Adam Gase To Kenyan Drake When Drafted: We Drafted You To Beat The Patriots | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Gase To Kenyan Drake When Drafted: We Drafted You To Beat The Patriots

No question Drake has big play ability and I've got no problem having him get more touches. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's a legitimate #1 feature back toting the rock 15-20 times a game.

Perspective: Gore has 5 runs over 20 yards on 151 carries. Gurley has 10 on 244, Elliot has 10 on 268. On all but the big homerun type plays, Gore is producing at close to the same pace as the best backs in the league. Gore has no 40+ runs....but, only 8 RBs in the league have 2 or more runs of 40+, and only one (Barclay) has more than 3. At week 14, you're not going to see many more big runs. So, even if you have one of the best RBs in the league, you can't hope for more than a few big plays over the course of a season. The question is, do you take the 200+ carries away from the RB who consistently moves the chains to give to the RB who is inconsistent but gives you the hope of getting 3-4 carries that will produce a big homerun run?

No question Drake has big play ability and I've got no problem having him get more touches. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's a legitimate #1 feature back toting the rock 15-20 times a game.
Let's hope he never absolutely has to again (like the end of last year), but if he does he succeeds (like the end of last year).

Comp for Drake: Reggie Bush. Drake is bigger than Bush, just as fast, probably not quite as elusive. New Orleans tried making Bush more of a receiver than running back, but Bush's peak value as a RB were his two years in Miami and first year in Detroit. In those three years,he averaged just over 1,000 yards per year while getting just under 15 carries/game while catching about 3 passes per game. If Drake has a 1,000 yard rushing year, it would be with numbers similar to that.

Comp for Drake: Reggie Bush. Drake is bigger than Bush, just as fast, probably not quite as elusive. New Orleans tried making Bush more of a receiver than running back, but Bush's peak value as a RB were his two years in Miami and first year in Detroit. In those three years,he averaged just over 1,000 yards per year while getting just under 15 carries/game while catching about 3 passes per game. If Drake has a 1,000 yard rushing year, it would be with numbers similar to that.
Good comp.

But I was surprised Bush could carry that load for us. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Drake could.

15 to 18 carries per game, 3 to 5 targets per game. That should be his MINIMUM target workload.

Good comp.

But I was surprised Bush could carry that load for us. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Drake could.

15 to 18 carries per game, 3 to 5 targets per game. That should be his MINIMUM target workload.
I agree, I think Drake would be more able to should a full load than Bush.....he is a little bigger than Bush was....he's kind of halfway between Bush and Lamar Miller's size. He's a little taller than both but his weight is between the two.

Teams have really gone away from having workman backs anyway. There's only one back in the league averaging 20 or more carries per game. Right now there are only 11 back on pace to break 1,000 yards (and one of those is Kareem Hunt, so really just 10).

Good comp.

Unrealistic numbers. Through week 13, all RBs combined are avg. 20 carries per game. What you are saying is that Gore, Ballage, Bolden, etc should share 2-5 carries per game.

Do you think a target of 15-18 carries and 3-5 targets per game is unreasonable for him?

Unrealistic numbers. Through week 13, all RBs combined are avg. 20 carries per game. What you are saying is that Gore, Ballage, Bolden, etc should share 2-5 carries per game.
I'm basing it off what a normal workload for a RB across the league.

We've only been getting like 35 plays on offense per game this season, lol.

Unacceptable.

Do you think a target of 15-18 carries and 3-5 targets per game is unreasonable for him?
At those numbers, you're basically saying you're going to run him like Gurley. He's not built to handle that load, nor do I think he is the best option for that many snaps.. It would be great to get the ball into Drake's hands more in space, where he's dangerous. With a team only producing 20 carries per game, I'm not a huge fan of RB by committee it's hard for any of them to establish a rhythm.

At those numbers, you're basically saying you're going to run him like Gurley. He's not built to handle that load, nor do I think he is the best option for that many snaps.. It would be great to get the ball into Drake's hands more in space, where he's dangerous. With a team only producing 20 carries per game, I'm not a huge fan of RB by committee it's hard for any of them to establish a rhythm.
Ok. 12-14 carries, 3-5 targets. Minimum. :)

I disagree...

2016 season...we (Tannehill included) was good because of Ajayi. We were rarely behind the sticks which meant Tannehill didnt have to wing it like he did the previous seasons.

Don't underestimate the power of 2nd and 7 with the weakness of 2nd and 13...Stevie Wonder can see a draw is coming on the latter. The former gives more positive options.

While the narrative from some is Tanny’s 2016 success was due to Ajayi, the fact is in the last 5 wins (of the 7-1 streak), Ajayi averaged only 70yd per game and 3.7ypc...

that is just a typical nfl RB day at the office. Ajayi helped balance the O, but THill was in no way “good because of Ajayi...”.

THill was hiwever “better” because we had an actual ground game- or threat of one.

While the narrative from some is Tanny’s 2016 success was due to Ajayi, the fact is in the last 5 wins (of the 7-1 streak), Ajayi averaged only 70yd per game and 3.7ypc...

that is just a typical nfl RB day at the office. Ajayi helped balance the O, but THill was in no way “good because of Ajayi...”.

THill was hiwever “better” because we had an actual ground game- or threat of one.
Tannehill was good that year becuase of Ajayi. There is no doubt in my mind that Tannehill from 2012-2015 would have had those same numbers...with a loss associated with it. He would be throwing into 2nd/3rd and long, and either not completing a high percentage...or being dumped on his head by a sack because the defense knew a pass was coming (this isn't factoring in what some would say a lack of pocket presence/gunshy).

He was always average...that season he was above average because he didn't have to be a QB. He could simply manage the game (down and distance) with first reads and handoffs. That doesn't make a QB "good" IMO. It makes him "successful", in the same vein Trent Dilfer was successful.

***I patiently await the Tannehill supporters who will now say that I'm either a "hater", or a sh*tty fan.

I've said this recently and I'll repeat this. Drake is a weapon but he as film has shown up on him, at this point he is not a guy that will consistently beat down a defense. Hes just not patient enough. But he is a great closer

I've said this recently and I'll repeat this. Drake is a weapon but he as film has shown up on him, at this point he is not a guy that will consistently beat down a defense. Hes just not patient enough. But he is a great closer
He'll get there. He's still just a young grasshopper.

Back
Top Bottom