can trade from to 3 to 4 to land Sewell, acquiring that additional capital from Atlanta that can be used to move up from 18.I don’t see us moving into the top 10 though.

Someone really talented is dropping out of the top 10.

Dallas at 10 seems like a natural trading partner. They could really use the 50th pick to help a stagnant and broken roster. I don’t want to give that pick up or anything because I have it earmarked for a center. However, if I see one or two of Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts, or Parsons fall I’m making calls to Jerry.

Giants at 11 should be drooling over all 5 of those guys so you’d have to expect 10 is the place to move up to. I’m really hoping Allen Robison signs with NYG and they go CB at 11.

Ideally one of those WRs falls to Minnesota at 14. At which point the compensation will be much more tolerable to move up.

Food for thought: Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs were all top 10 picks last year......until they weren’t. Also, all the teams that selected WRs in the first round last year are picking before our first. That bodes well for our chances of one of those guys making their way to us a way other than at 3.

Last edited:
You got to think Flo would not go O-line at three, not the pats way, In fact, the pats never had high draft picks, The o-line is the ultimate team thing in the NFL . I see us adding 1 new asset as a starter in our group, and some depth , but I think we have the backbone of our o-line

I'm sure glad Coach Flores is a defensive guy because none of these suggestions help out our Front 7. We should trade down in round 1 and collect some extra low first, 2nd, and 3rd round picks so we can address the Edge, DT, LB, and S positions in addition to the WR, RB, OL, and TE positions.

Don't forget our HUGE ADVANTAGE of having just coached the Senior Bowl and our familiarly with all of the players that were there. We overachieved last year. This team is still rebuilding inside on both sides of the ball. We are not one or two superstar playmakers away from the Superbowl. The draft has always been about building a strong core of players who play together for the future. It shouldn't be about plugging holes; we are not Kansas City. Maybe this team has FINALLY learned this. I hope so.

With all of our inside information on this draft class, we should try to collect mid-round draft picks and finish rebuilding the core of this team. Also we can pick high-upside playmakers in the middle rounds.

I'm not worried about the first round. We will get some good players who will be future weapons probably on offense.

But that isn't the BIG PICTURE. WE have the capital. WE have the inside info. This is our draft to win or lose. Let's WIN IT! The best way to prevent draft busts is to draft more players; and take more rolls of the dice.

RW

You need a decent line and an elite qb. Not the other way around.
Wake up people, Three yards and a cloud is long gone.

Back
Top Bottom