A shakeup at strong side linebacker? Koa or Ike? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A shakeup at strong side linebacker? Koa or Ike?

Wow, I didn't think there'd be two people misguided enough to start comparing the stats of a primary pass rushing 3-4 WOLB with those of a 3-4 DE.

And for the record yes Jared Odrick has appeared on the gamebooks with pressures on the QB. And so has Charles Grant. Not once for Cam Wake. Not once for Koa Misi. Which is probably why Tony Sparano specifically talked about being concerned about pass rush production from his OLBs.

Actually comparing the 2 wasn't my point. Just pointing out 2 posters seeing different things on the field despite the stats. Folks point out Odricks stats, you say he's winning his battles, you point out Wake's stats and Hoops says he sees him getting pressure. Personally Wake hasn't stuck out to me and although I didn't watch the entire Atlanta game I did see Odrick win a battle at the line them whiff on a tackle that would have saved a first down.

Don't sweat it coach... If Misi or Wake goes up to New England this year and puts up a string of goose eggs all across the board, at least they're doing it a lot cheaper than last year's version...

Actually comparing the 2 wasn't my point. Just pointing out 2 posters seeing different things on the field despite the stats. Folks point out Odricks stats, you say he's winning his battles, you point out Wake's stats and Hoops says he sees him getting pressure. Personally Wake hasn't stuck out to me and although I didn't watch the entire Atlanta game I did see Odrick win a battle at the line them whiff on a tackle that would have saved a first down.

I didn't watch the Atlanta game. I've watched Wake's and Misi's work in both the Tampa and Jacksonville games. I can say no I have not been happy with Wake's pass rush production. I've been talking Wake up quite a bit prior to this preseason, so I'm not just picking on a guy that I love to pick on. But I'm also not going to pretend he's been getting the job done at WOLB just because I've talked him up in the past.

I'm not coming at this from the standpoint of someone who never watches the tape. That would be the last thing I'd pretty much expect anyone to ever accuse me of if they knew me.

All I can say is, yesterday we hear that Ikaika Alama-Francis is getting first string reps at SOLB, and while everyone is freaking out about the implications for Koa Misi, the first thing I thought of is that the Dolphins are trying to see if a pairing of Francis at SOLB and Misi at WOLB will bring anything to the table that the Misi-Wake pairing lacks right now. Now today Sparano is talking about seeing Misi more at WOLB.

wanna talk about not getting anything from a guy...check out some of joey p's first team pass rush reps in zona...lol

1. Odrick plays a 3-4 DE position from which it is MUCH harder to accumulate those statistics.
2. He does in fact have at least one QB Hit/Hurry on the record with the gamebooks.

What do you mean they haven't asked him to rush the passer? What do you think he's doing when he's on the field in nickel downs? Knitting?

Stop with the excuses. He's not playing well and needs to play better.

you dont need #1, because I stated in my post it was two separate positions. also, I said they havent asked him to get after the passer as much. like as much as they will during the regular season. he has been in coverage an awful lot more then i think he will be during the regular season. this was the best opportunity to see him in coverage and get him actual game reps in coverage. Im not making excuses, he hasnt lived up to my expectations as well during the preseason as I was hoping he would dominated when he was asked to rush the pass. Ive seen him get QB hurries a few times during preseason. Im not sure who keeps track of those stats, but they are definitely wrong.

I didn't watch the Atlanta game. I've watched Wake's and Misi's work in both the Tampa and Jacksonville games. I can say no I have not been happy with Wake's pass rush production. I've been talking Wake up quite a bit prior to this preseason, so I'm not just picking on a guy that I love to pick on. But I'm also not going to pretend he's been getting the job done at WOLB just because I've talked him up in the past.

I'm not coming at this from the standpoint of someone who never watches the tape. That would be the last thing I'd pretty much expect anyone to ever accuse me of if they knew me.

All I can say is, yesterday we hear that Ikaika Alama-Francis is getting first string reps at SOLB, and while everyone is freaking out about the implications for Koa Misi, the first thing I thought of is that the Dolphins are trying to see if a pairing of Francis at SOLB and Misi at WOLB will bring anything to the table that the Misi-Wake pairing lacks right now. Now today Sparano is talking about seeing Misi more at WOLB.

