Acquiring a 4th First Round Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Acquiring a 4th First Round Pick

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I am personally sick of all the trade up scenarios for Tua. lol

Let's discuss going back up in the end of round 1 and for who.

So in 2016, KC and SF traded, allowing SF to trade pick 37 to get to 28
In 2017, The Browns traded 33/108 to get to 29
In 2017, Saints traded Cooks to get to 32
In 2018, Ravens give up 52/125/ and a future pick for the 32nd
In 2019, Seahawks trade the 30th pick to the Giants (I have no idea what compensations was) and Rams trade out of round 1 to Atlanta for 45/79

So Miami has the rest of the draft to use their some picks to get back into round 1. I would hate that to be a 2021 pick, unless it was higher than the lower part of round 1. Can you imagine this draft with a QB, a Tackle or 2, a DE AND maybe a RB or WR?
That to me is the big picture of this draft. While you all argue on what to give up to get a QB, MIami can compensate a little by what they miss at QB with 3 homeruns.

So just to throw some rankings that are out there, which are subjective:
29. Tee Higgins
30. Marlon Davidson
31. Dobbins (love this player)
32. AJ Terrell.

there are probably several players here that are debatable, but you see my point.

I’m all for sneaking back into the end of Round 1. Originally I liked the idea of going as high as maybe 27 to nab Jordan Love, but that looks like a pipe dream now. Even still, we have the 39th pick. It shouldn’t take too much ammunition to move up 7-10 picks if there’s a player we absolutely want to invest 5 years in.

I’m all for sneaking back into the end of Round 1. Originally I liked the idea of going as high as maybe 27 to nab Jordan Love, but that looks like a pipe dream now. Even still, we have the 39th pick. It shouldn’t take too much ammunition to move up 7-10 picks if there’s a player we absolutely want to invest 5 years in.
Great point. You nailed it, the ammo in Rd 2 plus a conditional pick should be enough to get us back in round 1. Maybe that offsets a pick we may lose if we do trade up for Tua. So we end up with three lol

The more I read about the draft, I see Grant Delpit moving in this territory. Looks like he had a down year. Nonetheless, we traded away a PB LT and S, and the goal should be to replace them. The other intriguing pick here, that I have heard buzzed about is Brandon Aiyuk,

Great point. You nailed it, the ammo in Rd 2 plus a conditional pick should be enough to get us back in round 1. Maybe that offsets a pick we may lose if we do trade up for Tua. So we end up with three lol
That would actually make me a whole lot more okay with trading up for Tua.

I think we have like 14 pics in this draft I can’t imagine them wanting more. These guys have to be signed in sometimes quality is greater than quantity
We have 40 holes on this team, on the low side. This team's mentality should be sustained growth through the draft and not depend on free agency until they are a player away from going over the top

I think we have like 14 pics in this draft I can’t imagine them wanting more. These guys have to be signed in sometimes quality is greater than quantity
Yes, but a trade up means you package picks, so you actually end up with less, so it does address that. I could see picks this year being moved for next year too.

I am personally sick of all the trade up scenarios for Tua. lol

Let's discuss going back up in the end of round 1 and for who.

So in 2016, KC and SF traded, allowing SF to trade pick 37 to get to 28
In 2017, The Browns traded 33/108 to get to 29
In 2017, Saints traded Cooks to get to 32
In 2018, Ravens give up 52/125/ and a future pick for the 32nd
In 2019, Seahawks trade the 30th pick to the Giants (I have no idea what compensations was) and Rams trade out of round 1 to Atlanta for 45/79

So Miami has the rest of the draft to use their some picks to get back into round 1. I would hate that to be a 2021 pick, unless it was higher than the lower part of round 1. Can you imagine this draft with a QB, a Tackle or 2, a DE AND maybe a RB or WR?
That to me is the big picture of this draft. While you all argue on what to give up to get a QB, MIami can compensate a little by what they miss at QB with 3 homeruns.

So just to throw some rankings that are out there, which are subjective:
29. Tee Higgins
30. Marlon Davidson
31. Dobbins (love this player)
32. AJ Terrell.

there are probably several players here that are debatable, but you see my point.

I think you left out one of the biggest positives about moving our pick 39 to a first. You get an extra year of team control on a first round pick. Instead of only 4 years Miami could pick up the 5th year option on a 1st round pick.

Many of those holes can be plugged in FA. With the way this coaching staff has plugged and played all season last year, they can get the most out of players brought in through FA or UDFA. The draft should be more about getting and picking up QUALITY players in rounds 1-3 anything after round 3 are going to be players who could be a gem or could be nothing.

I’m not saying Extra picks aren’t v good we are in fantastic shape of this year and next year but there comes to a point where Signing drafty’s is problematic for instance if we had 20 I don’t think that’s where any GM wants to be there is a sweet spot and I think we have it already

Last edited:
The more I read about the draft, I see Grant Delpit moving in this territory. Looks like he had a down year. Nonetheless, we traded away a PB LT and S, and the goal should be to replace them. The other intriguing pick here, that I have heard buzzed about is Brandon Aiyuk,

Ashtyn Davis and Antoine Winfield Jr. fit what this coaching staff is likely seeking better at safety, IMO.

Missed 20% of his tackles in 2018 and 24% in 2019, per Trust the Tape podcast and Jeff Cavanaugh and PFF

Not sure I would want him over a guy like McKinney if it came down to it. Or Winfield Jr in the 2nd

Back
Top Bottom