A Scenario that lands us both Sewell and Smith/Chase | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Scenario that lands us both Sewell and Smith/Chase

I don't believe in some steadfast rule that you "never" use a top 10 pick on any core position (obviously not a punter or kicker). That's too simplistic.
Should be the rule. Top ten should be an instant impactful player. Whether offense or defense. O lineman is not. Never ever OL in top ten.

Should be the rule. Top ten should be an instant impactful player. Whether offense or defense. O lineman is not. Never ever OL in top ten.

kuato.gif

oh sure, that seems completely logical, okay then...

Cnc2.gif

Well that’s certainly one take and another would be that we would have two top 10 selections when we never should have had one.
I’d rather have the 4 players in the top 50. More chances to have good starters, more players and more holes fixed. Think of all of the great players picked in the second and third rounds over all of the past drafts. The very same picks you want to unnecessarily trade away.

Not trying to be a jerk, but this is a terrible idea/scenario. The draft is a crap shoot. Its always best to draft as many players as possible as opposed to trading picks to move up and draft "sure things". I can give hundreds of examples.......Dion Jordan comes to mind immediately.

If we draft Sewell at 3 (and I pray to God we dont), we can still pick up good players with those other picks. But drafting a LT in the 1st round simply doesn't make sense to me...

I just dont see how. He's not even the best pass protector in his class. He had quite a bit of hype coming into the year and I respect that, but man, I just really don't like paying a 3rd overall for a guy who could potentially be simply a guard
And he didn't even play last year. People are buying the hype.

Last week of April can't get here soon enough. I hate trading up tho from time to time it makes sense. This would not be one of those times. Anybody that thinks we're just a couple of players away is not paying attention. Trading up for your last missing piece is ok but that's not the situation we're in. We need two WR, a RB, a LB, another Edge plus a safety. Maybe one more O-line guy. You don't fix all of that by trading up for one player.

If we take Sewell at #3, what receiver will be there at #18? Not Chase, Smith or Waddell, is that ok? I'm going into this draft saying that one of these 3 is a must and we also need a true difference maker at RB. How big of a gap is there after the top 3 receivers?

Strong pass. I wouldn't give up any resources for any offensively lineman, especially after heavily investing in the OL in the last draft. I'm okay with spending 18 on an OL if someone like Slater or Darrisaw is there and the BPA.

I'm only interested in giving up picks to land actual difference makers - playmakers. In other words, I'd draft Smith/Chase with 1a, and be okay with moving up from 18 to get Waddle or Pitts. Wouldn't move up for an OL. Ever.

Drafting Sewell at 3 would be the most disappointing potential outcome in this draft by far. I'd turn the TV off immediately tbh.

I'd trade back from #3 and take Waddle and Pitts in the first. Pitts at 8 to 10 and use our trade back capital to move from 18 to 12 to 15 for Waddle.

We would be very explosive with a receiving core of Parker, Williams, Gesicicki, Pitts and Waddle.

If we could get Harris or Williams with our first 2nd we could be dynamic!!

So many crazy possible scenarios but there all POSSIBLE which is exciting....

Phins still need several studs to make a run and it’s too early to know what going to happen FA. We have some capital and will cut some guys and make some room in the cap.
And this draft is more of a crap shoot then usual as scouts reported that their entire evaluation process was destroyed due to COVID.

so value in the draft is in 2nd and 3rd rounds where much talent will fall.

bring in Flo and Grier and the coaching of the Sr bowl. The dolphins will do all the can to get rich in picks 10 through 50. Let’s see if they can parlay their 4 first and 2nd rounders into 6 studs in the 10 to 50 range - including trading players - Parker Gisecki Bobby McCain Albert Wilson may all go to stockpile draft picks now...

the Dolphins will trade down from that 3 pick overall if the bidding is good...they may even trade down twice if they see enough top players they covet cont to fall...people stuck on one guy or another right now is simply being wishful....

If we take Sewell at #3, what receiver will be there at #18? Not Chase, Smith or Waddell, is that ok? I'm going into this draft saying that one of these 3 is a must and we also need a true difference maker at RB. How big of a gap is there after the top 3 receivers?
I would say there is a decent sized gap and a lot of guys all ranked in about the same region so that if you don't get one of the top three it's probably safe to not force an early pick on a receiver. Rankings seem to be all over the place. Slot receivers are plentiful...Rondale Moore seems like a wild card.....slot receiver whom Purdue pretty much never threw deep to. Kadarius Toney is a nice speed receiver but 18 seems way too high. But past the first three guys no one screams #1 receiver unless you happen to get lucky.

IF we wanted to commit to going with an offensive lineman and a wide receiver with the first two picks, I would think that there is more depth on OL than at WR. Huge top three at WR then a gap and a lot of guys you will be throwing darts at. Seems to be about 6 really good OL that will be top 20. Christian Darrisaw could be there at 18.

Back
Top Bottom