After losing out on C.J. Anderson, what's next for Dolphins at RB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After losing out on C.J. Anderson, what's next for Dolphins at RB?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
What now?

That has to be the question the Miami Dolphins are asking themselves at running back after the Denver Broncos decided to match a four-year, $18 million offer Tuesday for restricted free agent C.J. Anderson.
The Dolphins were hoping Anderson could fill a huge void left by 2015 leading rusher Lamar Miller, who signed a $26 million contract in free agency with the Houston Texans. Anderson, 25, was a player on the rise who averaged 4.7 yards per carry last year and is familiar with new Dolphins head coach Adam Gase. But Denver also saw enough value in Anderson to match the contract and leave Miami empty handed at running back.
If the season started today, Miami would start 2015 fifth-round pick Jay Ajayi, who rushed for just 187 yards last season. It would be extremely risky for the team to go into the season with Ajayi as the lead running back. The Dolphins need consistent, dependable production from the tailback position to help the offense and take pressure off of quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
Options are thinning for Miami because the best part of free agency is over. Several top running backs, such as Miller, Anderson, Doug Martin, Matt Forte and Chris Ivory have all signed with other teams. Perhaps the Dolphins could search for second- and third-tier options such as Alfred Morris, LeGarrette Blount and James Starks. But is this enough?
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...on-c-j-anderson-whats-next-for-dolphins-at-rb

Realize that they are gonna give Ajayi a shot

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'd sign Starks for his pass protecting ability, and the fact that I think he showed to be a decent slasher last season. Then draft someone on day 3. Still digging for more options in the late rounds.

Let's bring Lazor back, he was fine not using any RBs in his system.

All that wait for nothing. I don't blame Tannenbaum because of it like some here. But they need to find a RB to pair with Ajayi and that will take another 6 weeks to do.

I think we will look in the middle rounds of the draft. But if we sign a veteran, I like Alfred Morris.

Ajayi is a jump cut back like Beastmode, but Morris is a true power back to bang through those lightweight run and chase LB's that are en vogue right now. He is true smash mouth and would be a nice compliment to Ajayi's style.

But at least one of those guys needs to be a 3rd down back with good pass pro skills. Not sure where either of those guys are with that. Ajayi was chastised for it last year, but is a very good receiver out of the backfield with the speed, vision and elusiveness to really do some damage after the catch. So if Ajayi could become a good pass protection back, he would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The most overrated concept in football is that you can find a good running back easily. Sure, there are the random undrafteds like CJ Anderson. Or Alfred Morris in the 7th. What about the gazillion undrafted running backs that go nowhere? Or the jazillion running backs drafted up and down the draft that are poor or mediocrities at best? From a first round guy in Trent Richardson on down, there are a ton of whiffs.

There's no evidence, other than blind hope, that the Dolphins will find a running back on the cheap somewhere. If they try to get a back in that second or third round range, will the Dolphins be fortunate and get Demarco Murray type talent? Or, will it be the Daniel Thomas, JJ Johnson type of second round pick? There's no reason to believe we'd get the right guy.

I wonder what RB we could get through a trade? Float a 5th rd pick and maybe land a Andre Ellington or Geovani Bernard type back?

The most overrated concept in football is that you can find a good running back easily. Sure, there are the random undrafteds like CJ Anderson. Or Alfred Morris in the 7th. What about the gazillion undrafted running backs that go nowhere? Or the jazillion running backs drafted up and down the draft that are poor or mediocrities at best? From a first round guy in Trent Richardson on down, there are a ton of whiffs.

There's no evidence, other than blind hope, that the Dolphins will find a running back on the cheap somewhere. If they try to get a back in that second or third round range, will the Dolphins be fortunate and get Demarco Murray type talent? Or, will it be the Daniel Thomas, JJ Johnson type of second round pick? There's no reason to believe we'd get the right guy.
There are hits and a lot of misses at every position in the draft. The middle and lower rounds have a high miss percentage. But, I'd say that RB is one of the lowest miss percentages of the middle rounds. This is because of the high pass numbers and RB by committee approach causing them to be devalued.

The good ones tend to drop into the middle rounds and only the true cream of the crop prospects make the top 2 rounds anymore. They play less snaps than a nickel corner on most teams.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The reason you don't waste high picks on running backs now a days is because they have the shortest life span of any position and take the most abuse. Also a running back needs a system that works. Look at Demarco left Dallas and was trash. There should never be a reason to draft a running back in the first. Name me the last team that won a Superbowl with a running back drafted high.

It doesn;t matter who our running back is with the current offensive line turnstyle. You could put Barry Sanders in his prime back there and he won't gain yards. Why we continue to ignore the offensive line is beyond my comprehension. We are in for another year or Tanny running for his life and thousands of false starts and holding penalties.

I'd feel better about the "running backs are a dime a dozen" line of thinking if the Dolphins made a subtantial attempt TO UPGRADE THEIR HORRIFIC O-LINE.

Instead it's yet another year of assumption that poor players will magically transform into unicorns that piss glitter and lottery tickets.

The top 3 draft prospects at RB are stacked Elliott, Henry, and Booker. I feel like all 3 prospects have superstar potential.

Back
Top Bottom