A shakeup at strong side linebacker? Koa or Ike? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A shakeup at strong side linebacker? Koa or Ike?

why dont we wait until the games count, until Nolan actually runs packages and blitzes he hasnt shown yet, and then grade Cam Wake and everyone else?

ha ha...i knew the d ware thing would get a response...he's proven so its diifferent i know...

but straight up if you plan on getting pass rush from francis at solb and misi at wolb consistently i think you're trying to squeeze blood from a turnip...

If the coaches waited for that, they wouldn't have any evaluation tools to decide who should play what and where, until the L's start piling up.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

ha ha...i knew the d ware thing would get a response...he's proven so its diifferent i know...

but straight up if you plan on getting pass rush from francis at solb and misi at wolb consistently i think you're trying to squeeze blood from a turnip...

Probably.

But if you're not getting it from Wake anyway, why's he out there?

Cam Wake is still getting his feet wet in the NFL CK. Problem is too many ppl here have built him up to be better than he is at this point. Im pretty sure he didnt lose his pass rush ability and explosion over the last few months. Ill reserve judgement starting in a few weeks........

I think something a lot of people are forgetting is we do have the players do get pressure from the interior. It's not something you want to count on eveyr play, but it certainly is a bonus. Grant, Starks, Odrick, and even Langford can all get pressure from the interior. You flush the quarterback out of the pocket and all of a sudden that bull rush that Misi is using appears to be getting to the quarterback more often.

I think something a lot of people are forgetting is we do have the players do get pressure from the interior. It's not something you want to count on eveyr play, but it certainly is a bonus. Grant, Starks, Odrick, and even Langford can all get pressure from the interior. You flush the quarterback out of the pocket and all of a sudden that bull rush that Misi is using appears to be getting to the quarterback more often.

against nfl left tackles to be consistently successful you need more than just one pass rush move...while i agree that misi's bull rush is solid these guys will figure out how to beat him with just that in no time...your wolb needs to have a variety of pass rush moves...misi needs time to develop before i'd even consider rushing him on the weakside on the regular...he's got decent first step i'd say but he's raw with everything else

point blank...if i'm depending on misi to get double digit sacks off the edge vs nfl left tackles i don't think its ever in the cards...barring some serious development and unforeseen talent

there's another point to this...we've barely seen wake rush with a hand in the dirt which i firmly believe right now is when he's at his best...i really think we're seeing them ask him to do things he's not the best at or that they feel needs development and i hope that once the games matter we see wake come off the edge from a 3 point stance at least on obvious passing downs...

couple that with likely changing sides for better matchups and i think cam wake will do just fine when the games matter...double digit sacks

against nfl left tackles to be consistently successful you need more than just one pass rush move...while i agree that misi's bull rush is solid these guys will figure out how to beat him with just that in no time...your wolb needs to have a variety of pass rush moves...misi needs time to develop before i'd even consider rushing him on the weakside on the regular...he's got decent first step i'd say but he's raw with everything else

point blank...if i'm depending on misi to get double digit sacks off the edge vs nfl left tackles i don't think its ever in the cards...barring some serious development and unforeseen talent
I saw him use a pretty good spin move against the jags. You're probably going to disagree with me, but I think Misi has done a better job than Wake rushing the passer this preseason. The coverage needs to be better for any player to get a consistent pass rush. I mean it's been that bad at times. I will admit it looked much better last game. I do think Misi is a better fit at SSOLB. And to be honest I really don't want Ike seeing the field at all other than goalline situations.

perhpas they are jsut trying to show Misi how the set the edge better. Misi is the better all around olb, and prob player ... i just worry about his run defense a little bit. I remember my first pop-warner game as OLB...i got BURNED (it was pre-season) on like 3 tds b/c they had a reall fast little half back and i could never set the edge. Misi just needs to learn that in a run play he must get outside containment and force the back inside...if he continually guns at the guy and he cuts back..he is in trouble

that being said i have full confidence he will get into the habit and will be really good.

i just watched the falcons first possession and misi and wake both on 3rd and 7 bull rushed the tackles back into matt ryan forcing an errant throw...i mean just walked them straight back

misi even got a hand into the left tackles face mask and ripped off his helmet...probably should have been a penalty...

3rd and 1 power formation odrick beat the right tackle immediately and forces the runner wide tony gonzalez with an absolute win one on one vs misi runner tuirns the corner FIRST DOWN

thank god vontae davis is out there...

so far misi shot inside on one run play and gave up a soft edge and then this play...owned by tony gonzalez

Either way, I've seen enough Cam Wake in real games to not be concerned. If he fails to get to the QB in the regular season, then I'm worrying. But I don't see why that should happen with the blitz packages, Wake playing more with his hand on the ground, and him being moved around some for matchup purposes. As Bong stated, I doubt he just forgot how to rush the passer...

I wanna see what Wake can do when the season starts. Something tells me he is either:

A. Holding back, so that teams don't know what a threat he is as a pass rusher. or

B. That he is just not nearly as effective a pass rusher standing up.

I am hoping the answer is A. Though I lean much more towards B.

Perhaps all the other responsibilities that come with being an OLB are acting as a distraction to him mentally and causing him to be hesitant in his pass rush, because he become too worried about stopping the run or having to drop back into coverage. I think we need to use him as a straightup pass rusher. Don't make the poor guy think. Let him do what he does best, and just go after the QB. I know it isn't ideal as having an all around player, but i think it's better than removing him from the games completely.

I'm not happy if Misi is getting work at WOLB. Hard enough for a rookie to start at one OLB spot without confusing things further. Plus I just don't see that he can be as effective on the weak side

Can't say I'm surprised Wake is struggling to adjust to OLB - he was behind the likes of Anderson and Moses in the OLB rotation last year and he had an awful lot of catching up to do this offseason. Also as regards his production as a hand-down pass rusher I guess to some extent he's a marked man now

Should we even play this season, as bad as things seem, why don't we just regroup and get ready for next year if the'res no lock out. It amazes me how much every little thing is magnified after a meaningless pre-season game. The QB is a robot, the oline can't run block or pass block, down to just two TE, Misi suck, Odrick is a no show, bench sean smith, We need a free safety, we got no pass rush, Henning needs to go, Nolan needs to show us something, Sparano needs to stop with the shuffling, Brandon Marshall can't catch. I mean the list goes on. Guys can we wait until after the Bills game. Chill, everythig is going to be okay.

Back
Top Bottom