Would never accuse you of not watching film, I always look forward to reading your analysis following games. Sounds like Sparano has backed up you opinion here. Just pointing out the different perspective, that's all.

1. Odrick plays a 3-4 DE position from which it is MUCH harder to accumulate those statistics.
2. He does in fact have at least one QB Hit/Hurry on the record with the gamebooks.

What do you mean they haven't asked him to rush the passer? What do you think he's doing when he's on the field in nickel downs? Knitting?

Stop with the excuses. He's not playing well and needs to play better.

Sorry to say but your gamebooks are wrong. Cam Wake has most certainly gotten pressure/hurried the QB. Seen it with my own two eyes. I wanna say I've seen him hit the QB too but don't quote me on that...

The facts are as they are. The NFL gamebooks track hits on the QB and they track sacks and Cam Wake hasn't gotten any of them. He's won his matchups several times, and I praise him for that. I praised Jared Odrick for the same thing. But at some point you put on the big boy pants and translate those matchup wins into PRODUCTION.

Of course there have been plenty of other instances in pass rush where Cam Wake keeps ending up on the ground or getting otherwise erased from the field, and the coaches can't like that.

The guy needs to step up. I was expecting to see more when I popped in his preseason tapes than we've seen. He has zero production at that spot in terms of sacks and hits on the QB.

Sorry to say but your gamebooks are wrong. Cam Wake has most certainly gotten pressure/hurried the QB. Seen it with my own two eyes. I wanna say I've seen him hit the QB too but don't quote me on that...
R & R I believe you are right. I think Wake hit Ryan on that sideline throw to Roddy White where Jason Allen actually had pretty good coverage. I will say that I don't think Wake's pass rush has been as good as we need it to be. To be fair to him and the rest of our pass rushers I have seen plenty of plays where we are going a pretty good pass rush, but our coverage is just so bad it doesn't. Just a few examples, the 45 yarder to Sims-Walker Misi pulled a good spin move that would have gotten there had the coverage been better. And I saw Misi with a bull rush that should have been a sack, but Nolan Carroll got beat on an out route and the Falcons picked up a first down.

you're gonna send me back to the tape ck on wake...i've got the last 2 games on dvr...

also...i think you're gonna see wake flip flop as a pass rusher to get better matchups...i haven't seen much of that yet...

That's fine, the tape will out. But at some point production is production. The guy's got to translate better going from giving a blocker a hard time, to getting the sack, hitting the QB, making his presence FELT. I see guys all over the place this preseason getting sacks. Geno Atkins and Greg Hardy probably have about 50 between them.

He's got to step up. What is going on out there right now is not working from a pass rush standpoint and if it's not...Wake doesn't have much reason to be out there aside from pass rush I wouldn't think.

R & R I believe you are right. I think Wake hit Ryan on that sideline throw to Roddy White where Jason Allen actually had pretty good coverage. I will say that I don't think Wake's pass rush has been as good as we need it to be. To be fair to him and the rest of our pass rushers I have seen plenty of plays where we are going a pretty good pass rush, but our coverage is just so bad it doesn't. Just a few examples, the 45 yarder to Sims-Walker Misi pulled a good spin move that would have gotten there had the coverage been better. And I saw Misi with a bull rush that should have been a sack, but Nolan Carroll got beat on an out route and the Falcons picked up a first down.

I agree coverage has been a problem. For BOTH starters. And it's not helping the production.

demarcus ware didn't do much against the chargers the other night either...i'm not concerned about it...just sayin

demarcus ware didn't do much against the chargers the other night either...i'm not concerned about it...just sayin
Well to be fair Demarcus Ware has proved so much in this league, it's hard to ever be concerned with his play in the preseason. It's like when Brandon dropped those balls in the Tampa. He has proven so much it wasn't really something to be concerned with. Although Wake has a good season last year rushing the passer, he hasn't proven he can be an every down linebacker. Keep in mind he was put in adventagous situations to rush the passer last year.

Demarcus Ware has a little bit more than 5.5 sacks to his name, a little bit more history to go on. When it gets right down to it, did Cameron Wake have more than two impressive games last year?

I don't want to start questioning things like that, but that's why Wake has to step up and wear the big boy pants and actually make something happen...not get pounded into the turf by Jeremy Trueblood.

Back
Top Bottom