After Lineman, next priority is Hudson Houck | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Lineman, next priority is Hudson Houck

I may not be popular for bringing this up, but according to the palm beach post, Linehan will want to bring his OL coach here from Minnesota...

If Linehan is hired, it's believed he'll try to bring Vikings offensive line coach Steve Loney and quality control/offensive assistant Randy Hanson with him. Hanson is considered Linehan's right-hand man and had worked with him before at the University of Washington for two seasons (1996-97).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...an19,0,2234360.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Although Houck would be the best option... You can't blame Linehan for bring what he feels works with him.

If Hudson does not stay in Diego- I see him back in Dallas. If not, a possible coordinator position. IMHO

I can't imagine how SC would allow this to happen. LT (the real LT;)) must be quite anxious, not to mentioned ticked off. I would love to have him.

L.T.21 said:
If Hudson does not stay in Diego- I see him back in Dallas. If not, a possible coordinator position. IMHO
Houk is looking for a big paycheck... $900K I believe a year.

Last I heard Miami and Cleveland where the primary lookers.

Is Parcells looking to replace people on the offensive side of the ball?

L.t.21

How long was Hudson coaching that O-line?

I mean he did some wonders with some mediocre talent last year but, what did he do the previous years? I remember the Bolts O-lines where terrible for quit a few years there.

Spray Mucus said:
Last I heard Miami and Cleveland where the primary lookers.

Is Parcells looking to replace people on the offensive side of the ball?

No, Parcells promoted the TE coach to OC yesterday.

He will be at the Senior bowl where he will be contacted by someone

And what of Houck? Coaches are not just coaches. Like everyone else with a job, some are better at it than others. Assistant coaches work in anonymity, especially in this town, where Marty Schottenheimer muzzles them, but no coach in the NFL has a better reputation than Houck, who has done wonders with lines hastily written up.

Houck is free to seek other employment as of Jan. 25, when the entire staff will be at the Senior Bowl (where every unemployed coach on earth is looking for work). Apparently unhappy with the money being offered him here, he is going to look elsewhere. He will not be on the street for long.

He's got a great rep and he's trying to make a name for himself, but there's something to be said for a cheaper guy who we know can work with the offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, and also lets face it, Steve Loney's line isn't half bad.

But, maybe we WILL get Houck. It would be like we went overboard and got 3 of the most coveted coaches available...Saban, Linehan, and Houck. Who next?

ckparrothead said:
He's got a great rep and he's trying to make a name for himself, but there's something to be said for a cheaper guy who we know can work with the offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, and also lets face it, Steve Loney's line isn't half bad.

But, maybe we WILL get Houck. It would be like we went overboard and got 3 of the most coveted coaches available...Saban, Linehan, and Houck. Who next?
Jim Schwartz would be nice but Dean Pees would be good too.Good times are ahead :)

L.T.21 said:
Its not going to be a matter of whether or not Spanos will pay Hud. Its a matter of Hud wanting a coordinating position. Also, if he were to leave the Bolts, which I wont be mad about. I expect him to reunite with Jerry Jones in Dallas. Dallas didnt re-sign their O-line coach, a move to possibly signify a reunion with the Hud man.

Spanos, Marty, and the players know the value of Hud, a million bucks is chump change for Spanos...it matters to Hud where he will end up.
LT if its not about dollars, how come he is not resigned? They were paying him probably dirt cheap.

L.T.21 said:
Face it LT he is coming to Miami, and he will be back to visit you next year with the Dolphins!

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Face it LT he is coming to Miami, and he will be back to visit you next year with the Dolphins!
hey, I have no problem with him in Mia. As said, I think it would be a great pick up for you guys and a great loss for us. I am facing it. However, from what I've heard, in this case- its not about the money, but yet the desire to possibly get a coordinating position.

Hud is the man I agree. I just dont see the organization letting him go simply because of "chump change" unless they have someone in line thats better. If he were to leave San Diego, I see him in Dallas. He's always had a good relationship with Jones, and with them not re-signing their OL coach, he might head there.

One of the reasons for his success is also having partial "luck" and a good evaluating team. Our line consisted of:

Roman Oben (solid veteran previously with Bucs) ; played well, getting old

Fonoti (Should have been a pro-bowler this year) ; was out on IR last year

J.Ball/Hardwick (I liked Ball when he was with us, unfortunately his greed killed his NFL career- Hardwick was solid out of Purdue but Ball better)

Mike Goff (solid veteran, very durable, something ridicoulous like missed 2 games in 3 years)- was very VERY solid this year

Shane Olivea (some say should have been Lineman ROY)- 7th round pick! This guy will be a pro-bowler next year! You heard here first.

So yes, I give Hud a lot of credit for coaching, but we also had some luck in finding these hard nosed players.

Cant wait to see you guy in San Diego- I'll be making fish fry, baked salmon dip, Flipper soup;-) I've already extended my invite to some forum members to join our tailgate party...We'll give them carne asada instead of the dolphins we plan on putting on a stick;-)

Back
Top Bottom